Pinyon High Above Deep Springs Valley

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited July 1, 2016 in Landscapes
Pinyon pine high above Deep Springs Valley, CA.
c&c always welcome.
-Len

PinyonAboveDeepSpringsValley-X2.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2016
    Simply great!clap.giflustbowdown.gif
  • bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2016
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited June 22, 2016
    Well, that's just.... thumb.gif

Did you order those perfect clouds? And it looks like there's a reverse God beam coming up from the lit area in the upper left. headscratch.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2016
    thumb.gif Love the layout and especially the depth layering which really does give a third dimension to the image.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
    edited June 22, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Well, that's just.... thumb.gif

Did you order those perfect clouds? And it looks like there's a reverse God beam coming up from the lit area in the upper left. headscratch.gif

Thanks David... the clouds are payback for all the times I stood there with no clouds or smoke.
    Dixie wrote: »
    thumb.gif Love the layout and especially the depth layering which really does give a third dimension to the image.

Thanks Dixie...
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2016
    Wow, great image. The detail of textures in the tree is striking!

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited June 30, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Wow, great image. The detail of textures in the tree is striking!

Phil
    EvanThomas wrote: »
    Very nice!

Thanks for looking Phil & Evan...
    -Len
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    It's a terrific composition and a fine shot, Len. It appears that the foreground was in shadow. Since that's where your focal point is, you appear to have lightened the shadows, but doing that reduces contrast and depth. As a result, to me, it looks a bit flat. I don't think there's a good fix. It's a good shot that could be even better with different light.
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    I admire the shot, especially the composition. To the point made by Cornflake, this might have been a good candidate for multi-exposure HDR, if you are into that sort of thing.
    edited June 30, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    It's a terrific composition and a fine shot, Len. It appears that the foreground was in shadow. Since that's where your focal point is, you appear to have lightened the shadows, but doing that reduces contrast and depth. As a result, to me, it looks a bit flat. I don't think there's a good fix. It's a good shot that could be even better with different light.

Thanks for your input Don.... and your point is well taken. I should reconsider how I post to the web. My workflow is geared toward inkjet printing on my Epson. I usually take a copy of the raw file final print and reduce it to a jpeg and post it here. The output from my printer shows more contrast and somewhat darker than what appears on DGrin. Most of my DGrin posting seem to be this way. Here is an attempt to show the image as done by my Epson R3000. The clouds over this tree (behind the camera) are also illuminating with considerable reflected light the interior of the tree. I believe the contrast is slightly improved here.

PinyonSundown_prt_3_forWeb2-X2.jpg
    edited June 30, 2016
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    I admire the shot, especially the composition. To the point made by Cornflake, this might have been a good candidate for multi-exposure HDR, if you are into that sort of thing.

Thanks for the kind words Eldon. I sometimes use HDR, but less so these days as my Canon 6d seems to have amazing shadow capture. HDR can be a great tool, but I also find myself spending too much time trying to correct it's side-effects when trying to create a "natural" look.
    Best,
    -Len
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    I sometimes use HDR, but less so these days as my Canon 6d seems to have amazing shadow capture. HDR can be a great tool, but I also find myself spending too much time trying to correct it's side-effects when trying to create a "natural" look.
    Best,
    -Len

Len, you are so right about the great shadow capture of some of the newest cameras. I rarely shoot HDR since I got my Sony A7Rii, but when I do, I've found that the HDR merge engine in Lightroom produces a very natural appearance without any garishness. It is also a very simple process to use.

Once again, great capture. p.s.: I'm heading up to the Bristlecones this weekend.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    I find second to be even more dramatic! Borrowing the term from David, "God Beams" are more noticeable and just taking it to another level!!thumb.gif
    edited July 1, 2016
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    Len, you are so right about the great shadow capture of some of the newest cameras. I rarely shoot HDR since I got my Sony A7Rii, but when I do, I've found that the HDR merge engine in Lightroom produces a very natural appearance without any garishness. It is also a very simple process to use.

Once again, great capture. p.s.: I'm heading up to the Bristlecones this weekend.

I'm so jealous.... have a great time.
    -Len
    edited July 1, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I find second to be even more dramatic! Borrowing the term from David, "God Beams" are more noticeable and just taking it to another level!!thumb.gif

Thanks Taz. Your criticism is always welcome.
    -Len