Someone talked me into a wedding....

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in Weddings
Short story is I was asked to shoot someone's wedding and I've never done it before. I wasn't really all that interested, but I agreed to do it anyway.

I doubt I'll ever do it again - at least not as the primary photographer - but I think the bride will be happy with the $100 she spent. I figured I may as well get something for it. $100 isn't much, but it's better than nothing. I've spent maybe 8 hours post processing so far. If for no other reason, that's a good reason for me not to do weddings as a side job. I just don't have the time to sit at my PC afterwards! LOL

I was lucky to find someone that let me use his Alien Bee lights and a backdrop. Yes I know there's a wrinkle in the backdrop...but hey I'm a rookie. He came over and acted as the second shooter to try to get things I couldn't get since it's hard to be in two places at once. The photos in this post are some of the ones I took. I won't have a look at his until he sends me a CD. He was using a Nikon D2h.

Anyway, I know I made some mistakes but overall...I think I did pretty good and I'm pretty sure the bride will be happy with what I have for her.
Here's a few samples. I'm still working on the post processing...lots more pictures to go :( It was an African-American wedding. There's a broom jump involved so that's why there's a close-up of a small decorated broom.
Some waiting around shots, a few ceremony and a few reception.

Nikon D200, SB-600, Tamron 28-75, Nikon 24-120VR, Nikon 50 f/1.8.

Let me know what you think. Again, I'm no pro and won't claim to be one...I know I made mistakes. I even missed a few shots I needed :(

138610860-M.jpg

138610874-L.jpg

138610841-L.jpg

138610956-L.jpg

138610968-L.jpg

138610982-L.jpg

138610679-L.jpg

138610695-L.jpg

138610722-L.jpg

138610748-L.jpg

138610764-L.jpg

138610784-L.jpg

138610806-L.jpg

138610823-L.jpg

138610893-L.jpg

138610916-L.jpg

138610934-L.jpg

138610944-L.jpg

Comments

• bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    thumb.gif From the images you've posted I'd say you did a pretty good job. And you say the bride got her money's worth. What are you giving them as a finished product?
    BSeek7.gif
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    thumb.gif From the images you've posted I'd say you did a pretty good job. And you say the bride got her money's worth. What are you giving them as a finished product?
    BSeek7.gif

I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so I'm giving her the full resolution JPG's on CD(s) and she can do her own prints. I'm doing minor post processing but spending more time on certain photos if it helps to make a big improvement. Mostly I'm just sharpening and adjusting levels. Oh and a quick conversion to black and white. So she'll get color and B&W of all photos.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    They look really good to me. Nice job!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    IMHO Your really selling yourself short. While there are a few mistakes, your stuff is at least on par with quite a few Wedding Photog's that I've seen. Like anything else, there is satisfactory, good, excellent and exceptional strata's - I'd say that what you've shown is firmly entrenched in the "good" ranking. One has to wonder what the product would look like if you kept trying it. thumb.gif
    --Kres
    edited March 26, 2007
    kres wrote:
    IMHO Your really selling yourself short. While there are a few mistakes, your stuff is at least on par with quite a few Wedding Photog's that I've seen. Like anything else, there is satisfactory, good, excellent and exceptional strata's - I'd say that what you've shown is firmly entrenched in the "good" ranking. One has to wonder what the product would look like if you kept trying it. thumb.gif

Thanks for the compliment :) I guess it's like anything...if you practice enough, you can't help but get better at it. I'd say most of my problems were due to inexpereince in being able to figure out where to be and when to be there to get the shot. Then I'd say I could use faster lenses and a second body to keep an extra lens on so I don' t have to switch when I have no time to switch. I'm pretty hard on myself, so hopefully the bride will not be as picky as I am and be very happy with the photos. I'm pretty sure she'll be satisfied if nothing else.

