Options

"New" Smug preview.....

Randyp1234Randyp1234 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited September 18, 2015 in SmugMug Support
When the "new" Smug was announced back in 2013 I took a look at things and seem to remember there being a way to play around with the new design features and then being able to click a link to preview what the public would see before you permanently transitioned to the new site. I'm finally taking a look at moving and can't seem to find the preview option. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Randy

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited June 7, 2015
    Randyp1234 wrote: »
    ... I'm finally taking a look at moving and can't seem to find the preview option.
    Did you click the preview button earlier? If I remember correctly the preview button activates access to new smug on your site; from the point at which you click it you will be able to see both old and new smug until you unveil your new site. Until you publish your new smug site your viewers will see your legacy smug site.

The preview button should be available when you are logged in. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1212681.

It appears that there is a second method to start working on your new smugmug site, try http://www.smugmug.com/migration.

Based on this thread that you posted back in 2013 it looks like you already migrated to a state where you should have both old and new smug available to you. I've included a screen shot below (grabbed from the help page referenced above) that shows how to move between the two views of your site while you are logged in.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2015
    Did you click the preview button earlier? If I remember correctly the preview button activates access to new smug on your site; from the point at which you click it you will be able to see both old and new smug until you unveil your new site. Until you publish your new smug site your viewers will see your legacy smug site.

The preview button should be available when you are logged in. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1212681.

It appears that there is a second method to start working on your new smugmug site, try http://www.smugmug.com/migration.

Based on this thread that you posted back in 2013 it looks like you already migrated to a state where you should have both old and new smug available to you. I've included a screen shot below (grabbed from the help page referenced above) that shows how to move between the two views of your site while you are logged in.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise,

Yes, I've done the preview thing but, as you read in that older thread, I wanted to keep the new view similar to the older view and was hoping I could toggle between my logged in view and what the public sees to verify what I've done will accomplish what I was trying to do. Now that I've thought about it more I think what I was remembering was in the old system you could click a button the basically gave you the "logged out" view. Obviously in this case that would be the old view also. All I want to do is verify that unlisted folders and galleries don;t really show. Guess I'll have to take it on faith and go live with the new features.

Randy
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited June 7, 2015
    I wanted to keep the new view similar to the older view and was hoping I could toggle between my logged in view and what the public sees to verify what I've done will accomplish what I was trying to do. Now that I've thought about it more I think what I was remembering was in the old system you could click a button the basically gave you the "logged out" view. Obviously in this case that would be the old view also. All I want to do is verify that unlisted folders and galleries don;t really show. Guess I'll have to take it on faith and go live with the new features.
    Did you see the writeup titled Get the Legacy Look on Your New SmugMug Site? It was published soon after new smugmug became available - it you're trying to mimic your old site it might be helpful.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2015
    I did, thanks. I think I saw you pointing it out to someone else in another thread and that's what I've used to tweak things a little bit other than what I already had done. I just need to bite the bullet and make the swap. I just don't like doing things like this without being able to un-do the change.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2015
    Thanks Denise,

Yes, I've done the preview thing but, as you read in that older thread, I wanted to keep the new view similar to the older view and was hoping I could toggle between my logged in view and what the public sees to verify what I've done will accomplish what I was trying to do. Now that I've thought about it more I think what I was remembering was in the old system you could click a button the basically gave you the "logged out" view. Obviously in this case that would be the old view also. All I want to do is verify that unlisted folders and galleries don;t really show. Guess I'll have to take it on faith and go live with the new features.

Randy

While you are setting up your new site, you can achieve "oggle between my logged in view and what the public sees to verify what I've done will accomplish what I was trying to do" by using two browsers. One where you're logged in, and one where you are not.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2015
    Thanks ChancyRat - but I can't do that until I "unveil" the new site, which I haven't done yet.

Randy
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2015
    Oh good grief you are right. I spent about 6 months working to get my site ready. You would think I would remember these things. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2015
    No worries!! Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited September 18, 2015
    I am frustrated that there is no way of seeing the non-logged-in state of my still-to-be unveiled site. But looking ahead, I'm wondering about the behavior of the preview once I am live on the new SmugMug. Will it show me the non-logged in state before I publish changes? If not, will there be an undo function to back out the last set of changes after they are published?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    Below that top logged in header bar is what logged out will look like. Might have a couple extra tool buttons
    but everything should look basically like logged out.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    Good. Thanks.
  • Options
    Richard wrote: »
    I am frustrated that there is no way of seeing the non-logged-in state of my still-to-be unveiled site. But looking ahead, I'm wondering about the behavior of the preview once I am live on the new SmugMug. Will it show me the non-logged in state before I publish changes? If not, will there be an undo function to back out the last set of changes after they are published?

If you're editing HTML or CSS content blocks, edits will populate immediately on the page.
    I recall that some CSS edits in your site-wide CSS may not show immediately - you may have to publish to see them. Sorry I can't recall details, but this didn't happen often to me.

And, no, there is not an un-do function. If you're talking about location and folder, gallery, photo blocks, you could take screen shots of what a page looks like before you modify them. If you're talking about HTML, text, or CSS blocks, on all folders, all galleries, or gallery by gallery, there is no better tool to back up your site than Nicholas Sherlock's Chrome extension: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240752

Before I begin any substantive edits, I run the tool. If I need to retrieve HTML/CSS, it's right there.

Also one "caution" about one type of edit: If you intend to make a gallery "separate", "just this gallery", be careful to make it separate before you begin the edits. {points to self who never learns}. In the case where you miss doing this and you edit a gallery and publish as you go, thinking you are working on unique customization for that gallery, but in fact you've modified all galleries with this code - and then in the middle of adding yet new code to this gallery that you don't want to lose for this gallery, do these in this order to correct the mess:

- While you are in the unique gallery that should be the only one with the customization, choose "just this gallery", to separate it.
    - Publish
    - Back in Customization, go to "all galleries", and remove the problem content blocks.
    - Publish