Columbia Hills State Park (Dalles Mountain Ranch)

ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited May 11, 2012 in Landscapes
I made my first trip to Dalles Mountain Ranch area of Columbia Hills State Park here in Washington this weekend. While a lot of the trip was a bust due to the heavy wind and my unfamiliarity with the area, I did come away with one photo I'm quite happy with. This is from just after sunrise yesterday morning. Comments and criticism are welcome!

chsp1.jpg
Kris

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    No criticism for this one, Kris. That is one gorgeous image. Nice work! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    No criticism for this one, Kris. That is one gorgeous image. Nice work! thumb.gif

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.
    Kris
  • CrokeyCrokey Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    A wonderful, pastoral scene. I really feel "in" this place, like I'm part of the story:resting on a low rock among the flowers on a Sunday evening. Wonderfully processed, too.
    edited May 9, 2012
    Crokey wrote: »
    A wonderful, pastoral scene. I really feel "in" this place, like I'm part of the story:resting on a low rock among the flowers on a Sunday evening. Wonderfully processed, too.

Thank you!
    Kris
  • pinkapinka Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    beautiful :D
    ▶If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals

FOTOINNA.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 10, 2012
    A shot like this definitely can make a whole trip worthwhile. Just gorgeous. Can you say a word about the processing which I happen to like a lot? ear.gif
  • ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Its aLL BEEN SAID
    Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
    branhamphoto.com
  • bhundtbhundt Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Wow, very nice!
  • LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Love it!
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Very nice flowers Kris. I'll be there next week, can't wait. Hopefully I'll finding something to shoot vs. just wandering around since it will be my first time as well. I hear Dalles Mtn. Rd. can offer some good views.
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    really nice composition! beautiful colors
    edited May 11, 2012
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Very nice flowers Kris. I'll be there next week, can't wait. Hopefully I'll finding something to shoot vs. just wandering around since it will be my first time as well. I hear Dalles Mtn. Rd. can offer some good views.

Thanks! If it helps, this shot was taken right near the old ranch, about 3-4 miles in from WA-14, if I remember correctly. I believe it's the only spot where there are buildings along the road. Coming from WA-14, if you park on the side of the road right near the buildings (and where the road forks), then walk over the hill to the right (before the buildings), you'll see this fence (and a rusted out old car just beyond it). This was the only place where I got good shots (or a good shot), since it was the only spot somewhat shielded from the wind when I was there.

Next time, I'd like to do the hike up at the end of the road that forks to the left at the ranch. I drove out it a mile or so to the trailhead, but I didn't feel like it was worth doing the hike when it was so windy and I probably wouldn't get any worthwhile shots up there anyway. But I could see fields FULL of yellow in the distance up on those hills. I've heard that the views up there are amazing as well.

Anyway, have fun on your trip!
    Kris
    edited May 11, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    A shot like this definitely can make a whole trip worthwhile. Just gorgeous. Can you say a word about the processing which I happen to like a lot? ear.gif

Thanks for your comments! Processing-wise, I did it a little differently than I've done in the past. Using Photoshop is definitely a continuous learning experience, and I feel like I still have a lot to learn in this area. I really appreciate the feedback on the processing though.

This final shot is all from a single exposure, but I processed it twice from the raw file - once for the sky (darkened about a stop and with some extra noise reduction since I shot at ISO 400 due to the wind) and once for everything else (with no major adjustments). I then blended them together manually using a layer mask, which is something I'm still learning how to do well. The fenceposts made this a bit more challenging, but I got it done. Once I got a nice blend, I added a dodge/burn layer and darkened the sky further, then did some manual dodging and burning of the flowers and fenceposts. I then added adjustment layers for levels (one overall one with some minor adjustments and one with a mask just affecting the sky that added a bunch more contrast), curves (adding some more contast), and saturation (bumping up the master, blue, and magenta just a little). That was it for the main processing.

For the final image shown here, I also cropped it a bit, cutting out some dying flowers on the bottom. In the end, I liked the final cropped composition better anyway, so it was well worth it to do this. Then I resized and sharpened it for the web.

I'm going to get a couple of prints made this weekend as well, as I want to see how it looks on paper.
    Kris
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thank you all for the kind words!
    Kris