How do I rename a Gallery Category?

inTempusinTempus Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 29, 2009 in SmugMug Support
For the life of me I see no option for renaming a gallery category (home page). I can rename sub-galleries within gallery categories as there's a handy little link right next to the name.

Any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Exmaple: On my home page (http://www.intempusphotography.com) I would like to rename the Gallery Category "Fashion" to "Model Photography" as fashion doesn't really apply anymore.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Control panel, customize, categories, rename.

As it turns out, Fashion is a built-in category that you are not allowed to rename. If you want a different name for the organization you have, then you have to create a new category "Model Photography" and then change each current "Fashion" gallery to be in the "Model Photography" category in customize gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • inTempusinTempus Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2009
    Thanks for the help, but I'm still not there. This categorization model is extremely unintuitive.

I created a Category (which doesn't appear to be the same thing as a Gallery Category because others that are on my home page aren't present in the drop down list) called "Model Photography". I see no way to move the sub-categories from "Fashion" to another category/gallery. They appear in no drop down menus in the Customize menu and they have no controls next to them on the home page itself.

How would I move Fashion>Holly to Model Photography>Holly?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    inTempus wrote:
    Thanks for the help, but I'm still not there. This categorization model is extremely unintuitive.

I created a Category (which doesn't appear to be the same thing as a Gallery Category because others that are on my home page aren't present in the drop down list) called "Model Photography". I see no way to move the sub-categories from "Fashion" to another category/gallery. They appear in no drop down menus in the Customize menu and they have no controls next to them on the home page itself.

How would I move Fashion>Holly to Model Photography>Holly?
    I would agree with you on the unintuitiveness of how categories and sub-categories work. Most people expect them to be like folders, but they aren't that way at all. They are more like attributes of a gallery.

Anyway, you can't move existing sub-categories to a new category. You create your new category. Then, you create new sub-categories in that category (you can use the same name as your other sub-categories if you want). Neither of these will show on your homepage until you have at least one gallery in them. Then, you go to customize gallery for a gallery and reassign the category and sub-category to the new ones that you created.

My guess is that all this will change sometime in the future (hopefully for the better) because Smugmug has said they are working on more levels of sub-categories and on virtual galleries, both of which probably imply some changes to how this works.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question