Review: Two New Canon L Lens Mugs Compared - First Impressions

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
edited May 30, 2012 in Accessories
A medium sized B&H package arrived at the doorstep this afternoon with some contents marked "Canon" with "L" letters in their names. Always an exciting occasion, to be sure. I had been waiting for this pair of "L's" with great anticipation for about week. It has been two years since I fed my L-addiction and getting two in one day should almost be illegal.

The coveted pair was a 24-70 f/2.8 L zoomable mug as well as a taller 70-200 L f/4 mug. Quality lens mugs have been quite sought after as of late. When I spotted these on B&H's pages a couple weeks ago, I thought it a great opportunity to add to my growing L collection, and at prices far far below the cost of the rest of the L lens lineup, it was too good a deal to pass up. As most Canon lens mugs were evaporating quickly from B&H's stock, this added "fear of loss" to my otherwise impulse purchase. I lucked out as the 70-200's as well as the 24-105's are now gone from their inventory, at this writing. My wife was appreciative, when informed they weren't real lenses (a constant worry of hers, for some reason), that these mugs were almost three thousand dollars less since they contained no fluorite or UD glass nor any other exotic components. Because of this, she (almost) shared my excitement upon their arrival.

For purposes of this review, I have compared the two new Canon L-lens mugs with both a conventional coffee mug as well as an actual Canon 70-200 f/4 IS L lens. Sadly, I didn't have a real 24-70 L lens to compare with the mug version. I was going to buy one merely for comparative purposes, but I chickened out during the final shopping cart stage (see above paragraph for reason).

The review group, all lined up:
From left to right: a free work-related beverage mug, box for the 24-70 mug, the 24-70 zoomable L mug, box from the 70-200 mug, the 70-200 mug, a real 70-200 L IS box, a real 70-200 L IS f/4 lens.
1250012680_hkxcj-XL.jpg

<HR color="grey">

Design, Construction, Fit and Finish:

24-70 L lens mug:
Overall, the materials (plastic, stainless steel liner*, and several rubberized o-ring seals), fit and finish more than met my expectations. The 24-70 experiences some slight wobble when the front group is extended, the AF/MF switch is lacking that positive and solid "click" as its real L lens counterpart and the bottom of the mug (the simulated rear lens cap) seems a bit narrow for use for a mug - yet it does hold the thing up quite well. The zoom ring rotates from 70mm down to only 40mm, missing the wider mark of 24 entirely. Users of the real 24-70 L will notice the zooming and extension works in reverse in the mug version, no doubt to get around those sticky international patent laws. Or it could be an odd oversight from the manufacturer. The focus ring doesn't turn. Both rings sport realistic ribbed rubber grips.

24-70 L mug (animation) zoomed in and extended out:
1250012540_q9afh-O.gif

This lens mug is heavier and wider than the 70-200 due mostly to its hidden zoomable components as well as its more robust build. I was surprised that the maker even included a realistic hood flange (if it had a hood!) in the design. All markings are very realistic like the rest of the mug. This could fool even avid Canonites into believing this was the real deal - even when viewed close up. I wish I could have compared it to a real 24-70 L, but really there is no need. It is just too realistic as is. Truly a thing of beauty. You could say they've pulled out all the stops when fabricating this masterpiece.

70-200 L lens mug:
This mug is also a non-IS design, so the dimensions and markings less match up to the above pictured real Canon IS version included for comparison. Several markings are absent, notably the "70-200mm" on the base, a zoom scale index line, and the big red alignment dot. The "L" isn't even red (what's up with that?) Not that it really matters; it is an attention getter on its own. This is the exact model given to the 2010 Canadian Olympic press photographers. The supply was originally supposed to be limited to that group plus some extra copies for select Canon reps to judiciously distribute to worthy individuals. Small numbers from those were redistributed and found their way onto eBay and other small online sites and were made available for ridiculous sums of cash. A new mug cult was born (Nikonians have their own mugs now too). Some time elapsed and then tens of thousands more, um, were found somewhere. How do these things happen?

