edited June 24, 2015 in SmugMug Support
What's up with the Picassa link?

Is this bad link, now permanent?
Rags

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    Could you please use some more words to describe what the problem is exactly? Thanks.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    I upload a photograph (as a test).

The tab on the lower right appears, until the photo is loaded (?)

I then get a smugmug page that says my photo didn't upload & to check for the reason why.

Then there is no reason why.

This has been occurring for months

I now use a different uploader, but I prefer the Picassa uploader
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2012
    Moved to SmugMug Support.
  • Options
    DRAND1980DRAND1980 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2012
    Hopefully, I can help a bit here because I know what he is meaning.

When you use the SmugMug button to upload photo/photos within Picasa, you will have an unsuccessful upload.

The only way around this is click the SmugMug (SM) button and choose "Logout".
    You'll then be asked if you want to cancel your upload and will have to do so.
    Next, click the SM button again and you'll be prompted with this ERROR:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30468439/SmugMug%20Error.jpg

After chosing "Yes" on the script error, LOGIN with a fresh session.
    You'll then be allowed to upload FOR THAT SESSION. Once Picasa is closed, this will have to be repeated on next upload.

Clearing/Cleaning your internet cache doesn't help. Switching default browsers will not help. Even reinstalling the SM Button itself will not solve this issue. I've recieved the run-around on several occasions about this, and it's the script error that is the issue.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    There are currently issues with the Picasa uploader and I would recommend that you use the 'export to folder' option within Picasa instead. Then use the SmugMug browser uploader to upload the photos you exported.
    I'm sorry for any inconvenience.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DRAND1980DRAND1980 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2012
    Thanks for the response. I'll go ahead and start working with the SendToSmugMug application.

Are there any fixes in the works, and if so, do you have an ETA?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    There are currently issues with the Picasa uploader and I would recommend that you use the 'export to folder' option within Picasa instead. Then use the SmugMug browser uploader to upload the photos you exported.
    I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Now I go to smugmug,identify or create a new smug folder, then browse for my folder (PIA), mark & upload

I got used to the convenience of picassa upload button
    Rags
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    I only use Picasa for uploading to Smugmug. That's all it's on the computer for.
    I turned off all automatic Picasa updates over a year ago, so am pretty sure that the problem is on Smugmug's end. They must have changed something.

There seems to be a mistaken belief that all the uploaders Smugmug approves, such as Java, actually work. For me, anyway, that couldn't be further from the truth. Of all of the uploaders Smugmug offers, Only Old Faithful works. The rest don't even open, or the uploads fail.
    To upload whole galleries, especailly weddings, in such tiny batches via Old Faithful is a time consuming pain beyond appropriate words.

I'm going to paste a support heroes e mail response to me for the use of everyone who needs it, since obviously many of us are dealing with the same Picasa upload problem.

"JUL 14, 2012 | 08:23PM PDT
    Hi,

Thank you for contacting SmugMug Support. We're sorry to hear you're having troubles uploading.

For Picasa, try this workaround:

1) Open your computer's default browser and go to www.smugmug.com
    2) If you see "Logout" on the top of the page, click it (to logout). If you see "Login", click that to login.
    3) Launch Picasa and click the SmugMug Button
    4) Logout from Picasa. Then log back in.
    5) Close the window in Picasa.
    6) Click the Picasa Button again."

I then wrote:
    "Thank you-

I tried to apply the steps below, but was stopped at "log out from Picasa". How do I do that? Do you mean from their web program? I am using just the computer based program, not the web one. Where is the 'log out'?"

The response:
    " To see the logout option, click on the SmugMug button and use the logout at the top of the SmugMug page that comes up."

When I do these steps outlined above, Picasa's uploader works.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    smurfy wrote: »
    Of all of the uploaders Smugmug offers, Only Old Faithful works. The rest don't even open, or the uploads fail.
    For issues with browser uploaders, please contact us at our HelpDesk with details on what browser and operating system you use along with what antivirus, firewall or internet security software you have installed. Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    I only use Picasa for uploading to Smugmug. That's all it's on the computer for.
    I turned off all automatic Picasa updates over a year ago, so am pretty sure that the problem is on Smugmug's end. They must have changed something.

There seems to be a mistaken belief that all the uploaders Smugmug approves, such as Java, actually work. For me, anyway, that couldn't be further from the truth. Of all of the uploaders Smugmug offers, Only Old Faithful works. The rest don't even open, or the uploads fail.
    To upload whole galleries, especailly weddings, in such tiny batches via Old Faithful is a time consuming pain beyond appropriate words.

I'm going to paste a support heroes e mail response to me for the use of everyone who needs it, since obviously many of us are dealing with the same Picasa upload problem.

"JUL 14, 2012 | 08:23PM PDT
    Hi,

Thank you for contacting SmugMug Support. We're sorry to hear you're having troubles uploading.

For Picasa, try this workaround:

1) Open your computer's default browser and go to www.smugmug.com
    2) If you see "Logout" on the top of the page, click it (to logout). If you see "Login", click that to login.
    3) Launch Picasa and click the SmugMug Button
    4) Logout from Picasa. Then log back in.
    5) Close the window in Picasa.
    6) Click the Picasa Button again."

I then wrote:
    "Thank you-

I tried to apply the steps below, but was stopped at "log out from Picasa". How do I do that? Do you mean from their web program? I am using just the computer based program, not the web one. Where is the 'log out'?"

The response:
    " To see the logout option, click on the SmugMug button and use the logout at the top of the SmugMug page that comes up."

When I do these steps outlined above, Picasa's uploader works.
    Hope this helps.

Is that for one upload????

If it is .... holy sh*******, they're kidding right?
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    There seems to be a mistaken belief that all the uploaders Smugmug approves, such as Java, actually work.

SmugMug accepts kabillions of photos every single day. The supported uploaders do indeed work. I use the HTML5 as it's the fastest uploader. If you are having difficulty making the Simple (Java) Uploader work, or the HTML5 Uploader work, there there's something on your computer set to prevent them. Do what Sebastian says and work with the heroes. I can tell you for a fact that SmugMug spent a lot of time and energy making extremely fast and reliable in-browser uploaders.

The Picasa uploader is probably the slowest uploader of all of them, and I'd never use it.
  • Options
    GoodieGoodie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2012
    The Picasa uploader may be the slowest in your opinion, but it is by far the most convenient. It doesn't work, and all this chatter about logout, login in is silly. When are you going to fix it? It worked perfectly in Picasa 2, but not at all in Picasa 3. I'm having the same issues (and have been for months) that all other posters are having.
  • Options
    lercheberglercheberg Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2015
    Although slow, the uploader add-in for Picasa was the most convenient for me. It was working fine for me until earlier this year. I am using Picasa 3.9 (and I have been on that version for a long time). Now when I click on the Smugmug button in Picasa I get this error below. Has this been fully killed now or is there something I can do to get it working again?

The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the [URL="javascript:location.reload()"]Refresh[/URL] button, or try again later. System does not support the specified encoding. Error processing resource 'http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/add.mg'....
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>