Options

Canon 6D and RAW Files

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited April 14, 2015 in Cameras
I just bought the Canon 6D and found out that the RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS5. Has anyone figured out a way of doing so without having to purchase CS6?

I'm set up download DNG files and the photos download in CR2 format, but still won't open.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2015
    Time to upgrade to Photoshop CC. It's only $9.99 a month and you get LR and PS with constant updates thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    Andy wrote: »
    Time to upgrade to Photoshop CC. It's only $9.99 a month and you get LR and PS with constant updates thumb.gif

So what Adobe is doing is instead of charging a set cost for a product they'll be charging a monthly fee. How long will it stay at $9.99?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 28, 2015
    Dogdots wrote: »
    How long will it stay at $9.99?
    That's anybody's guess. They've never officially stated it.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    From what I've read it looks like CS6 will open the files I need. Is that correct? In reading further someone mentioned there will be no support for CS6, but then they said there would be - just no updates. Granted with newer cameras coming out one would eventually need to go to CC, but if I were never to buy another camera again I should be okay. But .. the next thing I read was newer OS might not support CS6 in the coming years. It's not that I don't like change - change is good, but I'm very happy with what I have if only I could open the darn file :cry
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 28, 2015
    You know you can always use Canon DPP to convert your files to TIFFs, then open them in CS5.

CS6 will work, but it's a dead-end as far as new features. CC already has added features that CS6 doesn't have.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    You know you can always use Canon DPP to convert your files to TIFFs, then open them in CS5.

CS6 will work, but it's a dead-end as far as new features. CC already has added features that CS6 doesn't have.

No I didn't know that. I only use DPP for sharpening photos. Thank you :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited February 28, 2015
    Make sure you update your copy of DPP to the latest that your operating system can run. There is also a version 4 that is worth looking at. The DPP .TIF save mode options are either 8 or 16-bit. 16 bit, of course, will save to HUGE file sizes, but will also offer the most latitude in adjustments.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Make sure you update your copy of DPP to the latest that your operating system can run. There is also a version 4 that is worth looking at. The DPP .TIF save mode options are either 8 or 16-bit. 16 bit, of course, will save to HUGE file sizes, but will also offer the most latitude in adjustments.

I will check to see if DPP needs to be updated. Are TIF files better then DNG or CR2 files? I just checked a photo (raw) I moved over from DPP and it moved as a 16 bit.

Lately I've been playing around with adjustments on a photo in DPP (all new to me) and then moving over to Photoshop CS5 for other editing. It's something I could get use to, but I was so set in my process using just CS5. I did download the trial version of CC and have played around with that too. Just don't know what to do. Do you see CC being around and Adobe not going back to 'how it was'?
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    Adobe going back to the old ways of doing business would be as likely as Apple going back to making only flip phones.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited March 5, 2015
    Mary: You should be able to use DNG with CS5 but it does involve an extra step in your workflow. First, download the latest (free) DNG converter program from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html?promoid=DTEHA#downloads Then, copy CR2 files from your camera to your computer--just do a straight file transfer, don't try to do it in LR or Bridge. Next run the files through the converter program, which will produce DNG files. You should then be able to open the DNG files in LR and/or CS5. Like CR2, DNG is a type of raw file, which gives you better options in processing than TIFF.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
    edited March 5, 2015
    ... Are TIF files better then DNG or CR2 files? I just checked a photo (raw) I moved over from DPP and it moved as a 16 bit. ...

It's not that 16 bit TIFF/TIF files are better than RAW (CR2) files from the camera, it's just that a 16 bit TIF/TIFF file preserves more of the original RAW file data and allows you to use your existing Photoshop.
    ... Lately I've been playing around with adjustments on a photo in DPP (all new to me) and then moving over to Photoshop CS5 for other editing. It's something I could get use to, but I was so set in my process using just CS5. I did download the trial version of CC and have played around with that too. Just don't know what to do. Do you see CC being around and Adobe not going back to 'how it was'?

I am very proud of you for trying something different. clap.gif

Adobe is trying something different too, and ultimately it would be simpler for your workflow to use one of their "CC" products, since the upgrades are more continuous and in smaller increments.

As David says it is extremely unlikely that Adobe would return to their previous method of software releases.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    Thank you David, Richard and Ziggy.

Richard I'll try the DNG Converter as you mentioned and hopefully that will work. It's added steps, but I do like the DNG files for editing. I really don't want to go the CC route yet, but if I keep the 6D it would make my life a little simpler when editing.

Ziggy why isn't there a Fill Light option in Camera Raw in CC. I did notice there is a White option.