The 70-200 L mug's finish is much less accurate than a real working lens, and not up to the high quality of the 24-70 mug; yet no less convincing at a distance. This model has no switches at all to worry about setting properly before you sip, and it also lacks a functioning zoom or focus ring. Even if it had the zoomability, all 70-200 L designs are internal operation, so there would hardly be a point for including such a feature. Like the 24-70, there are two rubberized rings acting as grips adding to the feel and appearance. While this version is not stabilized, where a rear lens cap would be, a slightly larger rubber bottom has been attached which does add lens mug stability where it matters.

Nether lens mug acts as a thermos. As mentioned at top of this review, I also added a conventional coffee mug and an actual Canon 70-200 L IS f/4 lens to offer realistic comparisons and mug use clarity. Read down for specs.

My free work-related mug:
One will note, that this mug is stainless steel on the outside and plastic on the inside - the opposite of the two Canon mugs reviewed. I would much prefer to drink from an interior vessel of stainless steel than questionable and possibly non-FDA approved plastic, since both are made in China. After the Chinese-related contaminated food and other consumer goods issues a couple years back - this point matters. Yet, I do drink from my internal plastic mug daily - so I'm probably already doomed. The Canon mugs, with their stainless interiors, are a most welcome addition, though. This wasn't always the case. An earlier version of the 24-105 L mug was all plastic, inside and out. A later 24-105 MkII mug corrected for that oversight.

The real 70-200 f/4 L IS lens:
Included in review as a standard measure for comparisons; just because.

<HR color="grey">

Top view of the interiors of the lens mugs:
1250012755_cS9ud-XL.jpg

Specifications:

Since no proper mug review would be complete without figures, here they are.
<pre>
Model Exterior Interior Weight (w/ caps), empty Height Width Max. Tested Capacity

Free work-related mug Stnls. steel Plastic 165 grams 178mm 82mm 14 oz. (0.41 liter)

24-70 L zoomable mug Plastic Stainless steel* 310 grams 159mm 82mm 13 oz. (0.38 liter)

70-200 L mug Plastic/Alum. Stainless steel* 220 grams 206mm 79mm 15 oz. (0.44 liter)

Real 70-200 f/4 L IS lens Plastic Expensive stuff 855 grams 193mm 74mm 0 oz. (0.0 liter)

* The magnet test shows that the mug liners are mostly steel and not necessarily stainless steel.
</pre>

<HR color="grey">

In Use:

I did most of my testing of these two new lens mugs hand-held. That is the way they are intended to be used. Nevertheless, I did attempt to mount the 70-200 mug to a tripod head in the usual manner, and even though a proper Canon Tripod Mount Ring A(W) was used, in actual use, speed and performance seemed to lag. Hand-held really is the way to go. Trust me. Don't pop for the extra $140 on the official Canon tripod ring, not to mention a QR RRS foot plate. Just set the thing on the ground when shooting. This also frees up your tripod head for serious photography. Also, and contradictory to proper shooting technique, it is best to use these lens mugs wide-open. Closed down mid way, they don't seem to deliver the same IQ.

The white color helps to keep contents cooler in the sun. This mounting setup does not allow easy mug access.
1250012951_sJpA4-XL.jpg

<HR color="grey">

Lens Caps:

My free work-related mug has a screw-on top with a thumb-activated sliding door for quick sipping action. While somewhat leaky, it is effective for travel.

The 24-70 lens mug sports a realistic enough looking Canon lens cap with the traditional pinch type clips, but is in fact a screw-on top. In appearance, it reminds me of one of those deep Canon ultra-wide angle lens caps like this one for the EF 14mm. This threaded design makes it difficult to sip from the mug in a moving car, but the good news here is the internal plastic seal compresses to the top of the stainless insert when tightened making it leak proof.

The 70-200 mug's cap is a friction fit design (push on / pull off), via a compression o-ring, and again a non-functional Canon pinch clip top. This cap does include a thumb-activated slide for quick access, though its rather flimsy (very non L like! And like the real coffee mug, an air hole is opposite the sliding part.

The real 70-200 L lens has a working pinch type release lens cap, of course. I replaced the Canon cap when I took it out of the box and replaced it with a Tamron lens cap, which is far superior in all respects. All my Canon lenses, save the 10-22, have Tamron caps attached. Alas, I must settle for Canon lens caps for the mugs.

<HR color="grey">

Content Retention - The Upside Down Test:

Section and photos (video?) pending soon

<HR color="grey">

In the box:

The 70-200's box was curiously smaller than a real 70-200 L lens. A lens mug case is clearly optional. It was wrapped in a thin plastic bag and included a 1-page owner's manual.

The 24-75's box was also quite small. This one was wrapped in bubble plastic, but no manual was found. I assume there is a .PDF version on line somewhere.

The free work-related mug had no box.

The real 70-200 L lens' box is huge, is neatly wrapped in plastic and shock-resistant packaging foam. A somewhat lengthy owners' manual, a lens case, and hood, are all included.

<HR color="grey">

Pro's and Con's:

There are many positives to Canon mug ownership. Each of these L lens mugs are easily lighter than the real mccoy, at least empty, and there is hardly that worry about dropping them onto concrete and instantly erasing more than a month's salary. The looks of onlookers is priceless. "Is that… a…. lens?" Just say "yes," and keep on drinking. You can play toss with an empty mug while your real camera and lens is strapped safely around your neck and truly puzzle people into thinking you've gone bonkers. And if the worst happens and they get stolen - relax - you're not bankrupt.

What not to do. Don't set a canon lens mug in the center cup holder locked inside your car when you park it, in clear view of all passers by. When your auto insurance rep asks what got stolen after they broke your side windows out with a baseball bat, just tell them it was a very old cell phone or worthless laptop you mistakenly left in clear view. Don't tell them you naively left a $30 coffee mug in there that looked just like a $1,500 lens. On second thought, maybe telling them it was a $1,500 lens that was stolen doesn't sound like a bad idea. (disclaimer: don't actually tell your insurance agent you lost a $1,500 lens when you didn't. That would be dishonest).

Also, don't send either mug through the dishwasher. Don't soak them in dish washing detergent. In fact treat them almost as if they were the real lenses. The 1-page manual from the 70-200 warns to not microwave, use carbonated beverages, to not freeze, to not overfill, and by all means - keep out of reach of children. It ends with "This product is not intended to spill proof or leak proof and is not guaranteed against minor leakage." Just like a real L lens! I will add to hand wash these with water only, and to avoid any beverages that are sticky because those could foul up the works, especially the zoomable 24-70.

<HR color="grey">

Conclusions and long-term testing:

(This section is a work in progress. I'm adding content daily as I gain further insight from mug usage)

Stabilization. Since neither lens mug is a stabilized version (IS), one may wonder just how tippy they are when filled to the top. I can honestly say they do pretty well. The 70-200's larger foot works well for the taller mug. I really had my doubts on the 24-70's heavier weight resting on the rear cap base, and that pseudo-rear cap does do a decent job holding the mug steady. I would advise a new 24-70 mug user to keep from zooming out while drinking, and to keep the front element section fully retracted when in use, shortening the mug's height. This will aid in stability too. EDIT: I have now successfully spilled both mugs full of coffee upon myself, couch, and office chair. Is it the mugs? Or should I drink less coffee?

Liquids. Early on, I can tell you from even limited experience, that light transmittance is better the clearer the liquid. I think we all know that as photographers. So far I have tested water, coffee and tea. The manual tells us not to fill with carbonated beverages, so who am I to disagree? CArbonated beverages probably bend light the wrong way, and bubbles introduce all sorts of other unforeseen nasty stuff, and who wants aberrations from their expensive lens mugs?

Liners. I suspected something wasn't quite right about the stainless liners. A magnet stuck firmly to both the 24-70 and the 70-200's liners (and not to my free work-related mug). Pure stainless steel is non-magnetic. This doesn't mean they aren't stainless, but there is a lot of real steel content. Should I worry? Post a comment and let me know. Also, the 24-70 has a strange odor after the cap is applied for a couple hours - and with only water. Again, should I worry?

<HR color="grey">

Resources and Links:

Where to buy? I got mine at B&H. Their stock has been stripped of these. They might re-appear again, but then again, they might not. You could simply Google up "Canon Lens mug" and see what comes up. But beware of scams and descriptions and photos that don't match what you might get. See below links for examples. Worse, you might get scammed altogether. That's why I waited until B&H was selling them.

70-200 mug with real EF mount video. It also has better looking buttons.

Another video of the EF mount, clearer views.

Bad 24-105 copies are out there. Beware, might come with unwanted dinosaur?

Another 24-105 mug. Not as bad, but still plastic inside.

24-105 even better copy; plastic. There are a lot of versions it seems.

Finally, a 24-105 internal stainless model, but bad cap. Not in English. Is there a good copy out there?

24-70 Nikon version. Looks good. Snikkor? Comes with case, apparently. Wow!

Make your own L mug. Difficult to watch and not get ill.

Prank your friends.

A 24-70 f/2.8L mkII lens is real!

<HR color="grey">

Ratings:

(coming soon)

<P>
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 13, 2011
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    :lol :lol4 rolleyes1.gif
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    I love how the 24-70 box says 24-70 1:1 f4L IS lol3.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Your otherwise thorough and objective review is flawed by the almost flip way you excused the breathtaking oversight of a "sippy-cup" type lid. Any lens you can't use in a moving vehicle is not worth a professional's consideration. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    I have the Nikon version on order as we speak. I expect to enjoy many a beverage in it but i'm not planning on leaving it in an unattended vehicle.

I can easily imagine a broken window and a surprised and disappointed thief. Not worth the hassle.
    edited April 13, 2011
    I'm sorry, but the Nikon version is a POS - you might as well buy 3rd party. Red stripe all the way...

(DISCLAIMER: No Nikonians were harmed in the making of this post, intended only to reflect the fanboi insanity on teh interwebz as soon as brands are mentioned. This poster is an equal opportunities shooter, happy to use any camera or any make that does the job, and even used to own a Praktica 35mm. For real.)
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Bravo, David! Superb review! bowdown.gifThanks so much for taking the time from your hectic schedule to write this detailed overview. I look forward to your future continued testing. I will most certainly now be in the market for one of these fine mugs. iloveyou.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    You listed the capacity of the Real 70-200 as 0.0 oz but I've found I can easily put two teaspoons of hot tea into it and it has the advatage of cooling it off much more quickly than the other containers....
    David_S85 wrote: »
    A medium sized B&H package arrived at the
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    This is fantastic! Love your Pros and Cons section rolleyes1.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Excellent review, though you left out a couple of minor details: average street price, vendors who carry them, and manufacturer's warranty. Also, did either of them include USA warranty cards?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 13, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Excellent review, though you left out a couple of minor details: average street price, vendors who carry them, and manufacturer's warranty. Also, did either of them include USA warranty cards?

Thanks, Will. The review is ongoing, and I will add more content. B&H had these for $29.95 each.
    My Smugmug
    edited April 13, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Your otherwise thorough and objective review is flawed by the almost flip way you excused the breathtaking oversight of a "sippy-cup" type lid. Any lens you can't use in a moving vehicle is not worth a professional's consideration. ne_nau.gif

OK, OK, valid point. The 24-70 lid is less driving friendly as one either needs to leave the lid off altogether risking the contents, passengers and car interior and driving safety, if tipped; or unscrew the lid on every sip.

The 70-200 lid, if one gets a good copy and the lid stays intact, does offer the slide tab for quicker and, thus, safer sipping while mobile. That said, mine leaks badly, open or closed. I might have got a bad one, dunno.
    My Smugmug
    edited April 13, 2011
    I love how the 24-70 box says 24-70 1:1 f4L IS lol3.gif

So it does! lol3.gif I missed that. Thanks!
    My Smugmug
    edited April 13, 2011
    Every time I check in and see the header on this thread I giggle again. Seriously brilliant, David! thumb.gif
    edited April 14, 2011
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Bravo, David! Superb review! bowdown.gifThanks so much for taking the time from your hectic schedule to write this detailed overview. I look forward to your future continued testing. I will most certainly now be in the market for one of these fine mugs. iloveyou.gif

Thanks, Ann! I can honestly say this project has been as much fun as I have ever had with L products, and writing something up for peer review. Glad you enjoyed it.
    My Smugmug
  • rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011

The 70-200 L mug's finish is much less accurate than a real working lens, and not up to the high quality of the 24-70 mug; yet no less convincing at a distance. ...

Or close up - had a photographer friend from the day job pour hot coffee over my desk while examining my new 70-200 f/4 L coffee cup. He was very disappointed.

