Post Production Software Poll

BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited August 14, 2009 in Finishing School
I have recently been spending some time reading many reviews about the various post-production software that is available today. One of my goals is to improve my work flow and the quality of my output. I don't think that what I am using today is helping me attain that goal.

Prices vary over the spectrum of packages and are a factor in any decision to purchase software. I believe how others are using their software is also a major factor in the purchase. Manufacturers often hire writers to produce testimonial copy for the product packaging and on their websites, and are in my opinion unreliable. So I have come to you for your honest opinions.

It has been some time since the last polls were taken on DGrin regarding post-processing software. There have also been some debates about which is the best software to use. The purpose of this poll and thread is not to stir up debate again. It's all about how you use the software and why. What does it do for you.

There is some new software in the marketplace and some major upgrades to existing software. I'd like to ask you, the photographers who use the software everyday, what you like, and if it has improved the quality of your output and your work flow.

If you use one or more of the products listed, vote for the one you use the most and please explain how the other software also plays a part in the process.

Thanks for your participation.
http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"

What Post Production Software Do You Use? 114 votes

Aperture (any version)
9%
mercphotoCatOnecarmel6942BBiggsT. Bombadiljohn laquaticvideographerdlplumercmorganphotographyvonbondsDripfaucet 11 votes
Bibble
2%
dancorderMarkRwillmark 3 votes
Capture NX
1%
Baflodontpanic 2 votes
Corel Photo Paint (any version)
0%
Ric Grupe 1 vote
DXO Optics Pro
0%
psampaz 1 vote
GIMP
5%
quarkxrisdeepbluegeneneuronJuniperDFoxmike 6 votes
iPhoto
0%
Lightroom
25%
jfriendCameronBenA2jogleW.W. Webstereoren1greenpeathebigskyjwwMilnerPeterLyonsarodneyMooreDrivenCuongdarkdragonroletteDonRicklinjopapecabarrywpatsy easley 29 votes
LightZone
0%
Zeus1 1 vote
Paintshop Pro
6%
PupatorMr. 2H2OSweeperslpollettJet JaguarfoxxsmithRacerx7734 7 votes
Photoshop (full - any version)
30%
pathfinderDJ-S1NikolaiChrisJRichardrichterslrsi1986Awais YaqubArt ScottkeithinmelbourneBudley007geezerheatherfeatherjjbongOffTopicfiatsurfcanon400dzweiblumenJayMitchBilsen 35 votes
Picassa
4%
webwizardkitsPupWebglmMileHighAko 5 votes
Portfolio (any version)
0%
Photoshop Elements (any version)
8%
BrianLowtherlsteddgsmithBELphotoslisapAspireBMW KurtSassyShotsjobesteinbikertim1968 10 votes
SmugMug's online photo tools
0%
Software that came with my camera
0%
Other Professional Software
0%
swcolleen 1 vote
Other Consumer Software
1%
lucjrogers 2 votes

Comments

• dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Bibble
    I shoot mainly RAW so the thing I use most is my RAW converter which is Bibble Pro. As it does cropping, curves, lens distortion correction and (basic without paying extra) noise reduction I usually don't need to use anything else. The one thing that annoys me with Bibble is adding keywords as the interface is really clunky (In my opinion Picasa is a great example of how it should be done and I use it for JPGs from my pocket camera)

If I do need to do more to a picture then I use the GIMP as Photoshop is just too expensive.

For panoramas I use PTAssembler as it is fairly cheap and the tutorials on the site were really useful, particularly the bit on seam placement which is simple to understand but not something I would have thought of and is really effective at hiding the joins.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    GIMP
    I have at least a dozen tools, but I am using mainly Gimp for the fancier stuff. (Still learning. Long curve.)

I still use Canon DPP for RAW conversions.

For a quick crop and simple balance adjustments I use Faststone Image Viewer, which provides a number of impressive tools. (Don't like the RAW features, though.)

I use Downloader Pro to rename and file at the start of my workflow.

