Finally Nikon 7200

time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited May 5, 2015 in Cameras
Ted....
It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
Nikon
http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com

Comments

• Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2015
    I was a bit underwhelmed when I got the email announcing the D7200! Would like to see Nikon announcing something that is a big step forward like the D800 was when released!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 5, 2015
    New AF system
    New image processor
    Deeper image buffer (Much deeper)
    1080p60 video
    Extended battery performance
    Extended Standard (calibrated) ISO range, 100-25600 (vs 100 – 6400 in the D7100)

While I agree that Nikon D7100 owners might not feel extremely compelled to switch, because the D7100 is an excellent body to begin with, sports and action photographers will appreciate the better AF, deeper shot buffer, and potentially (likely) improved high-ISO performance. Nikon D300/D300s owners in particular may find a worthy successor here too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2015
    Ziggy you hit the nail on the head, as a D7100 owner all of these things would be nice but unless it's most of a stop improvement in the higher ISO's (which I doubt) there's no game changer here. Though I'm sure for some the buffer will be huge and possibly worth the upgrade since I've needed to change up my shooting style a little bit to compensate for the D7100's.
    edited March 6, 2015
    Agreed, that's what I meant! :) For the majority it is more of an incremental update rather than a game changer. If I owned a D7100 I probably wouldn't be buying a D7200 but that decision is for the individual to make I suppose!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Nikon definitely would have turned more heads if they had made it 8-10 FPS, and added a dedicated AF-ON button, and I doubt that would have cost so much extra that they'd have to charge 7D mk2 prices (or D300 prices) either.

Still, in my opinion, this is yet another case of "well, the D7100 was already one of the best (DX) cameras ever, so..."

I think to a certain extent, we get lost in the addiction to dramatic, significant improvements in camera technology and we forget that we probably already have a camera capable of far more than we really need.

...Then again, there's the Pentax K-3...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Nikon definitely would have turned more heads if they had made it 8-10 FPS, and added a dedicated AF-ON button, and I doubt that would have cost so much extra that they'd have to charge 7D mk2 prices (or D300 prices) either.

Still, in my opinion, this is yet another case of "well, the D7100 was already one of the best (DX) cameras ever, so..."

I think to a certain extent, we get lost in the addiction to dramatic, significant improvements in camera technology and we forget that we probably already have a camera capable of far more than we really need.

...Then again, there's the Pentax K-3...

As one who just purchased the D7100 (after using a D90 for years and a Coolpix with Nikkor 8.9-88mm fixed lens before that) I had done a great deal of research prior to the purchase. FF vs DX specifically. I have no buyers remorse with the D7200 now on the market and totally agree with Mat in that I have never really "pushed the envelope" on whatever I own. I decided that I have not been handicapped by the APS-C cropped CMOS sensor and primarily wanted the increased resolution and enhanced low light capabilities.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2015
    time2smile wrote: »
    No tilt screen :cry

AKKKKK I dunno if I could live without that!
    That is soooooo handy for low angle and over the crowd shots.
    That's pretty much a deal breaker for this Guy! :nah
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2015
    Although coming from a camp other than Nikon, the lack of a tilt screen was a positive factor when earlier in the yr I decided to buy a 7Dm2.
    Just something extra to go wrong, as far as I'm concerned :)

After trying a 70D last yr for a few days, there's no way I'd prefer using a tilt screen over an angle finder for low level stuff ... the sense of mechanical isolation is far too great imo.

pp
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2015
    Although coming from a camp other than Nikon, the lack of a tilt screen was a positive factor when earlier in the yr I decided to buy a 7Dm2.
    Just something extra to go wrong, as far as I'm concerned :)

After trying a 70D last yr for a few days, there's no way I'd prefer using a tilt screen over an angle finder for low level stuff ... the sense of mechanical isolation is far too great imo.

pp

Have it on my Nikon Coolpix P7700 had it since 2012 use it a fair amount.
    Never had any trouble with it yet.
    Had it on a Canon Prosumer I had for year or 2 also....Guy still uses it today.
    It definitely has it's uses. Everyone has their own prefs....it's all good. mwink.gif

YES Concert last year.......over the crowd shot of Steve Howe.
    Couldna got this without articulating screen!

10502086_806412419371871_2688210316103162109_n-XL.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    I currently have a D7000 so I think an upgrade may be soon in order. Just trying to decide if it will be D7200 or the D610.
    And the D750, is just out of my budget, I'm only a hobbyist...
    I have and use an right angle eyepiece, it was just a disappointment, not a deal breaker...
    Ted....
    Nikon
    edited April 17, 2015
    I currently have a D7000 so I think an upgrade may be soon in order. Just trying to decide if it will be D7200 or the D610.
    And the D750, is just out of my budget, I'm only a hobbyist...
    I have and use an right angle eyepiece, it was just a disappointment, not a deal breaker...
    I'd suggest considering a used D800 too! May I ask what your budget is?
    edited April 17, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    I'd suggest considering a used D800 too! May I ask what your budget is?

I also want a Tamron 150-600, my Sigma 150-500 is slow to focus and just doesn't trill me anymore.
    With that I would say about $3k for 2015
    The D800 sound nice, but im just turned off by the great file sizes it produces, I like to take walks after work, and i'm a tech so I travel to different locations all the time. So I do consider weight and comfort. I leaning to the d7200, but I have a few FX lenses to keep me happy if I go that route.

thanks
    Ted....
    Nikon
    edited April 18, 2015
    It does take large file sizes true... however that allows for more extreme cropping (and therefore zoom range) than you might otherwise have... Although possibly not compared to crop sensor. Think with crop format selected the D800 produces files of around 16MP.
    I am considering getting a new HDD because of the massive files but space is cheap these days!

I wouldn't worry too much about weight with whichever camera you get, lenses and tripod will be the majority of the weight you're carrying and I suppose you can think of it as extra exercise! ;) If it's an issue get a sling strap like the Blackrapid ones and you'll barely notice it!

Also have you considered getting a grey import? I used the website Panamoz and I'm from the UK and saved about £700 on the D800 when I got it (£1380 compared to over £2k at the time in the UK). If there's a problem you ship to their London office and they ship a new one out, offering a 2year warranty as with official UK stock.
    I'm sure there's similar with the US too!

Also just wanted to give a quick recommendation for new Tamron lenses, I got the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC and it's absolutely incredible, cheaper and in my eyes at least superior to the nikon, especially with that few stops extra of stabilisation! It was a 'no brainer' for me!
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2015
    Early days with my Nikon D7200
    I followed the Olympus E series range and was disappointed that this range was not developed further. I own the E3 and E5 and was very pleased with the results with the Bigma and Sigma 150 mm Macro lenses in particular. Low light and ISO performance were things I wanted improved. For this reason, I looked into the Nikon range and found the D7200 which claimed to provide improvements in these and other areas. I have not had much time to take the new camera out much because of family problems (NOT related to the camera purchase!).

Here are a few examples using the Tamron 150 - 600 mm lens.

Low light at dawn.

Wood%20Pigeon%20%28Columba%20palambus%29--XL.jpg
    06:45 15 April. ISO 1600, f8, 1/100s, 420 mm f/l, Handheld.

Daylight - Goldcrest

20150322-Goldcrest%20003_DxO-XL.jpg
    22 April. ISO 1600, f9, 1/320, 350 mm, Handheld.

The problem with new cameras is the time it takes editing software to recognise the RAW file output from the camera. The good news is that DXO Labs issued an upgrade to DXOPRO last week to include the D7200.
    edited April 20, 2015
    Peter, thanks for the pic samples, can you post a few at 600mm
    Ted....
    Nikon
    edited April 22, 2015

Thanks Ted and sorry for the delay in replying.

examples at f/l 600 mm

066_DxO-XL.jpg
    Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - f 6.3, ISO 1000, 1/4000s

074_DxO-XL.jpg
    Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) - f 6.3, ISO 1000, 1/2000s
    edited April 22, 2015
    Peter, thank you...
    I think that lens is on my wish list...
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2015
    At $1099, the Pentax K-3 II might just be better than a "D400" ever could have been, and a bit of a slap in the face of the D7200 as well... :-\

http://photorumors.com/2015/04/22/the-pentax-k-3-ii-dslr-camera-is-now-officially-announced/
    edited April 23, 2015
    At $1099, the Pentax K-3 II might just be better than a "D400" ever could have been, and a bit of a slap in the face of the D7200 as well... :-\

http://photorumors.com/2015/04/22/the-pentax-k-3-ii-dslr-camera-is-now-officially-announced/

Cameras today are improving at a great pace and, like buying computers, if you wait for the best specification to become available you will likely be disappointed and never experience the joys of photography. Choice of camera is a very personal thing and no camera can ever meet every aspiration. I am happy with my recent purchase as it met my own personal requirements. In 2 to 3 years time I may well purchase another camera with much improved specification.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    Seems Canon and Nikon have re-affirmed their collusion of not directly competing on APS-C bodies. I guess the D7200 sort of goes head to head with the 70D, but 6fps vs 7fps is kind of annoying. I don't care about flippy LCDs, but that's another difference. But anyway, Nikon continues to concede the APS-C sports market to the Canon 7D2. I don't get it.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Looks like a decent- and cost effective - body / lens combo for wildlife, certainly.
    Don't think I'm completely convinced about the higher iso compensating for slower lenses issues, myself, since greater light gathering capability has other benefits ... as well as considerable disadvantages (cost / weight etc) too, of course.

I do wonder if the body's clock is set right, tho ...'cos in my neck 'o the woods (E. Mids), sunrise - let alone dawn - on the 15th was only a few mins past 0600 :)

pp

Here are a few examples using the Tamron 150 - 600 mm lens.

Low light at dawn.

06:45 15 April. ISO 1600, f8, 1/100s, 420 mm f/l, Handheld.

edited April 24, 2015
    Looks like a decent- and cost effective - body / lens combo for wildlife, certainly.
    Don't think I'm completely convinced about the higher iso compensating for slower lenses issues, myself, since greater light gathering capability has other benefits ... as well as considerable disadvantages (cost / weight etc) too, of course.

I do wonder if the body's clock is set right, tho ...'cos in my neck 'o the woods (E. Mids), sunrise - let alone dawn - on the 15th was only a few mins past 0600 :)

pp

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply.

I raised the ISO value to increase shutter speed (The shot was handheld).
    The D7200 has improved low light focus performance amongst other things and I wanted to see how it handled these conditions.
    Perhaps I should have said sunrise rather than dawn. I live below the crest of Portsdown Hill and at the time, the sun was just breaking clear of the crest of the hill.
    I hope this helps to explain the conditions better.
  • chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Yeah, the tilt screen is also quite important to me.

So I was upset about that fact. Because a tilt screen is very handy in a lot of video situations.
    edited May 5, 2015
    I would be worried about a tilt screen personally. One more thing to get damaged or break! Although I must admit there are sometimes situations where they come in handy. I almost never use live view at all in fact.
    I guess it's one of those things where if you've never had one you never miss it but you could probably get used to it such that then going without one becomes a bit of an issue!
    edited May 5, 2015
    I would be worried about a tilt screen personally. One more thing to get damaged or break! Although I must admit there are sometimes situations where they come in handy. I almost never use live view at all in fact.
    I guess it's one of those things where if you've never had one you never miss it but you could probably get used to it such that then going without one becomes a bit of an issue!

I also very rarely use tilt screens although I have had Olympus E series cameras since 2009 which have tilt screens. For normal photography they are not necessary except if you are in a crowd and want to shoot above peoples heads or, get low down to photograph plants/insects. I much prefer the viewfinder which shows what you intend to photograph without the fiddly camera adjustment to get the same shot using the screen.

I now have the D7200 (as well as the Olympus E5 & E3) which has the ability of using a mobile phone/pad at those rare times when a tilt screen would be an advantage.
    edited May 5, 2015
    I now have the D7200 (as well as the Olympus E5 & E3) which has the ability of using a mobile phone/pad at those rare times when a tilt screen would be an advantage.

That option sounds like the best of both worlds! :) I accept that it might be useful for plants and insects when you have to get low down. There's a few times where I've contorted myself slightly trying to get such pics!
    edited May 5, 2015

I used to feel the same way. Keep in mind, plenty of folks out there feel 100x more strongly about a pop-up flash the same way, they're called Canon full-frame shooters. ;-)

I also used to never use live view, until I got into astrophotography. Now it is all I ever use, for focusing on stars.

When I first tried the Nikon D5300 which has a fully articulating, side-reversible LCD, I fell in love. Or at least my back and neck fell in love with the newfound comfort levels of high/low-angle shooting.

Now, I even use a D750 for my full-time job, weddings, which you could argue is one of the most demanding fields of work for any photographer, considering the hours you log and the various angles you need to capture.

I'll hate to ever have to use another camera that DOESN'T have an articulated LCD!

=Matt=
    edited May 5, 2015
    Matt, do you use a telescope, if so, what kind....
    there's nothing like going off topic ;-)
    Ted....
    Nikon