David my hubby is still using a flip phone :D
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    Ziggy why isn't there a Fill Light option in Camera Raw in CC. I did notice there is a White option.

Best answer here:

Photoshop CC camera raw 8.5 where is the fill light and recovery buttons
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    Thank you David, Richard and Ziggy.
    David my hubby is still using a flip phone :D

As am I! I'm also still processing many of my photos with Jasc PaintShop Pro v.7.14 from 1998. In Windows XP. (I also have a Mac Pro and use the latest Canon DPP too, just to mention that I'm not too out of date)
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Thank you Ziggy. Glad to know I wasn't the only one wondering where the Fill Light adjustment was.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    As am I! I'm also still processing many of my photos with Jasc PaintShop Pro v.7.14 from 1998. In Windows XP. (I also have a Mac Pro and use the latest Canon DPP too, just to mention that I'm not too out of date)

I know of others that are using Paint Shop and love it. I should of learned that long ago. Wouldn't be in the fix I am in now. Glad to know you like the ol' flip phone too thumb.gif
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    I will check to see if DPP needs to be updated. Are TIF files better then DNG or CR2 files? I just checked a photo (raw) I moved over from DPP and it moved as a 16 bit.

Lately I've been playing around with adjustments on a photo in DPP (all new to me) and then moving over to Photoshop CS5 for other editing. It's something I could get use to, but I was so set in my process using just CS5. I did download the trial version of CC and have played around with that too. Just don't know what to do. Do you see CC being around and Adobe not going back to 'how it was'?

you've always had to upgrade photoshop for newer raw files, that's how Adobe makes more $$$
    I agree with the others, use the DNG converter or Canon's DPP for converting to TIFF files
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2015
    Brett1000 - your exactly right. That's how Adobe makes their money. I was doing some figuring and if Adobe keeps the cost at 10 dollars a month it kinda equals out as to what I would pay to upgrade to a newer version every year/couple of years. I just never planned on upgrading. Probably why Adobe did what they did - they found there were a lot of people like me not upgrading.

Richard I was able to do as you suggested. Now it will be a matter of how long I want to do that. I'm not one that likes to attach my camera to my computer. I just don't know how safe it is to do that. Is there a file difference between a CR2 and DNG - does one hold more info than the other?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited March 11, 2015
    Richard I was able to do as you suggested. Now it will be a matter of how long I want to do that. I'm not one that likes to attach my camera to my computer. I just don't know how safe it is to do that. Is there a file difference between a CR2 and DNG - does one hold more info than the other?
    There's no significant difference in the information content--both are raw formats, but they are different formats. You don't have to connect your camera. Just use a card reader like you usually do, but use Explorer/Finder (don't know whether you use Windows or Mac) to navigate to the folder on the card that contains the pics (in Windows it would be something like EOS\DCIM\nnn, don't recall exactly), select all the CR2 files and copy them to a folder on your computer. There's no danger in copying directly from your camera, but it will consume some battery charge.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    There's no significant difference in the information content--both are raw formats, but they are different formats. You don't have to connect your camera. Just use a card reader like you usually do, but use Explorer/Finder (don't know whether you use Windows or Mac) to navigate to the folder on the card that contains the pics (in Windows it would be something like EOS\DCIM\nnn, don't recall exactly), select all the CR2 files and copy them to a folder on your computer. There's no danger in copying directly from your camera, but it will consume some battery charge.

I did try it without connecting my camera to the computer and it did fine. I like to have the jpeg next to my RAW file so I know what the file is, but when converting it doesn't keep the file by the jpeg. That is an irritation on my end.
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2015
    mary, just breakdown and get CC. lol - I did the day I tried to open my raw file in CS5
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    DJT wrote: »
    mary, just breakdown and get CC. lol - I did the day I tried to open my raw file in CS5

I gave up tonight - it was just becoming a pain. I'll download it again tomorrow. Took if off my computer today :cry
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2015
    I gave up tonight - it was just becoming a pain. I'll download it again tomorrow. Took if off my computer today :cry

Adobe finally got you. I'll be facing the same situation at some point when I upgrade
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2015
    You do realize that Photoshop doesn't really open the file, it is the Camera Raw Opener. I can't remember if you could upgrade the opener alone.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2015
    JBHotShots wrote: »
    You do realize that Photoshop doesn't really open the file, it is the Camera Raw Opener. I can't remember if you could upgrade the opener alone.

Sometimes Adobe Camera Raw (commonly shortened to just "Camera Raw", and abbreviated to "ACR") "is" updated for current products, but sometimes a new ACR accompanies new versions of Adobe products and then the new ACR no longer works with older products (... as in the ACR installer will not attempt to find or install for "your" version until you upgrade to the latest version.)

