Kickstarter TriggerHappy Remote

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 25, 2012 in Accessories
SmugIntern Kevin Harrington has come up with this brilliant idea, it's on kickstarter now you can be one of early backers :D

Comments

• HarringtonHarrington Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    SmugIntern Kevin Harrington has come up with this brilliant idea, it's on kickstarter now you can be one of early backers :D

Not quite live yet, but it's going live at 9 am PST. Andy linked you the preview. Looks like Dgrinners get a 7 hour sneek peek :D
    Kevin Harrington | SmugMug | OnEdgePhoto
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    Clever idea thumb.gif
    edited March 5, 2012
    We're live (just now)! Come be one of the first backers!
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    No D90? :-(
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Very clever!
    How long is the cable?
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 5, 2012
    rsquared wrote: »
    No D90? :-(

How could I forget, yes, d90 is supported. I just added it to the description. Very sorry. D80 and D70 are not supported yet.
    edited March 5, 2012
    Very clever!
    How long is the cable?

1 meter
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    OK.....................you have opened a new world for me with this "Kickstart".

First the good. You and your friends seem to be nice bright young men with a pretty cool idea.

I don't know how to say this because I don't intend to be mean, but I really think you need to practice in front of the camera or hire someone else to do the video. The presentation is shall we say stiff. :D Again not trying to be harsh!!!! I know you can do better.

Now as to this "Kickstart" ideology / method......................When I see the term "backer" I think of an investment. I think a potential return on my money. When I see the word "pledge" I think of fund raisers. This is where you give your money to someone or some organization with a cause you want to support. It appears to me what your really asking for are pre-orders for a product still in development.

What happens if you don't meet your funding goals? Does the project simply end? I assume no money will have been taken from the pre-orders.

One thought I did have reading this is have you considered out sourcing the PCB manufacturing and populating / soldering? It looked like your going to try and do this yourself.

At any rate good luck. If you ever build this I will seriously consider getting one.

Sam
    edited March 5, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    OK.....................you have opened a new world for me with this "Kickstart".

First the good. You and your friends seem to be nice bright young men with a pretty cool idea.

I don't know how to say this because I don't intend to be mean, but I really think you need to practice in front of the camera or hire someone else to do the video. The presentation is shall we say stiff. :D Again not trying to be harsh!!!! I know you can do better.

Now as to this "Kickstart" ideology / method......................When I see the term "backer" I think of an investment. I think a potential return on my money. When I see the word "pledge" I think of fund raisers. This is where you give your money to someone or some organization with a cause you want to support. It appears to me what your really asking for are pre-orders for a product still in development.

What happens if you don't meet your funding goals? Does the project simply end? I assume no money will have been taken from the pre-orders.

One thought I did have reading this is have you considered out sourcing the PCB manufacturing and populating / soldering? It looked like your going to try and do this yourself.

At any rate good luck. If you ever build this I will seriously consider getting one.

Sam

Haha, I know I fail on camera mwink.gif If the funding goal is met, Kickstarter will never even charge your credit card.

Outsourcing is too costly unless we order in the millions. The setup and tooling fees for manufactures drives the price per unit very high with a "small" number of orders. Thanks for your advice!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 6, 2012
    This is an awesome way to get started thumb.gif

If you're thinking of an intervalometer for timelapse, this looks to be a very attractive option because it combines the function of several popular devices currently on the market. What's great, in my mind, is that functionality is implemented in software. This means the only unique hardware will be the interface to the camera and that new functionality can be added or problems fixed with the release of software.

Definitely hoping this makes it. I want one.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Is the D7000 supported by chance?
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I want one!
    edited March 6, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    Is the D7000 supported by chance?

Yes! We just added it. See out updated description on kickstarter.
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Pretty sure I glanced right over that unless you just updated it within the last 15 minutes :P My apologies then and thanks for the quick reply! Time to back it!
  • KMpicsKMpics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Can you make an adapter for a Bluetooth stereo headset trigger (instead of a stereo wire)? I have been paying attention to the apps market for something like this and noticed this type of connection and thought it was brilliant.

