Nice names

apexonephotoapexonephoto Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited May 30, 2011 in Bug Reporting
I consider this a bug.

www.apexonephoto.com
I was able to create a category:
South Buxton Raceway, Merlin, ON, May, 28, 2011 with originally this nicename:
SouthBuxtonRacewayMerlinONMay2-1

This nicename is two characters over the 30 character limit, yet using the demo version of Star Explorer I was able to create them.

I also have a gallery from the week before named
South Buxton Raceway, Merlin, ON, May, 21, 2011 with this nicename:
SouthBuxtonRacewayMerlinONMay2

When I clicked the May 28th category, it would just go to the May 21st category. I eventually renamed the category with the same name, and a different shorter nicename and that resolved the problem. I believe that it's not possible to create a greater then 30 character nicename the conventional way, and that since Star Explorer is a third party app it doesn't affect every user.

Using Chrome on a Mac.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    If I'm reading this right, sounds like a bug with Star Explorer, did you report this to Nik?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    If I'm reading this right, sounds like a bug with Star Explorer, did you report this to Nik?
    From the description, it's unclear whether the problem is with Star Explorer or with the API. It could be that the API is allowing too long a nicename and then that long nicename doesn't actually work. The API should be rejecting the gallery creation when the nicename submitted is too long.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

I did not report it to Nik, since it affects the operation of my Smugmug site. Since I used the demo version, and I rarely use my Windows PC, it probably won't affect me again. I know what caused it, don't need to know why, just thought I would bring it to light. I also realize I am one of the very few people who creates such long category names.

Thanks for responding on your Holiday.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    "Don't shoot a messenger" :-)
    S*E is sending down the API whatever user input is (with some very small modifications) yet it is up to servers how to react on too long names, etc.
    Just my two bits...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    "Don't shoot a messenger" :-)
    S*E is sending down the API whatever user input is (with some very small modifications) yet it is up to servers how to react on too long names, etc.
    Just my two bits...

Nik, it's a non-issue for me, I can imagine some people getting snagged on it. S*E works great, I just need a way to use it over my network.