Options

Canon 30D/40D viewfinder tilted

The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited April 7, 2015 in Cameras
I have had an issue where my 30D seems to produce images tilted to the right about a couple degrees.
I'm always adjusting horizon images. I usually just assumed maybe I was using the AF boxes and maybe they weren't quite level and causing this.
When I got my 40D I noticed the same thing :scratch
I took a few shots w/ the 40D that I know where level in the viewfinder last weekend (partially to verify this) and they are all 3° off. These were not using any of the AF points as a reference.

Is it possible for the viewfinder or mirror to be off in a way to cause the image in the viewfinder to not match the sensor level? I could probably live with a 1° tilt but 3° is pretty obvious.
____Motoception Photography____
www.motoception.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited April 3, 2015
    How did you verify that the camera was level when you took the images?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2015
    I have not checked with a level yet. What I have done is taken a few images where there was a clear line that I put parallel with the bottom or top of the viewfinder (placed the line near the top or bottom so it was easier to line up). Another image was taken where I used the "corners" of the viewfinder to line up the image. The result was pretty bad.

Example:

Original image:
    i-XP4PkhP-M.jpg

Edit, ~2.75° crop angle change:
    i-HFJZXvV-M.jpg

It's just that first image is so badly composed I really do not see it looking like that in the viewfinder. Especially this image as I was not rushed, I really took my time to line it all up in the 'finder.

I had another example too but it was just used as a test so I've since deleted it.

I understand it could just be my bad composition in the viewfinder, but what worries me is it is always the same, about 2.6 to 2.9° tilts to the right in the image. Never anything else.
    I want to check this with another lens but I think I've seen it with my 70-200 as well, but still need to verify.The image above is with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC. My limited camera technical knowledge I don't see how the lens can cause this but ne_nau.gif
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited April 3, 2015
    Humans are notorious for having difficulty with camera tilt, myself included.

The problem is so prevalent that an entire (sub and small) industry has been created to help with the problem.

First, I strongly suggest using a tripod with an appropriate head and built-in levels. For landscapes with a true horizon this can be a tremendous help.

For hand-held photography, a camera with a visible grid and, better yet, an electronic level, can help further. I believe that in the Canon line, the EOS 6D, EOS 60D and the EOS 70D have a Single Axis Electronic Level, and the EOS 7D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS-1D X all have a Dual Axis Electronic Level.

To truly check your camera for a possible lateral misalignment, you need a tripod and a sheet of posterboard. The posterboard needs to be attached to a wall checked for square and true vertical. (I mean here that the floor needs to be level and the wall needs to be both at a measured right angle to the floor and checked with a level to be sure that the wall is vertical.) Also make sure that the posterboard is level and square.

Temporarily attach a mirror to the dead center of the posterboard, and accurately align the camera/lens so that the mirror reflection of the camera/lens shows in the viewfinder dead center.

Make absolutely certain that the camera is also level in all directions with respect to the floor. (A tripod head with pan, front tilt and lateral tilt is best for this exercise, IMO.)

If you have properly adjusted everything, any viewfinder lateral tilt should be reasonably obvious through the viewfinder.

Now take an image of the posterboard and process it using software which allows a grid overlay. Again, the image of the posterboard should show any imager misalignment with regard to the grid overlay.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    WoodButch4WoodButch4 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2015
    Personally I'd just back up/zoom out a bit and rotate and crop in post processing. I seldom have my cameras totally level in a shot, but try to be close. Trying to get the crop/framing perfect in a shot is a nice goal, but it is a risky proposition if it isn't something you can retake.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Humans are notorious for having difficulty with camera tilt, myself included.
    ay.

count me in the tilt category !
    especially with sports and quick actions shots
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2015
    yes, I agree with Ziggy. this is almost certainly user error. It is particularly common for people who wear glasses because they can't easily see the edges of the frame. Don't take offense; I have been shooting with SLRs since 1968 and still often tilt the camera. Even now, I often have to rely on one of the built-in levels that my newer camera has.

One solution, if you can use a tripod, is to buy a bubble level that fits into the hot shoe. They are readily available and cheap. When shooting handheld, try to look at the edge of the frame, and you can frame the image loosely enough to allow yourself room to crop to straighten the image.