First time shooting a 1 year old C & C please

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited November 18, 2011 in People
Well with my nephew recently turning 1 and the mother in law wanting pictures, I agreed to attempt taking a few shots with this wiggle worm, and for the first time entered the mine field of baby pictures. I think I learned a few things in the process, not the least of which is my new found respect for those of you who do a good job of it. I'm am sure there is plenty of room for improvement. The setup was 2 SB 900 flashes shot through wescott 43" umbrellas (43" or 46"? or whatever those portable strobist things are). One umbrella camera left 45 degrees with slight downward tilt and the other overhead in line with camera. I was shooting from the foot of the bed on my knees. So fire away if you would be so kind...

1)

i-RQdxPwd-XL.jpg

2)

i-NRsmxqB-XL.jpg

3)

i-v4v5mhX-XL.jpg

4)

i-TSrNW7t-XL.jpg

5)

i-D6Wt55Q-XL.jpg

6)

i-579dL9v-XL.jpg

This one is more of a a joke to make the family laugh than anything else. I lack the requisite photoshop skill to do a good job of it.

Thanks in advance for the comments and criticism. I need it to grow. :D
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Nice series, 6 & 5 are the better ones. Although different.
    1 &3. is to absent ,the boy seems to be looking at somebody on the right or left
    2. A bit to central, apply the 2/3 rule
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Man, that kid has the hair of a 30-year old banker. You could gel that back and turn him into a baby Gordon Gekko rather than a rocker. Very nice captures. I'd probably crop them a bit tighter, but I like the nice cheerful lighting and backgrounds. Works well.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Nice series, 6 & 5 are the better ones. Although different.
    1 &3. is to absent ,the boy seems to be looking at somebody on the right or left
    2. A bit to central, apply the 2/3 rule

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what he is doing. I had someone on the side of the bed acting as baby wrangler. He could crawl at about 20 miles an hour and kept getting close to the edge.

Thanks for taking a look.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com