Options

FX + DX or FX + FX ????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsNorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
edited October 1, 2015 in Wildlife
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2015
    There's quite a few differences between full frame sensors and crop sensors, but the biggest thing for me personally is that with a full frame I can always crop to get that DX perspective, but not the other way around.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    Steve is right. Remember that both cameras have a roughly 24MP capability but on the D750 those pixels are spread out on a larger 24X36mm CMOS sensor (full frame) and as a result can capture more light which improves dynamic range as well as improves low light capabilities...i.e. each pixel is larger just as larger aperture telescopes (light buckets) are better than smaller ones. On the D7200 you have the 24X16 mm DX CMOS cropped sensor or a diagonal measurement of 29mm (vs roughly 43mm on FX cameras) but the same number of megapixels. As a result you will have a larger surface area of "picture" on the FX sensor which can be cropped down vs on the DX sensor where your picture area is necessarily "cropped" coming out of the camera (hence the term "1.5 cropped sensor" which has to do more with the angle created measuring from diagonal corner to corner)...same pixels but less surface area hence smaller pixel size....does that help. You can crop down (FX)... but you can't crop up (DX). Because of this "megapixels" can be misleading...which camera manufacturers love!

Having said all that, for some photographers based on the type of photography they do, a DX camera is a better fit and vice versa.

There are others here (Ziggy) who can give you a much better explanation of the difference and you might hear from them after my post. Hope this in some way helps!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    The Nikon D7200 is a truly wonderful camera with a best-in-class imager and excellent underexposure recovery in base ISO, thanks to both an extremely broad dynamic range at base ISO and thanks to a wonderful method of recording that dynamic range back to the image file.

The D7200 also has a very nice AF point distribution, compared with the D750, although the cross-type AF points are still very much centrally located.

Listening to what the others are telling you, if you have the finances a Nikon D810 might also be a great way to go, in that the D810 has a "DX format", meaning that it can crop in-camera down to the D7200 FOV. The resulting DX image still has a resolution of 15 MPixels, which is enough to crop further if needed. You can increase the frame rate to 7 FPS in DX Crop Mode with the optional MB-D12 battery pack. (There is also a 25 MPixel, 1.2x crop mode to round off your options.)

In actuality, I gather that many folks just shoot the D810 in full-frame and crop in post, in order to preserve all of their image options and to allow for framing inaccuracies during tracking; in other words people just frame the shot loosely with the intent to crop and re-frame later.

To summarize, I recommend looking at both the D7200 and the D810 models, and purchase whichever seems best suited to both your needs and your budget. I don't think you can go too far wrong with either combination:
    Your current D750 + a D810

... or ...

Your current D750 + a D7200
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited October 1, 2015
    thank you for that! :) and to the rest of you ofcourse, its great to find out how it all works...

My idea is basically to shoot with 2 bodys at the same time..
    as im thinking of having my 300prime on the fx and then have my 150-600 on a dx so that i get that
    extra boost in distance without using a DX mode and loosing Mpx,
    would you say thats a good way to go?

Yes, I often do similar and it's nice not to change lenses in dusty environments too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums