Options

Anyone purchase a camera from Abe's of Maine?

2»

Comments

• Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    captain78 wrote: »
    If you read my thread you'll see that my gripe was the way the customer service guys treated me two different times. I understand that they must "draw the line" somewhere and if it's 15 days that's fine. It's the customer service that I got that has me pi$$ed.
    According to our records the requested price adjustment was issued despite the elapsed time from your purchase to your request. If one of our employees was in any way unprofessional we certainly apologize and appreciate knowing there is an area with room for improvement.
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    No problems with adorama. Had a question and still waiting for a reply from back in may. BH for me but my cc was stolen and used throughout NJ. It started two minutes after an order. Henry and others from BH called me and apologized and everything was fixed.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 19, 2011
    I want to publicly apologize to Henry and B&H for my comment about their poor customer service. B&H did in fact credit the difference on the price match even though it was beyond the 15 day limit. I must say B&H went above and beyond. I only wish the on line guy would have said something about the credit instead of just disconnecting our web chat.
    I'll be having crow for dinner with a side order of my left foot and some humble pie for dessert.

HENRY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE WITH THIS.
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    cadguru wrote: »
    No problems with adorama. Had a question and still waiting for a reply from back in may.

I'm guessing that if you haven't heard from us after 8 months that either the person responsible has overlooked your query - or has left the company.

Firstly pleae accept my apologies; would you like to email me directly: HelenO@adorama.com and I will see what I can do to help.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    clap.gif to all these reps for connecting with individual customers in forums as they are here. I have happily used both B&H and Adorama and can heartily recommend either (although I have to give the slight nod to Adorama since Helen's presence here at dgrin has made her commitment to good service abundantly clear, and she has personally gone out of her way to assist me a couple of times - that in no way reflects badly on B&H, but is simply my own experience w/items purchased from Adorama!)

Also, can I just say - BIG PROPS to "rival" reps at "rival" companies being so obviously colleagues rather than enemies. YES!! We all win when business is conducted like this. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    clap.gif to all these reps for connecting with individual customers in forums as they are here. I have happily used both B&H and Adorama and can heartily recommend either (although I have to give the slight nod to Adorama since Helen's presence here at dgrin has made her commitment to good service abundantly clear, and she has personally gone out of her way to assist me a couple of times - that in no way reflects badly on B&H, but is simply my own experience w/items purchased from Adorama!)

Also, can I just say - BIG PROPS to "rival" reps at "rival" companies being so obviously colleagues rather than enemies. YES!! We all win when business is conducted like this. thumb.gif

Thank you, Madeleine

As Henry once said: "Keep your friends close, but your competitors closer".

If we mess up an a customer decides to take their business to B&H, I'd much rather that, (where I know they'll get decent, honest service), than to some B&S merchant who might rip them off.
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    and from north of the border
    Just have to say that I've purchased various big-ticket items from B&H in the past four years and I've been extremely happy with my relationship with them. The products have always arrived promptly (and getting through Canadian customs isn't always easy) and on those rare occasions where I had to call for some additional information, I have been treated very well. I'll definitely keep on doing business with them.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2011
    HelenOster wrote: »
    I'm guessing that if you haven't heard from us after 8 months that either the person responsible has overlooked your query - or has left the company.

Firstly pleae accept my apologies; would you like to email me directly: HelenO@adorama.com and I will see what I can do to help.

Thanks.
    It was something really small. I never received a reg code when I had bought an extreme III cf card. So I can't use the software. No biggie.
    -Anthony

• Options
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks.
    It was something really small. I never received a reg code when I had bought an extreme III cf card. So I can't use the software. No biggie.

So you are out $???
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2011
    HelenOster wrote: »
    So you are out $???

no it's the recovery software that comes with the card.
    It was rescuepro 3.3. Don't think anything could be done now since they have gone to subscriptions.
    It was that and to verify that the card wasn't fake (it wasn't) because the design changed a little bit.

No worries and I have ordered a lot, but mostly through amazon. Supplied by you, fulfilled by amazon type of thing.thumb.gif
    -Anthony

• Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    captain78 wrote: »
    I want to publicly apologize to Henry and B&H for my comment about their poor customer service. B&H did in fact credit the difference on the price match even though it was beyond the 15 day limit. I must say B&H went above and beyond. I only wish the on line guy would have said something about the credit instead of just disconnecting our web chat.
    I'll be having crow for dinner with a side order of my left foot and some humble pie for dessert.

HENRY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE WITH THIS.
    This is incredibly gracious and unexpected and VERY much appreciated. You are a gentleman and there are not enough of them around these days.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2011
    no it's the recovery software that comes with the card.
    It was rescuepro 3.3. Don't think anything could be done now since they have gone to subscriptions.
    It was that and to verify that the card wasn't fake (it wasn't) because the design changed a little bit.