I still like some of the tools in Picture Window Pro 4. A powerful package that's just not being kept up to date.
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • lucluc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Other Consumer Software
    The poll does not accomodate multiple software choices. mwink.gif
    Do I have to live only with a single program?

Anyhow, my 1st choice is: PhotoLine , a very powerful layer-based image editor (very affordable, does RAW, LAB, everything in 16-bit,...)
    http://www.pl32.com

2nd choice: Helicon Filter , an image editor without the learning curve. For me the better "editor" than Lightroom ( it does not do any image management and applying settigns to multiple images is much harder than LR, though); perfect for the standard photo optimization.
    http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html

3rd choice: Bibble Pro - RAW converter and well known here anyhow.

(BTW, Picasa ? - is it some kind of joke that I do not understand that the name is usually butchered to Picassa ? Too many Picassos? )
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Paintshop Pro
    It depends on what I'm doing to figure out what software I will use.

1. When I am shooting an event for web publication, I use Picasa since I generally have to manage about 1000 photos/event.
    2. For item 1, if I mess up a picture and it needs serious help, I will crank up Paintshop Pro 9 to fix it.
    3. If I shoot higher ISO's, I'll shoot raw and use UFRaw + NeatImage to make the JPG's.
    4. For IR, I'll use Paintshop Pro 9.

My main editor is PSP9; I do minor corrections for straightening, small exposure correction amounts, and cropping in Picasa; and for big prints, corporate work, and for low light, I'll shoot RAW and follow #3.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    luc wrote:

I too live under multiple software.....I think most of us do use at least 2 softwares.....Lightroom and Photoshop.....various versions ......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    luc wrote:

Anyhow, my 1st choice is: PhotoLine , a very powerful layer-based image editor (very affordable, does RAW, LAB, everything in 16-bit,...)
    http://www.pl32.com

2nd choice: Helicon Filter , an image editor without the learning curve. For me the better "editor" than Lightroom ( it does not do any image management and applying settigns to multiple images is much harder than LR, though); perfect for the standard photo optimization.
    http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html

3rd choice: Bibble Pro - RAW converter and well known here anyhow.

(BTW, Picasa ? - is it some kind of joke that I do not understand that the name is usually butchered to Picassa ? Too many Picassos? )
    I felt that a multiple choice poll would skew the results. I'm looking to find out what is your primary choice of software; then what do you use for further refinement if needed. Hence, the request for discussion. And yes, I did spell Picasa incorrectly. I have docked my pay; it should never have happened. bowdown.gif

• RandallPMcMurphyRandallPMcMurphy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I received Capture ONE for free with my d300, so I'll be using that + CS3.

I think thats why people have a workflow, is the need for multiple software no? I see many people using different software for raw, then following up with something else for other aspects of their workflow.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Aperture (any version)
    I think thats why people have a workflow, is the need for multiple software no? I see many people using different software for raw, then following up with something else for other aspects of their workflow.
    A common workflow used to be one program for importing (Photo Mechanic possibly being the best), one for conversion/editing (Photoshop, etc.), another for cataloging. Programs like Aperture and Lightroom are trying to be all things in one package. I decided on Aperture myself. I like the idea more and more of having one environment to work in.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited July 29, 2008
    Is price a consideration
    For a Pro that is established, price may or may not be a consideration. How about someone starting out, or somewhere in between. Any thoughts on this aspect of the software?

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    PS CS (whatever version is the latest at the time).

I shoot RAW exclusively.
    Most of the initial work is done in Bridge + ACR. Fine tuning and advanced work naturally is done in PS.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 6, 2008
    Shooting Raw
    Shooting Raw is something I have never done until just a week ago. The more I read about Aperture and some of the other programs, the more intrigued I was to use that feature of my camera. I have to say shooting raw has opened up a whole new universe for me. I only use PS Elements 6 to post-process my photos at this time and that software has helped to enhance my work.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 6, 2008
    56% of the folks in this poll, use either Photoshop or Lightroom - and Photoshop and Lightroom essentially share the same Adobe Raw converter engine.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Lightroom
    I voted Lightroom, because it's always my front-end, and the vast majority of the time I don't need to do anything more. But I still need Photoshop! Too bad the survey doesn't allow multiple votes. It's sorta like asking a photographer, "what lens do you use"?
    edited September 1, 2008
    Results of the Post Production Poll
    I would just like to say thank you to everyone who voted (84) in the poll and to those that had some time to enter a comment (13).

