grey market Nikon camera/lens repaired by any service centers?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 15, 2015 in Cameras
Have you ever sent grey market Nikon camera/lens to be repaired by any non Nikon service centers? I know the disadvantages of having/buying a grey market Nikon lens/camera. Nikon doesn't offer any repairs or technical support. My question: DOES Nikon supply parts to non-Nikon authorized repair centers? I have heard that lot of grey market Nikon owners use nikoncamerarepair.com for repair. Have you used them? nikoncamerarepair.com does repair grey market lenses but I am wondering whether Nikon supplies them the required original Nikon parts?

I am planning to buy a lens. The price difference is $500 between the grey and the authorized lens.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 13, 2015
    As a working professional, I wouldn't dream of sacrificing the serviceability of my lenses to save a few bucks on the purchase. When I need a lens or a body fixed, I need it fixed RIGHT NOW. In fact, I pay Canon an annual fee to join Canon Professional Services which gives expedited service on repairs (as well as numerous other benefits). With CPS, I can get a lens fixed by the factory and returned to me in a few days, not to mention a discount on the repair. I'm sure Nikon has something similar. To me it's part of the cost of doing business, not unlike my insurance policies.
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    As a working professional, I wouldn't dream of sacrificing the serviceability of my lenses to save a few bucks on the purchase. When I need a lens or a body fixed, I need it fixed RIGHT NOW. In fact, I pay Canon an annual fee to join Canon Professional Services which gives expedited service on repairs (as well as numerous other benefits). With CPS, I can get a lens fixed by the factory and returned to me in a few days, not to mention a discount on the repair. I'm sure Nikon has something similar. To me it's part of the cost of doing business, not unlike my insurance policies.

I totally agree! It is not about a few bucks. The price difference is $500.... This is why I am thinking about going grey.... :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited April 13, 2015
    I suggest, as I did previously, that you purchase from a *reputable source and then purchase a third-party extended warranty.

(*Reputable source, as in: B&H, Adorama, etc.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2015
    I'm just a advanced amateur so I fully understand haring and His dilemma with funds.
    If I were a Pro making $$$$$ with my Camera.......whole diff ball game.
    But I'm just a hump making modest $$ to pay my bills and Photography is more of a Hobby.

I too went Nikon and I believe I bought into a grey stock (saving about $300) it is what it is.

So your not alone haring!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/