Advice/Recomendations - Small camera bag

swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited February 21, 2006 in Accessories
Hi! I know there are various threads with camera bag recomendations-and I did search through them but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

Here is my situation....I have a canon digital rebel...currently no additional lens. I have a Tamrac backpack camera bag-i think this is the one (at least it looks like this!)
5248m.jpg

This is where i generally store my camera and all the little things I have for it (filters, cleaning, charger,table top tripod, etc). there is enough room it for other odds and ends if I want to take it all with me. And I am happy with this bag-i have had it for years and used it with my camera before the digital when I did have some extra lens and stuff.

NOW....I would like to get a SMALL camera bag that is used basically just to carry the camera-nothing extra-but one that will also protect my camera,not just carry it. I often take my camera to work with me b/c I take photos of our clients as they "graduate" but I don't need my entire backpack those days.

Can anyone recommend a good, protective yet small camera bag (and I am hoping not to spend a fortune but I do want it to be protective.

I was looking at the Tamrac digital series zoom 3
5683m.jpg

And wondered if anyone had any experience with it?

I am not attached to any brand name-I really just want something that will be smaller than my backpack-protective and hold just the camera.

Can anyone offer any info or advice??

Thanks

Comments

• Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    Ah, the search for the elusive perfect camera bag - I've been looking for years and beginning to think it doesn't exist. In any event, I use a Lowepro Topload Zoom 2 for carrying just my camera (Canon 20D with either a 28-70 2.8L or a 28-135 IS). It works for me and I like the fact I can store a flash in the front pocket (420EX but 580Ex is too big) if need be. Tamrac has bags of similar design. You may also want to give some thought to Tamrac's Velocity sling-style bags.
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    Red Baron wrote:
    Ah, the search for the elusive perfect camera bag - I've been looking for years and beginning to think it doesn't exist. In any event, I use a Lowepro Topload Zoom 2 for carrying just my camera (Canon 20D with either a 28-70 2.8L or a 28-135 IS). It works for me and I like the fact I can store a flash in the front pocket (420EX but 580Ex is too big) if need be. Tamrac has bags of similar design. You may also want to give some thought to Tamrac's Velocity sling-style bags.
    thanks...i will check it out! i appreciate all input!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    Boy, hard to find the perfect bag but those top loading bags make the cakera
    easy to manage. If you wanted to, you could combine it with your existing
    backpack for more space later on.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Did you find one yet? I've been looking for something similar...a camera bag small enough to fit just my camera and a few extras like a spare battery, couple of filters, and a CF reader. I just received a Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home from www.cravedweasel.com. I thought they had pretty good prices, and they ship very quickly. The $3M Home has just enough room to fit my 20D, with the 18-55mm kit lens, and those other goodies mentioned above. (This bag can and does work, but I want just a tiny bit more room - to get the camera in and out of the bag a little more easily - so I'm in the process of sending the 3 Million Dollar Home back and have ordered the slightly larger 4 Million Dollar Home). The 3 Million Dollar Home is about the same size, or maybe just a tad bigger, than the Tamrac bag you have pictured. What's also nice about these Crumpler bags is that they're built really well and they don't look like a camera bag. Happy hunting!

swcolleen wrote:
    thanks...i will check it out! i appreciate all input!
    edited November 3, 2005
    Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't found one that I like yet so I am going to go look at the one you recommended right now! Thanks for posting!

yoyostock wrote:
    Did you find one yet? I've been looking for something similar...a camera bag small enough to fit just my camera and a few extras like a spare battery, couple of filters, and a CF reader. I just received a Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home from www.cravedweasel.com. I thought they had pretty good prices, and they ship very quickly. The $3M Home has just enough room to fit my 20D, with the 18-55mm kit lens, and those other goodies mentioned above. (This bag can and does work, but I want just a tiny bit more room - to get the camera in and out of the bag a little more easily - so I'm in the process of sending the 3 Million Dollar Home back and have ordered the slightly larger 4 Million Dollar Home). The 3 Million Dollar Home is about the same size, or maybe just a tad bigger, than the Tamrac bag you have pictured. What's also nice about these Crumpler bags is that they're built really well and they don't look like a camera bag. Happy hunting!
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Here's a nice bag Nova 1AW
    I use it for 20d 24-7 f/2.8L , 50mm 1.8 , and a lensbaby and you still have room for small stuff
    ...batteries,gray card,small note book,extra cf cards.