Also... check out the guys at exposio in Canada, I think they are looking to move their HDR and exif data trigger from a dedicated device to a smart phone and might just be the "backer" you are looking for. thumb.gif

Good luck!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Can you comment on the HDR portion - number of brackets and range of EV?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 6, 2012
    Brilliant! A couple of questions/concerns. Will the app run in the background so that I can still use my phone for other purposes so that I can make calls, check email, etc while shooting all night?

Also, a wire seems so 10 years ago. How about making version with a blue-tooth or wifi adapter to hang off your camera? That way I can sit in my warm car and entertain myself with my smartphone while the app is shooting all night. If I buy into the product now, will I get a discount on the wireless version when it comes out in six months? mwink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Harrington wrote: »
    Haha, I know I fail on camera

You did just fine, Kev. It comes from the heart.
    edited March 6, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Brilliant! A couple of questions/concerns. Will the app run in the background so that I can still use my phone for other purposes so that I can make calls, check email, etc while shooting all night?

Also, a wire seems so 10 years ago. How about making version with a blue-tooth or wifi adapter to hang off your camera? That way I can sit in my warm car and entertain myself with my smartphone while the app is shooting all night. If I buy into the product now, will I get a discount on the wireless version when it comes out in six months? mwink.gif

You can run the app in the background, just like music runs in the background. Checking email will work. Making calls while shooting does not work, because TriggerHappy leverages the audio hardware to control the camera.

We are just getting off the ground, so we decided a wire would make for a reliable start. I can't promise anything about a wireless remote. We'll see depending on the success of our kickstarter.
    edited March 6, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Can you comment on the HDR portion - number of brackets and range of EV?

My current build allows for up to 9 images and 16 stops. Does that answer your question?
    edited March 6, 2012
    My current build allows for up to 9 images and 16 stops. Does that answer your question?

Yes...nice setup!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012

That is AWESOME. Next, I want to see the ability for on-site backup via 3G / 4G, for RAW or JPG files. :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Clever idea! thumb.gif Just backed $55.. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 12, 2012
    What happens if a call comes in during a shoot? If there is something plugged into the headphone jack, presumably the ringtone would go out through it and interfere with whatever interval/bracket is ongoing. Same goes for using apps that might play music while letting the intervalometer run. Will the app automatically put the phone into mute mode and/or block audio via the headphone jack?
    edited March 12, 2012
    What happens if a call comes in during a shoot? If there is something plugged into the headphone jack, presumably the ringtone would go out through it and interfere with whatever interval/bracket is ongoing. Same goes for using apps that might play music while letting the intervalometer run. Will the app automatically put the phone into mute mode and/or block audio via the headphone jack?

I have dibs on the idea! Time-lapse shooting, where the time interval length is dictated by the music rythm mwink.gif Should be pretty cool for a slide show where the same music is used as the bg...:-)
    edited March 14, 2012
    Looks like you guys are funded! Congratulations!
    I would like clarification of any audio issues before I order one. I don't see this addressed in the Kickstarter page and cannot comment there as I am not yet a backer.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 20, 2012
    I would like clarification of any audio issues before I order one. I don't see this addressed in the Kickstarter page and cannot comment there as I am not yet a backer.

I believe this was already answered here.
    Making calls while shooting does not work, because TriggerHappy leverages the audio hardware to control the camera.

That's a show-stopper for me, not only for calls, but also for not being able to play music either during a long night of shooting.
    edited March 20, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    That's a show-stopper for me, not only for calls, but also for not being able to play music either during a long night of shooting.
    Well, I wouldn't count on a multihour exposure on this. TC-N3 is fine for those cases...
    I mostly plan to use it for simple bulb mode shots 15..30 min after sunset... I think I can survive 15-30 min w/o phone calls ;-)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 20, 2012
    I view the no-calls thing as a benefit personally. But I can see how that would be problematic for some. Music, I have an ipod too so I don't worry about that as much.

Can't wait!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    This looks fantastic, I am going to push the button on this, brilliant idea guys!

I dont worry much about making a call while using this, as I can wait to make that call, but if one comes in a screws up a shoot, that would stink.

However, at least on an iphone, the mute switch turns off the ring, but leaves the headphone jack working, right? (although perhaps the phone rings on headphones, not sure about that)