No worries and I have ordered a lot, but mostly through amazon. Supplied by you, fulfilled by amazon type of thing.thumb.gif

PM sent
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks Helen.
    I tried to respond but it wouldn't let me!
    It is appreciated.

Henry,
    Your company has been extremely courteous, etc. when I have called.
    If you remember a few years ago, out of all the $$ I have spent, it was a 10.00 cable that led to the CC being stolen.
    I still have ordered from BH as well without issue.

I think both stores provide great service and quality.

If there is one knock, is that both places are like grand central station with how crowded they get!
    -Anthony

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Like others have said, it's great how these stores have reps here to help people... I've done business with both and can definitely recommend both sitesthumb.gif
  • Options
    VA64SkyhawkVA64Skyhawk Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I'll put in a vote for B&H and Adorama as well. I've purchased many lenses, bodies and projectors from both of them without a single problem. Prompt, courteous service is the norm from both.
  • Options
    kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I ordered a lens through Abe, gave my order # to Sarah and it's shipped that day without any extra call from Abe CS.

Thanks Sarah!.
    Hi,

My name is Sarah and i manage some customer relations at Abe's of Maine.

- Noticed this thread and wanted to clarify a few things:

We actually were originally from Maine, owning a small Mom and Pop Shop in Old Orchard Beach-- We moved to Brooklyn (and then out of Brooklyn to New Jersey) because Abe, my boss and the president, relocated to the tri state area. you can read more about our history here-- http://www.abesofmaine.com/abesHistory.do

We try to provide the best possible service and take customer feedback very seriously. We monitor blogs and review forums and take every piece of feedback as an opportunity to grow. You can see our Promise and policy here :http://www.abesofmaine.com/abesPromise.do

That being said, if you have any questions or comments feel free to email me or message me here. I am here to help

Email- Sarah (at) Abesofmaine.com
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Abes of Maine is no longer actually abes of maine...but rather Abes of the Brooklyn consortium ....... I have purchased many items from ABM but then I noticed an address and phone number change and called well it seem they sold out to a great Brooklyn company that was known for upsales then if you refused the upsale they would tell you the product you wanted for that fantastic price was either out of stock or grey market and to all the stuff normally packed inside it would cost $$$$$$ more...........

so I refused then and now to do business with such people..........I wish they had not done what they did as ABM was a Fantastic friendly company to buy from and usually the cheapest on either coast during the late 70's - early 90's.....

I had the same problem when I wanted to purchase a 10D (when that model was the flagship of the Canon 1.6x line). The tried to "SELL" me the accessories which came standard with the camera.

I bought the camera online and never heard from them. I called to get customer service and find out where my camera was and was transferred to their sales department rather than customer service. The sales guy wanted to sell me the accessories and then told me that they were out of stock when I declined to buy the accessories. My credit union took care of the matter and my purchase price was returned to my credit card.

Lots of folks have had problems with Brooklyn camera stores. However, I am sure that there are honest dealers of cameras in the Brooklyn area. JUST AS I AM SURE THAT A FLOCK OF PIGS JUST FLEW OVER MY HOUSE!

I stick with ADORAMA because I both like their service and because I like the way that their website is set up.
  • Options
    AbesofMaineAbesofMaine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2011
    Hey all,

We are not in Brooklyn, NY--- actually, we are located in Edison, NJ.
    I am sorry that you have had difficult experiences, if you send me your order # sarah @ abesofmaine i can try to help. We have made very significant changes to our customer service and sales department and we are A+ rated in the BBB and over an 8 rating with reseller ratings.

We started off in Old Orchard Beach Maine, in 1979-- You can read about our history, and our commitment to service here. http://www.abesofmaine.com/abesHistory.do and http://www.abesofmaine.com/abesPromise.do

Additionally, I am here to answer/solve all of your concerns and questions.

regards,
    Sarah M.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Well, I couldn't wait. Have been keeping an eye on availability of the D7000. Found it today in stock at Ritz. They assured me it was really in stock and the price was the same as that listed at B&H. I really like to purchase from B&H since I've had such a great experience dealing with them. But, took my chances at Ritz. Crossing my fingers, wish me luck!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Ritx has a bunch of brick & mortar stores... any in your area?
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Ritx has a bunch of brick & mortar stores... any in your area?
    Actually I never looked before now. Guess there are several and very close by. Too late though, already placed my order on line.
  • Options
    baumgardtbaumgardt Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2015
    Abe's of Maine
    I got my Canon EF 24-105 lens from Abe's of Maine last week….and it’s awesome. Yeah it took two weeks but it’s a legit Canon lens. I think Abe's of Maine offers better price than most retailers. I also contacted them on their Twitter and asked for a discount. Ended up paying $520.