Options

Keywords, Embedded vs SM Edit, Google Search

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited April 11, 2015 in SmugMug Support
One thing that has become known to me lately is the slight disconnect between the metadata inside of an image, and the metadata that is stored at Smugmug.

Example:

- You have an image with metadata (IPTC I think) with keyword "JOE"
- You upload to Smugmug, and Smugmug sees "JOE"
- On Smugmug you edit the keyword to "MIKE"
- Alternatively: In Lightroom you edit it to MIKE and publish with SM LR Plugin

In either of these cases, Smugmug has the keyword "MIKE" but the actual, real image there has the keyword "JOE". If you download the image and look at it with a exif browser, it says "JOE" and not the "MIKE" you changed it to.

So.... here's my question: In Google in its walk -- what does it see?

Does Google look at the actual image IPTC data?

Does Smugmug pass meta tags (or something) that replace it?

Basically -- will Google see JOE or MIKE or both?

And really this is a two part question:

1) For the WEB aspect of Google (I'm guessing here it is strictly SM's value, i.e. MIKE)?
2) For the image search aspect of Google?

I'm trying to revise some of my keywords to get better hit rates for individual names (player names in baseball). Right now I have things like "15 Niko Goodrum" as a single keyword, but I'm thinking of changing them to separate keywords, e.g. "Niko Goodrum","Niko","Goodrum". This is pretty easy to change and publish to SM quickly -- the SM Plugin does it pretty easily, and quickly, since it copies only the metadata. But to change the embedded image I have to re-upload all the image data, which is dozens if not hundreds of gigabytes, and I'd rather avoid -- but if the only way to make them truly visible in google image search is to have them embedded, I'll need to do that.

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2015
    No one?

Shorter version of the question: For Google Image Search to find an image by keyword, does it matter if the keyword is embedded in IPTC, or if it is just tacked on inside of Smugmug?