Selective colour wedding party

DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited March 28, 2007 in Weddings
OK , I don't like the idea of using photoshop to save bad photographs but occasionally I play around with it for special effects , and to give the B&G something different from the usual ...

Samelbeach124modsbwc.jpg
Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Desmond wrote:
    OK , I don't like the idea of using photoshop to save bad photographs but occasionally I play around with it for special effects , and to give the B&G something different from the usual ...

It's something that either works or doesn't.
    Really the shot is not all that bad you know :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • destesdestes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I really like this shot, the setting and position of everyone, very casual. My personal feeling is that the flowers are too yellow, maybe if they were toned down just a bit. Otherwise, well done thumb.gif
    Dale

Canon 30d
    EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM II
    EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 USM
    Speedlight 380EX
    Sekonic L-28c2 Studio Deluxe

http://photography.daleestes.com
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I think this shot is FUN!!

I am partial to yellow and sunflowers though!!

Skippy is right.....people eith like the selective coloring or they don't! It either works or it doesn't!

But like I said....I think fun when I look at your image and I do like it.

Heather
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I feel the same about selective color...it works or it doesn't...not much in between. I too think the flowers are too bright. Maybe a more muted natural tone of yellow would work here.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    On thing to try that I think works well when the color is so BRIGHT is to create a second hue/saturation layer in PS that is the same as the first on (if you did it that way!) and then lower the opacity. That gives you some "duller" flowers that aren't so over powering, but are still colorized.

You can see what I did here with one of my photos here: http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/2082559#107341580. In this, I have lowered the saturation for the entire photo and then colorized the leave and then lowered the saturation for that again. It was just TOO much for me. So it's someplace in between....

Great shot, though!!thumb.gif
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    It's interesting that on my lcd screen it does look a bit bright [ I did have the camera set to 'vivid' that day ] but on my old HP mx70 it looks good .
    All I did was 'magnetic lasso' the flowers , selct inverse , and ctrl/shift/u remove colour from what was left . I never enhanced the flowers in any way [ besides 'vivid' setting ]
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I'm not a huge fan of selective coloring, in the classic days of photography, it was quite impossible to get that. by doing selective color it proves that you slaved over your photos at a computer.

if you still want to leave them as it is, I'd decrease the saturation of the flowers so it's a little more subtle - no so "HEY! look at those FLOWERS!!!!!" and not "Oh this is a such a cool picture!"

I love the picture, and I think it would be a true classic if you took out the flowers and made them black and white as well.

- RE

P.S. - the two guys in the back look like they're about hold hands :) I love when perspective makes things looks different!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I am also not into the idea of slaving for hours over pictures but I do make modifications like this on 5 or 6 of my favourites after a wedding to give them something different and to practice my skills in case I am asked for a special effect . This picture took aout one minute to make though .
    A couple of people comment on the guys at the back holding hands , the groom could have been in a better position and some comment that the bride should be looking up ..... next time I will pose them a bit since this was a snapshot between poses . It was only my second wedding and a I appreciate all the feedback , I'd rather have someone tell me outright that a picture doesn't work than tiptoe around the subject leaving me to believe that it does work when it doesn't . This is the "jump shot " taken minutes later ....
    Samelbeach106modscbw.jpg
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    My favorite flower in the world...I think you did a great job!clap.gif
  • NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I like the bright yellow. Makes it look like an LP album cover. Tres cool.

Like the jump shot too -- esp. the bride and groom.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I like the jump shot.

However the yellow flowers shot doesn't work for me. In it you only got reasonable views of 3 out of the 6 members faces. The bride, who looks like she is in place to be the center of the photo, is looking at the ground and completely blocking the view of one of the other party members. The selective coloring seems to be an attempt to redirect attention away from the people to the flowers, but I can't really accept this shot as a flower picture. IMO, it really has to be about the people.