The total number of people participating in the poll was 84 as of Sep. 1, 2008. Photoshop was the leader with 32.14% (27) using that software as their primary or only post production software. Next up was Adobe Lightroom with a 26.19% (22) response; followed by Apple's Aperture with 10.71% (9) of the vote. I had hoped that the number of voters would have been as great as the number of views (814); however, I suppose that just over 10% is a decent number.

I started this poll to garner information from the masses to help me decide what software to purchase when I bought my new computer. I knew I was going to buy an Apple, however, which model depended on how much I would have left in the budget for software.

I eventually purchased the 24" iMac, 4Gb memory, 3.6Gb CPU, with Aperture 2.0. Big internal HD, external HD and some pretty good backup software that backs-up in folder/file format. This has been one of best purchases I have ever made. I actually have two computers in one. It turns out I owned a copy of XP that now runs in my Parallels desktop, and in turn hosts my Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash Software, and my Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 software. No need to repurchase all of this software for Apple now.

Aperture is easy to use and has a very smooth learning curve. I am currently taking the time to learn it by using the Apple Pro Training Book designed for Aperture. I don't use the PE6 editor running under XP except for some special effects that I like to use, and I don't use the organizer in that software at all. Learning to use Aperture has also helped me to redefine and refine my workflow issues. BTW - my decision to purchase Aperture was financial. I could not afford to buy the Adobe software.

I usually have many apps open at the same and OSX handles it very well. I have no complaints.

Once again, thanks for your input, some of your comments helped in my decision making process.

Bruce

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Aperture (any version)
    BELphotos wrote:
    I would just like to say thank you to everyone who voted (84) in the poll and to those that had some time to enter a comment (13).

The total number of people participating in the poll was 84 as of Sep. 1, 2008. Photoshop was the leader with 32.14% (27) using that software as their primary or only post production software. Next up was Adobe Lightroom with a 26.19% (22) response; followed by Apple's Aperture with 10.71% (9) of the vote. I had hoped that the number of voters would have been as great as the number of views (814); however, I suppose that just over 10% is a decent number.

I started this poll to garner information from the masses to help me decide what software to purchase when I bought my new computer. I knew I was going to buy an Apple, however, which model depended on how much I would have left in the budget for software.

I eventually purchased the 24" iMac, 4Gb memory, 3.6Gb CPU, with Aperture 2.0. Big internal HD, external HD and some pretty good backup software that backs-up in folder/file format. This has been one of best purchases I have ever made. I actually have two computers in one. It turns out I owned a copy of XP that now runs in my Parallels desktop, and in turn hosts my Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash Software, and my Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 software. No need to repurchase all of this software for Apple now.

Aperture is easy to use and has a very smooth learning curve. I am currently taking the time to learn it by using the Apple Pro Training Book designed for Aperture. I don't use the PE6 editor running under XP except for some special effects that I like to use, and I don't use the organizer in that software at all. Learning to use Aperture has also helped me to redefine and refine my workflow issues. BTW - my decision to purchase Aperture was financial. I could not afford to buy the Adobe software.

I usually have many apps open at the same and OSX handles it very well. I have no complaints.

Once again, thanks for your input, some of your comments helped in my decision making process.

Bruce

I love Aperture, and with all the new plug-ins available it does almost everything. wings.gif
  • FoxmikeFoxmike Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2009
    GIMP
    Open source enthousiast
    Hi! I'm an open-source software enthousiast and I use Ubuntu exclusively on my computer, so I managed to get a nice workflow with that. For DAM, I am using F-spot (I would be using Picasa in Windows, though). For RAW conversion, ufraw is my take. Latest version supports lens conversion, which is pretty neat. For anything fancy, it goes through the GIMP. I can't compare, since I haven't tried anything else, but I don't see any reason to either for now! All those componnents are well tied together, I must say.