Thanks again.
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I as well think you did a good job on your first go around. I am sure the bride/groom will be pleased. I did a small wedding last year as a favor and boy is it hard work. On the move continously for 4 hours. I left the place with much more admiration for those that do weddings all the time.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I'm going to agree with everyone else, you did a fantastic job for your first time. I love the laughing reception shot, nice catch. thumb.gif Wow, $100....worth much much more!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I think you sell yourself short! These are excellent first-time images, so nicely exposed. The bride and groom should be delighted! thumb.gif
    edited March 26, 2007
    eek7.gif I think Kygarden is experiencing the FLIP side of doing weddings. Post processing, realizing what cudda happened if your equipment had a malfunction, if the wedding party was noncompliant, etc. I would say that my wife and I spend about 2 hours prior to a wedding (first contact, first meeting, explaining the obvious, accepting the contract, dealing with a B&G that is just looking for loopholes, etc) show up an hour prior to the ceremony, the cermony, after ceremony, reception, etc. Then the real work begins. Post production, dealing with photo finishers, album companies, getting approval for album from the bride and groom (who's he?) and critiquing the finshed products. I'd say with the average 5 - 6 hour wedding we invest about 15 - 20 hours give or take. Not complaining, just stating what we do. BS:ivar
    edited March 26, 2007
    eek7.gif I think Kygarden is experiencing the FLIP side of doing weddings. Post processing, realizing what cudda happened if your equipment had a malfunction, if the wedding party was noncompliant, etc. I would say that my wife and I spend about 2 hours prior to a wedding (first contact, first meeting, explaining the obvious, accepting the contract, dealing with a B&G that is just looking for loopholes, etc) show up an hour prior to the ceremony, the cermony, after ceremony, reception, etc. Then the real work begins. Post production, dealing with photo finishers, album companies, getting approval for album from the bride and groom (who's he?) and critiquing the finshed products. I'd say with the average 5 - 6 hour wedding we invest about 15 - 20 hours give or take. Not complaining, just stating what we do. BS:ivar

Based on what I've experienced so far for the post processing, you're absolutely right! I'll easily have that much time in this and then some. First I looked at each of the approximately 1,100 photos to see if they were worth a second look. If they weren't, I deleted them. Then I started again looking at each one and deciding what I'd like to do to improve it. EVerything must be sharpened since I have the in-camera sharpening turned off (PC does a better job). Some photos didn't make the second pass. Then there are some that look a little artsy, but aren't technically correct photos...so I'm dealing with those too. I don't like head on in your face flash if I can avoid it.....so some of my photos may have been ruined due to being afraid to use the flash at a higher setting. I'll need to work on that.

Thanks everyone. I'll post some more pictures in a little bit :)
    edited March 26, 2007
    OK...here are a few more. I'm starting to amaze myself. I love these :)

138814072-L.jpg

My absolute favorite....I love the mood here...

138814080-L.jpg

138814124-L.jpg

138814109-L.jpg

138814092-L.jpg

138814135-L.jpg

138814146-L.jpg

138814054-L.jpg
    edited March 26, 2007
    :D Just from your' recent experiences do you now believe that wedding photographers are OVER PAID? Ha, ha. BSrolleyes1.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Efficient post processing is something that comes with practice. You go through the shots once to grade them. I use a scale of 1 to 5 (hmm, that's how many stars are availabe in ACR), 1 being toss it, 5 being portfolio quality.

Delivering just JPGs - ACR to the rescue. A couple of pre-sets for the saturation, contrast, sharpening. Apply them as appropriate. Bang - Proofs are done and you can, if you wish, deliver them to the client.

Real post processing - only those that will go in the album - the number will depend on the number of pages requested. Deliver a couple or 6 more sides than requested so they have something to toss. If you have your actions lined up, this should take you another couple or 4 hours.

Total time: 4 to 8 hours on the 1,000 shots.

On to the photos, the ones I really like and why...

Excellent B&W conversion and it really captures sometime for me. I think I would have made it a touch lighter, but this is good stuff.
    138610841-M.jpg

You captured the emotion of the moment - and that's what it's all about!
    138610695-M.jpg

Same thing here!
    138610722-M.jpg

This one is just awesome, the little girl is just too cute!
    138814072-M.jpg

Again, with emotion! Very nice. To improve next time, the focus coulda/shoulda been a little futher away from the camera, close to the lady in the middle.
    138814135-M.jpg

Weddings are all about people celebrating love and family. This one shows it so well!
    138814146-M.jpg

You have an amazing set of photographs here. I'm looking forward to the next installment!

And, and for the record, the B&G got a steal on this deal!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Awesome job :) Great capture of emotions and wonderful colors!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    nice job.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    question. did you shoot this wedding RAW or jpg?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited March 26, 2007
    Wow...I'm humbled bowdown.gif Thanks everyone. I tend to be really hard on myself when it comes to photography and maybe I don't give myself enough credit. Thanks for the encouragement!

To answer the last post, I shot this RAW. I've pretty much switched to RAW for everything now. Capture NX 1.1 runs pretty quick on my PC now so for the little extra time it takes to process a raw file, it's worth it to me. I love being able to dial in exposure compensation after the fact for one thing. It really saved me on some of these.

I could do without the noise in the reception photos, but honestly...I doubt the bride will notice any noise. To me, it's the content that matters...not the techincal details (within reason of course).