Options

Looking for an intelligent sync uploader

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited April 9, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I went to help.smugmug.com page, and it seems most uploaders no longer work.
The web uploader is good, but its a dumb uploader. Suppose your internet connection breaks during an overnight upload, you only get to know in morning.
Unlike dropbox folder sync, there is no uploader which is persistent, i.e. keep trying similar to dropbox folder sync which syncs a folder on the fly, even over patchy internet connections.
Sometimes on field with 3G, internet connection keeps breaking. Usually, at night I put it up for upload, and then in the morning I see that only 6 pics got uploaded due to bad connection. If I had woken up and restarted, things would have been fine.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2015
    There is no sync utility currently. It's been requested by others as well so please add your suggestion here:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2015
    What are you using to edit? If you are using Lightroom, the Smugmug plugin is a great tool for this, and does sync intelligently -- it tracks what you change, uploads the image if you make development changes, uploads the metadata (but not image) if only that changes, will optionally delete images on SM if you remove from Lightroom, etc.

I use it continuously to keep my entire web site updated, just periodically hit the the publish button and let it figure out what changed since the last time.

I don't suggest this is a solution to broken connections, as even with this you have to put "publish" again -- but it does keep very good track of what's done, not done, changed, etc. so a restart is truly just one button again.