Also don't forget about the Domke bags I have a large one so I am no help there.
    But they do make nice bags there not rigid there soft canvas so it hugs your hip

Fred
    edited November 3, 2005
    THanks! I really appreciate the input b/c its hard to know about a bag you haven't used. I don't mind spending some reasonable amount of money to protect my camera:) I have a canon rebel and at the moment I just looking for something that will be able to hold my cam and maybe some filters and memory cards for quick outings where I don't want to carry around any extra lens or charger and stuff. I have a decent sized bag that holds all my stuff when I need it all but I am really appreciating all this input! I need to get looking!!

USAIR wrote:
    Here's a nice bag Nova 1AW
    I use it for 20d 24-7 f/2.8L , 50mm 1.8 , and a lensbaby and you still have room for small stuff
    ...batteries,gray card,small note book,extra cf cards.

Also don't forget about the Domke bags I have a large one so I am no help there.
    But they do make nice bags there not rigid there soft canvas so it hugs your hip

Fred
  • samyasamya Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    After you have made your decision, can you post what you chose. I'm in the market for a similar need.
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I prefer the Toploader type bags. Similar to the second one in your shots. Here are a couple of examples:

M-Rock: http://www.m-rock.com/high.html

Lowe-Pro: http://lowepro.com/Products/Toploading/allWeather/Toploader_75_AW.aspx

I have both of these bags and they are both excellent bags. I initially purchased the M-rock. After I purchased a 100-400 mm Zoom, it was too big for the M-Rock so I just recently purchased the Lowe-Pro 75. This bag fits my 20D with the 100-400 mm zoom attached. There is still room for extra cards, cleaning kit and a few essentials. Other lenses/items can be attached to the bags with accessory bags.

These bags come in several sizes. M-Rock, Lowe-Pro and Tamrac all have good options.

The top loaders are very nice for easy access to the camera. They are also comfortable to carry around.

Good luck in your choice,
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Soda anyone?
    swcolleen, you posted the picture below and it looks very close to a no name brand one that I got at Wal-Mart back in the late 1980's - early 1990's for a Canon EOS 620 film camera being carried with a 28-70 3.5-4.5 lens attached. Now I can get a Canon D60 with that lens on it in that bag. So, don't feel that you need a name brand for it to be useful.

Snip
    I was looking at the Tamrac digital series zoom 3
    5683m.jpg

Snip

When I wanted to carry a few more things with a Sony D-770 (which is the same size as the above cameras & lenses)

I got this
    attachment.php?attachmentid=8850&stc=1
    12 can cooler bag at the grocery store. I figured that 12 beverage cans are probably heaverier than the camera gear and if it would keep the mosture from the cans and ice in it would also keep rain out. Regular price was $9.99 US and I happened to find it on sale for $7.99. So, far I have been very happy with it.
    Jane
    edited January 23, 2006
    I wanted to report that I recieved the Crumpler 3 million dollar home (from the link shared on the first page!) and I LOVE it. It is the perfect size for my digital rebel and a few odds and ends-just enough when I don't want to carry my big bag with EVERYTHING in it. I actually also recieved the tamrac digital series one for the rebel too and it seems pretty good. It seems a little more rugged and so I am saving it for that type of need. The Crumpler is perfect for taking my camera to a friends house or out somewhere b/c it is not obtrusive or look like a camera bag.

I haven't really used the other one yet but I see myself using it more for if I am hiking or going to amusement park-the sort of place where a little extra padding might come in handy!

Thanks for all the help-maybe this will help someone else too!!
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    I am quite happy with my Lowepro Rezo 170 AW

It holds my Rebel XT with two Tamron Lenses (17-35 and 24-135) with no problem. I slip both hoods in the front pouch...plus it opens in reverse on top so you don't have to sling it off your shoulder to access your camera.

I also jammed my battery charger and dust blower in there. Still room for multiple CF cards if needed.

It's ideal if you want to carry a couple lenses that aren't huge.

Rezo170AW_rt_equip_cc_NOR.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    I am quite happy with my Lowepro Rezo 170 AW

It holds my Rebel XT with two Tamron Lenses (17-35 and 24-135) with no problem. I slip both hoods in the front pouch...plus it opens in reverse on top so you don't have to sling i off your shoulder to access your camera.

I also jammed my battery charger and dust blower in there. Still room for multiple CF cards if needed.

It's ideal if you want to carry a couple lenses that aren't huge.

Rezo170AW_rt_equip_cc_NOR.gif

I also use this bag when I do not want to carry my LOWEPRO Pro Trekker AW backpack. The Rezo 175 AW is a quite nice little back that can also be carried on a belt as a waist pack.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website