Adobe Camera Raw ver 8.8 was recently released (March 19, 2015) and it updates Photoshop CS6, for example. http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/03/camera-raw-8-8-now-available.html

One of the great things about the Adobe "CC" family of products is that Adobe automates "both" the ACR and the software (Photoshop, PS Elements and Lightroom, in this case) components 'automagically' so that you have less need to manage those updates yourself, so long as you maintain your CC subscription for those products.

However ...

This also means that some operating system updates will be forced upon you, whether you like it or not. This will necessarily also occasionally force "other" software that you own to require updates, making the timing of both software/OS updates and update costs up to Adobe (in many cases).

It is this scenario which keeps me using "perpetual" license products, at least for the time being. (I'm still at Photoshop CS4 (PS CS4), for instance.)

I have chosen to use a different RAW* image file processor for many, and currently most, photographic purposes. My current choices are:
    Phase One - Capture One 6 (32 bit) and Capture One 8 (64 bit), and also Raw Therapee (currently version 4.2.53). Both are very competent RAW image processors, and Raw Therapee is also open source and free. Both also allow "chaining" to additional software, meaning that I can send the output from either RAW processor into PS CS4 for further processing, such as layering, custom PS CS4 actions and other Photoshop effects. ("Chaining" also means that I don't need an intermediate file to go from the RAW processing engines into PS CS4.)

I occasionally will also use the Adobe DNG Converter (a free utility from Adobe) to go from an unsupported camera's RAW files into the ACR of PS CS4, but that's getting rare now.

Benefits of this strategy are:

Better (IMO) Canon file noise reduction**, especially for my older Canon cameras.
    Better "Vibrance" interpretation.
    Ability to better schedule software updates and OS updates to "my" needs and budgetary schedule.

*(Yes, I prefer to capitalize "all" of the letters to signify the files used to store the least processed image files from a camera.)

**(Specifically, pattern noise reduction and chroma noise reduction are both superior to Adobe products, especially relating to older Canon cameras previous to EOS 1D X, 6D, 70D, etc. and "-ish".)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Sometimes Adobe Camera Raw (commonly shortened to just "Camera Raw", and abbreviated to "ACR") "is" updated for current products, but sometimes a new ACR accompanies new versions of Adobe products and then the new ACR no longer works with older products (... as in the ACR installer will not attempt to find or install for "your" version until you upgrade to the latest version.)

Adobe Camera Raw ver 8.8 was recently released (March 19, 2015) and it updates Photoshop CS6, for example. http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/03/camera-raw-8-8-now-available.html

One of the great things about the Adobe "CC" family of products is that Adobe automates "both" the ACR and the software (Photoshop, PS Elements and Lightroom, in this case) components 'automagically' so that you have less need to manage those updates yourself, so long as you maintain your CC subscription for those products.

However ...

This also means that some operating system updates will be forced upon you, whether you like it or not. This will necessarily also occasionally force "other" software that you own to require updates, making the timing of both software/OS updates and update costs up to Adobe (in many cases).

It is this scenario which keeps me using "perpetual" license products, at least for the time being. (I'm still at Photoshop CS4 (PS CS4), for instance.)

I have chosen to use a different RAW* image file processor for many, and currently most, photographic purposes. My current choices are:
    Phase One - Capture One 6 (32 bit) and Capture One 8 (64 bit), and also Raw Therapee (currently version 4.2.53). Both are very competent RAW image processors, and Raw Therapee is also open source and free. Both also allow "chaining" to additional software, meaning that I can send the output from either RAW processor into PS CS4 for further processing, such as layering, custom PS CS4 actions and other Photoshop effects. ("Chaining" also means that I don't need an intermediate file to go from the RAW processing engines into PS CS4.)
    I occasionally will also use the Adobe DNG Converter (a free utility from Adobe) to go from an unsupported camera's RAW files into the ACR of PS CS4, but that's getting rare now.

Benefits of this strategy are:

Better (IMO) Canon file noise reduction**, especially for my older Canon cameras.
    Better "Vibrance" interpretation.
    Ability to better schedule software updates and OS updates to "my" needs and budgetary schedule.

*(Yes, I prefer to capitalize "all" of the letters to signify the files used to store the least processed image files from a camera.)

**(Specifically, pattern noise reduction and chroma noise reduction are both superior to Adobe products, especially relating to older Canon cameras previous to EOS 1D X, 6D, 70D, etc. and "-ish".)

that's also what keeps me with "perpetual" license products like Photoshop CS5