Packages for prints

dragerdrager Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
Is it possible to make package pricing? I have request for it and on some clients I would like the option to offer that. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 24, 2007
    drager wrote:
    Is it possible to make package pricing? I have request for it and on some clients I would like the option to offer that. Thanks in advance.

Hi drager,

Unfortunately, SmugMug doesn't have the facility to provide this option at the moment.

Sorry.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    It's on our todo list, but it hasn't been to-done yet.

Thanks for telling us how important it is for you!
  • WookieWookie Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2007
    Packages are good
    Add me to the list of voices looking for packages as well.

Wook
  • Mac SwensonMac Swenson Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I'll sign the petition as well. That was the one thing that www.printroom.com offered that SM didnt. But it would be super nice because you can sell more prints together, and some people would rather click the buy button one than on 5 different items.
  • DigitalJackDigitalJack Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2007
    Picture Packaging & Various Size Qunatity
    Hey... Put me on the list too... I just placed 4 separate orders for a Cheerleading Club and I had to order some and then order again... Also, it would help if the image name would show on the "Shopping Cart"...

Thanks,

Jack

ne_nau.gif
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    So how many times can my name get put on this list?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Ooo ooo! Count me in.

To be more specific about what I would like:

A package would be a fully specified order: the specific photos with the sizes, crops (if necessary), paper choice and auto/true all part of the package. Essentially what I would like to be able to do is this: when I am logged in I would liike to be able to make a package out of my shopping cart.

So then, how to sell packages?

Method one: have a package attached to a single image. For instance if I am selling a portrait it might be 1 8x10, 2 4x5s and 4 wallets all of the same image with a discount from my normal pricing. On the other hand, if I am selling prints from a gallery show, I would like the package to be a single print with exactly the same settings as I used when I made the print for the show. That way my customers are certain they are buying what they saw.

Method two: have a package attached to a gallery: this would be a collection of prints from that gallery. This would be perfect for selling prints from an event shoot.

Method three: I would like to be able to give out one-time-use coupon codes for packages. These coupons would be either heavily discounted for free to the customer and I would pay EZ prints cost for the order. For instance, often when shooting portraits I like to give the first print away for free in trade for a model release. In a perfect world, I would be able to give my customer a card with a coupon code on it which they redeem for their print. For my use it is key that the coupon code is for a specific or set of prints rather than just cash at the Smugmug store.

Here is what I envision:
    In the shopping cart there is a "make package" button. When I make a package it takes me to a page for setting up the package. That package is given a unique URL for a web page the customers use either to order the package directly or add it to their cart. By default the package price is the same the individual photo would cost. When configuring the package I would like to be able to give the package a name and optionally apply discount the package which is set it up to expire on a given date, after a specific number of uses, or both. If I discount package price below the Smugmug default price (I many cases I will want to discount it to zero cost for my customer) for the package with me covering the difference, it might make sense if the package was forced to expire after one use.

Then on the Pro Pricing page I would like to be able to add packages either to individual prints or to a gallery. For my particular use I think it would be fine to only allow one package per image or per gallery. Ideally when selecting the package in this dialog below cost packages would be easily identifiable by, say, putting the name in red. Another handy saftey feature would be to only allow below cost packages in private galleries.

As for handling coupon codes, if I have a unique URL for the package, I can arrange on my own server to take care of looking up the URL from a coupon code, but it sure would be handy if Smugmug would take care of this. The key feature here is I would like to be able to generate the coupon code before I have even taken the pictures and then set up the package for that code later. In an ideal world I would be able to print the coupon code directly on the model release and have a tear-off that I can give to my customer for getting thier prints: both the free first print and access to the full gallery if they want to order more.
  • dcyphertdcyphert Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Packages are needed!
    I echo LiquidAir's sentiments about package options and more latitude in how we as Pros can structure them would be even better! Thanks.thumb.gif
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I'll sign the petition as well. That was the one thing that www.printroom.com offered that SM didnt. But it would be super nice because you can sell more prints together, and some people would rather click the buy button one than on 5 different items.

Thanks for the link...I definately need a site that offers packages...baseball season is coming up, and I've already been asked to do several shots, with packages to chose from. Hope smugmug resolves this package issue soon.

Thanks for all you do!
  • gestephegestephe Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2007
    Are we there yet? (Packages)
    drager wrote:

Has Smugmug got any closer to making packages available? I have submitted a proposal for the Fall '07 to do actions photo utilizing Smugmug. The soccer club will not consider my proposal unless I agree to do the T&I. Another requirement is offer packages. I would like to do everything through smugmug. Are we there yet?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    gestephe wrote:
    Has Smugmug got any closer to making packages available? I have submitted a proposal for the Fall '07 to do actions photo utilizing Smugmug. The soccer club will not consider my proposal unless I agree to do the T&I. Another requirement is offer packages. I would like to do everything through smugmug. Are we there yet?
    Nope, I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you on this.