Options

Security question

imajicaimajica Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited June 30, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

Is there a way to set a folder as unlisted, and the galleries inside that folder as visible? I want to be able to give a link to someone to a specific folder, which would be hidden to everyone. Inside that folder I have a lot of albums. I do not want to give the person links to all these albums. easier to give top level access and then the person can browse within that folder. Right now the only thing i can seem to do is make the folder unlisted, but by doing that, it makes all subfolders and galleries inherit that setting. Meaning that people cannot see the galleries unless i give them individual links to them all.

Google also has an interesting way of dealing with security... I can give a link to someone, but i also have the option of expiring that link should i decide i no longer want people to have access. With smugmug, the only way to revoke a link would would be to either manually change the link or to password protect the gallery. Would be nice to keep the same master link but create temp throwaway links to the galleries.

Thanks
Imajica

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2015
    Unlisted children, galleries/pages/folders, will never show in a folder. The only way I can see to share is
    create a "share group" with all the unlisted galleries in it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    Hello Imajica

There is a way to stop people from seeing various branches from your homepage. And that is to have no folders or galleries on the homepage. If that is a valid sacrifise then all you have to do is to send out the link to the top folder in a branch to whoever you want to see it.

And these viewers can see all the folders and galleries beneath. They can also select to go to your homepage but since it would be empty they can not walk down any other branch. Also there is no need to use Unlisted or Passwords unless you want to hide something further down

The minus here is that you need an empty homepage. If that is not possible for you then my suggestion is of no interest.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories