Technical Question

thelegendthelegend Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited May 8, 2012 in Cameras
Hi guys,

I got a new bridge camera today (I'm relatively new to photography). It's a Fuji S4300. I'm still picking up the majority of the settings, but one issue I've notices is that when I force the flash on the camera won't take a picture. The button to capture the photo becomes completely unresponsive. Is there a particular reason for this? It doesn't seem to matter what scene setting I have it set to, or whether I am using the manual, shutter or aperture priority settings. For some reason it just will not take the picture. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. if this is in the wrong forum section I apologise, and could a Mod move it

Thanks again

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    thelegend wrote: »
    a Mod move it

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I don't know about the Fuji specifically, but most cameras have a flash functions setting. Yours may be set to turn the flash off, or only fire under certain circumstances.

First thing I check when I get a new camera is to make sure that it's set to always fire when the flash is up. thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited May 7, 2012
    What camera mode (typically P, A, S or M), flash mode, what settings and what environments produce this phenomenon?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • thelegendthelegend Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What camera mode (typically P, A, S or M), flash mode, what settings and what environments produce this phenomenon?

I've tried it on every mode, with a variety of shutter speeds and aperture settings. Also tried in both dark and bright environments. Still won't capture image when flash is forced on
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    Does the flash fire when you are on auto (not forced), it just does not fire when you force it.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited May 8, 2012
    time2smile wrote: »
    Does the flash fire when you are on auto (not forced), it just does not fire when you force it.

Not so far, the anti red eye goes off though.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited May 8, 2012
    I've tried it on every mode, with a variety of shutter speeds and aperture settings. Also tried in both dark and bright environments. Still won't capture image when flash is forced on

I cannot envision a camera setup scenario which could cause that to happen. I suspect that you have a camera problem and I advise you to return the camera for either a replacement or an alternate model.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 8, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I cannot envision a camera setup scenario which could cause that to happen. I suspect that you have a camera problem and I advise you to return the camera for either a replacement or an alternate model.

I thought that might be the case, I'll need to return it. I like the camera, hopefully I can get the same model
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    I don't know about the Fuji specifically, but most cameras have a flash functions setting. Yours may be set to turn the flash off, or only fire under certain circumstances.

First thing I check when I get a new camera is to make sure that it's set to always fire when the flash is up. thumb.gif

And you did check the flash settings in the Menu and referenced it to the Manual?
    tom wise
    edited May 8, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    And you did check the flash settings in the Menu and referenced it to the Manual?

Yeah, checked both. In the flash settings menu it gives you options such as + - 0 or + 2/3 -2/3. I have tried a variety of these with no success. In the manual under trouble shooting it does acknowledge that the flash may not activate in certain scene settings but I have tried all of them and it's not activating at all. The manual directs you to the chapter covering different scene set-ups but provides no info on the flash. I would have assumed at the very least that when the dial is set to "M" the flash should activate when set to force on?

Also, thanks for all the input guys
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    wait..does the flash ever fire? I mean when you don't force it? could the flash just be broken?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 8, 2012
    Update
    Qarik wrote: »
    wait..does the flash ever fire? I mean when you don't force it? could the flash just be broken?

It had never fired.

I took it back to the shop today, the flash was faulty. Got a replacement which works perfectly. clap.gif

Thanks for the replies, hopefully have some cool pics to upload soon
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    *victory lap*
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com