Scripts for Videos

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited April 14, 2012 in Video
I'm just curious about this. I make videos... not the kind that I think most of you guys do, they are technical courses on various software topics. I write a script for each video I do, and go over it and over it to make sure there are no errors in it.... things like singular when there should a plural, wrong tense, all kinds of odds and ends.

I don't memorize the script, but follow it when when I do my recording. It seems like I'm always having to make pencil edits on the spot when I the recording... I find little errors... wrong word here or there. Even a mispelling... for some reason if anything is wrong it throws me off and I sound like I'm reading or I just lose track of where I am, so I have to stop, correct it and do it over.

So when you are making a video with a script do you find that even during the recording you have to stop and make fixes because of dumb English or other errors? Or are the scripts pretty much golden by the time the get to the talent?

Again, I'm mostly curious how things work in the "real" video world:D

Thanks

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I'm just curious about this. I make videos... not the kind that I think most of you guys do, they are technical courses on various software topics. I write a script for each video I do, and go over it and over it to make sure there are no errors in it.... things like singular when there should a plural, wrong tense, all kinds of odds and ends.

I don't memorize the script, but follow it when when I do my recording. It seems like I'm always having to make pencil edits on the spot when I the recording... I find little errors... wrong word here or there. Even a mispelling... for some reason if anything is wrong it throws me off and I sound like I'm reading or I just lose track of where I am, so I have to stop, correct it and do it over.

So when you are making a video with a script do you find that even during the recording you have to stop and make fixes because of dumb English or other errors? Or are the scripts pretty much golden by the time the get to the talent?

Again, I'm mostly curious how things work in the "real" video world:D

Thanks

I basically start any script off with ideas, and then practice how those ideas might sound. When I have that worked out, I write it down. Usually only to be replaced over and over with new improved wording.

But as I recall your vid's are more like presentations. and I do them this way:
    For instance, say I wanted to explain the Venturi-effect. I'd have that on a 3x5 card only , then begin a discourse ( talking out loud). I may or may not write it all down, because I plan on memorizing it and refining it via talking out loud versus writing and reading script. Your video's are more like presentations as I recall. And I think that calls for talking it out vs. writing it out. Write key ideas down, just in case you need a reminder of where you are and where you're going. Least thats the way I do presentations. HTH~
    tom wise
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Thanks.

Yes, they are presentations and I almost never appear in them so I don't memorize the script perfectly. I actually record the voice and then add it to the video, and the add the slides, screen captures, etc in premiere.

When I do regurlar presentation in a classroom I'm not so worried about the sequencing, i.e. forward references, because the class acts as part of a feedback loop to keep me on track. Also the kind of presentations I do in a classroom require me to change the content on the fly according to the interest of the class. In the classroom there is never enough time to cover everything.

So I use script to make sure everything comes out in the right order and is covered. I find though that no matter how much a vet the script, when I get around to recording it, it always has some dinko errors in it that I correct during the recording process. I kinda' curious if anyone gets scripts correct or if correcting during recording is common.

angevin1 wrote: »
    But as I recall your vid's are more like presentations. and I do them this way:
    edited March 1, 2012
    Thanks.

Yes, they are presentations and I almost never appear in them so I don't memorize the script perfectly. I actually record the voice and then add it to the video, and the add the slides, screen captures, etc in premiere.

When I do regurlar presentation in a classroom I'm not so worried about the sequencing, i.e. forward references, because the class acts as part of a feedback loop to keep me on track. Also the kind of presentations I do in a classroom require me to change the content on the fly according to the interest of the class. In the classroom there is never enough time to cover everything.

So I use script to make sure everything comes out in the right order and is covered. I find though that no matter how much a vet the script, when I get around to recording it, it always has some dinko errors in it that I correct during the recording process. I kinda' curious if anyone gets scripts correct or if correcting during recording is common.

I think you need look no further than Hollywood. They constantly rewrite, even on set, even between shots, because the Director or Producer doesn't like the feel or outcome or the wording. I don't see how you can avoid scripting errors if you're not 'saying' the lines out loud and listening to them. And as far as getting scripts correct straight out of the box? I'd say any screen writer would say yes, and every director would say no.

So no. I think what you encounter is normal.
    tom wise
    edited March 1, 2012
    I kind of thought that. I feel better now knowing that my script writing isn't completely substandardwings.gif
    angevin1 wrote: »
    So no. I think what you encounter is normal.
    edited March 1, 2012
    I kind of thought that. I feel better now knowing that my script writing isn't completely substandardwings.gif

i recently read a decent read by a couple of Script writers. Basically the book starts off with and continues to remind the reader that the number one thing you will experience is getting fired...ALOT! Of course they also contend that does mean you're also getting hired...ALOT.

Of course you just have to please yourself..and that can be hard enough.
    tom wise
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Hi Dan,

Also, simply reading aloud a script will help find those things. We do a lot of training videos where the initial copy comes from tech writers that usually produce HUGE printed manuals, written to seemingly over-complicate the easiest task. It always requires a lot of tweaking to translate well to video. -There's definitely a big difference between copy that's read verses spoken.

As Tom says though, there's always going to be changes, especially on these training videos.

Best wishes,

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
    edited March 1, 2012
    Thanks Rob,

I've noticed that, now when I "write" my script I do it by speaking out loud and transcribing what I say. Then when I review I also read it out loud.

I've written a couple of books and a lot of articles and I've found that writing scripts for a video course is a completely different way of writing.

Rob Pauza wrote: »
    Hi Dan,

Also, simply reading aloud a script will help find those things. We do a lot of training videos where the initial copy comes from tech writers that usually produce HUGE printed manuals, written to seemingly over-complicate the easiest task. It always requires a lot of tweaking to translate well to video. -There's definitely a big difference between copy that's read verses spoken.

As Tom says though, there's always going to be changes, especially on these training videos.

Best wishes,

-Rob
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    The most valuable step you'll take in your pre-production is to take your script (assuming that its something that you'll be reading word-for-word either on camera or in ADR) and read it aloud. I find that this is the most efficient way to identify all of the trouble spots immediately - repeated words, clumsy phrasings, tough pronunciation strings, the lot. Sometimes it'll be technically perfect and easy to read, and you still find that what you are trying to say in three long sentences can be handled more succinctly in two short ones. It may seem laborious to fuss over your script, but its quicker to do your edits on paper than it is to stitch a mash of botched takes together in your edit.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L