Options

Photoshop suggestions-wedding

mag74mag74 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 6, 2011 in Weddings
My sister and I are trying out photography for a hobby. We have some wedding pictures my sister took. I want to enhance some of these as much as I can with photo shop. She is an amateur photographer but I think I can enhance them. I have a basic knowledge of Photoshop (took a class). Basically I am looking for specific editing suggestions for each picture. I then want to find tutorials for each suggestion and learn.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for a good website for basic Photoshop tutorials that would be great!!!

Please visit http://burrowsphotography.smugmug.com/ and look in the wedding gallery.
(feel more than welcome to look at the other galleries and make suggestions!)
thanks,

btw I cant figure out how to upload pictures to the forum?

Comments

• Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited November 6, 2011
    I would say that the first thing to do would be to learn how to read the histogram - there are plenty of Youtube tutorials on how to do that. I think the shot above for example has great energy and emotion, but it's underexposed.
    If you wanted to add your "signature style", you'll have to figure out what you want it to be. That only comes with practice and good understanding of your personal aesthetics. So for example you might want to go for a vintage feel (and go for those actions and presets), or a modern feel (Nik software might work out for that), etc. I would also recommend attending workshops and classes. You never ever ever should stop learning!

This is quite a good series: http://burrowsphotography.smugmug.com/Weddings/Magleby-Engagements/19801218_fZvHxB#1556198922_64zP7KR
    But there are some overexposed shots, and some underexposed. You have a lot of creativity and good composition basics. Maybe Lightroom might be a good first step for you, so that you could have a more consistent look and exposure through your sets. There's also free preset heaven for Lightroom, that could get you started on a more stylized look for your photos.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Photoshop is for post processing. You need to start with capturing photos in the camera correctly first, then you can add a special little kick in photoshop. You need to learn how to communicate with the camera. I would suggest the book Photography by Barbara London. Read it, learn it. Then start shooting with the camera in manual mode. Learn to understand light and how to use it. If you always shoot in the auto modes you will never really understand the camera, it's limits or the craft of photography. A,S & P modes have their place like in quickly changing light or with subjects that are moving from one light source to another, but a good photographer can expose and focus most shots better then then the camera can.