(great review!)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Hmm, I am suspicious of the 24-70. I had hopes that finally Canon had released an IS version of the 24-70 f2.8. But I see no evidence of an IS switch on that unit, and though the box claims it to be an f/4, I can see clearly on the lens ring that it is an f/2.8!

Sir, I believe you have been ripped off. Now I shop and B&H regularly, and have trusted them for years. But they should be ashamed at selling you a mug that claims to be an f/4 IS, and instead sticking you with an f2.8 non- IS. Surely your coffee has an extra bitter taste for this discrepancy.
    edited April 18, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    Hmm, I am suspicious of the 24-70. I had hopes that finally Canon had released an IS version of the 24-70 f2.8. But I see no evidence of an IS switch on that unit, and though the box claims it to be an f/4, I can see clearly on the lens ring that it is an f/2.8!

Sir, I believe you have been ripped off. Now I shop and B&H regularly, and have trusted them for years. But they should be ashamed at selling you a mug that claims to be an f/4 IS, and instead sticking you with an f2.8 non- IS. Surely your coffee has an extra bitter taste for this discrepancy.

MkII is in the rumor stages, and has been for years. The box does say f/4 but the real lens is 2.8. Strange mistakes by the Chinese mfg. The box also states 1:1.

UPDATE: the mkII 24-70 is almost a certainty.
    My Smugmug
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Great review. I believe that on Earth Day Starbucks will fill up your "lenses" for a discount more than the typical 10 cents. Might be worth getting a professional opinion of operations?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited April 18, 2011
    Great review. I believe that on Earth Day Starbucks will fill up your "lenses" for a discount more than the typical 10 cents. Might be worth getting a professional opinion of operations?

Thanks! Starbucks offers discounts? eek7.gif
    I should really wait for Ben and Jerry's free cone day. Perhaps they'll plop a dollop of Cherry Garcia in the 24-70? Sure wish the local camera store had their own coffee bar.
    My Smugmug
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    With the popularity of lens mugs, camera stores should start having coffee bars. Pretty soon they'll overtake Starbucks mwink.gif I also think they should offer to convert you real L lens to a mug (pretty simple, actually: all you need is a hammer to bang out the glass) for free... it'll help them sell the coffee.
    edited April 18, 2011
    With the popularity of lens mugs, camera stores should start having coffee bars. Pretty soon they'll overtake Starbucks mwink.gif I also think they should offer to convert you real L lens to a mug (pretty simple, actually: all you need is a hammer to bang out the glass) for free... it'll help them sell the coffee.

There is or was a YouTube video of a photographer doing just that on a Canon 300, 400 or 500mm 2.8 L glass. He had dropped it and killed it accidentally, and the video is of him smashing out all the UD and fluorite glass. Unsettling to watch such a thing. I'll try to find it.

not it, but there's this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVK-jA_vKo

and this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4FzamOQ-0
    My Smugmug
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    edited April 18, 2011
    Hehehe. I was watching it as you were posting it. Oh, the horror. The horror. And its in 1080p. I would strongly suggest watching at only 240.
    ...The bokeh would be very nice, though.
    rolleyes1.gif

And appropriate reading on this fine day.
    My Smugmug
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Thanks! Starbucks offers discounts? eek7.gif
    I should really wait for Ben and Jerry's free cone day. Perhaps they'll plop a dollop of Cherry Garcia in the 24-70? Sure wish the local camera store had their own coffee bar.

Starbucks does 10 cent discount for bringing your own cup.
    On Friday, Earth Day & Good Friday they are giving a free coffee or tea for bringing your own.

I go to Starbucks way way too often.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    I realize this is a year old, but I'm sorry...I just have to say that this is the funniest photography related thing I've read all year.
    edited May 30, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    I realize this is a year old, but I'm sorry...I just have to say that this is the funniest photography related thing I've read all year.

Thanks! I really should update this thing, as I've added two more Canon L mugs to my collection since a year ago. One is a 24-105 L IS and the other is another 70-200 f/2.8 L IS mkI big white mug, both from Photojojo. As Schmoo once said "One can never have too many mugs."
    My Smugmug
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    rofl ^^
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston