Options

Portrait of the Artist: The Artist at the Grotto, Lourdes

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in People
Maybe there's a message in the silence?!

No problem! I meditated a bit on it, and I think this version pleases me better. I'm interested of course in the viewer's reaction!

1175912065_84erN-XL.jpg

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2, 2011
    Maybe there's a message in the silence?!mwink.gifD

No problem! I meditated a bit on it, and I think this version pleases me better. I'm interested of course in the viewer's reaction!thumb.gif

Neil

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I am steeped in a traditional view, a hopeless romantic. Hence it is really difficult to accept this as art. I realize that it indeed is but beyond my territory of comfort. With that said it is done well technically but that is as far as I am able to go with the cc. I do like the sharp edge of acuity in your lighting that draws the viewers eye to the doll face.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I am steeped in a traditional view, a hopeless romantic. Hence it is really difficult to accept this as art. I realize that it indeed is but beyond my territory of comfort. With that said it is done well technically but that is as far as I am able to go with the cc. I do like the sharp edge of acuity in your lighting that draws the viewers eye to the doll face.

Really appreciate your comment Charles, thank you! I should add a disclaimer that I am doing this series mainly as a way to ascend the cliff face of digital compositing, hold by bloody hold!eek7.gif Secondly for the "art".

I would have to say that it is not my taste in "art", either!mwink.gif However, I think it goes a little way into carrying across information which can't be done in the traditional ways. Here, that might be to point up the tension between the spiritual realm in which there is the Virgin Mary, and the secular world in which there is the virgin, Mary. What is the relationship between the two - one is immortal and serene, the other is breakable clay like the porcelain of the antique doll. In which do we place the home of beauty. And since we basically assess ourselves and our lives on the criterion of beauty, how do we objectify the idea. I think we are forced into evolving art.

But I would also say that art is reiterative, so we never lose our roots. For example, here is a Byzantine ikon - obviously very traditional at 1500yr old, and you can see that it and my image share certain characteristics, apart from the subject matter - they are each a pastiche or collage, are arrangements of separate elements with no real visual connection, have no perspective, and have text. So, in style they are very similar.

1176782640_McbXq-O.jpg

You always create a good talking point, Charles, and I enjoy the opportunity to explore these ideas!

Neil

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Love the icon, being a Byzantine Greek Catholic I grew up with these all around me. Michael the Arch Angel throwing Lucifer out of Heaven always terrorized me as a child. There is a Greek pilgrimage in PA that used to draw 200,000 at its peak over Memorial day and the art was incredible. I guess your more of a modern Greek!
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I guess your more of a modern Greek!

rolleyes1.gif

Neil