Options

Sunlit Flowers with Olympus 4/3 50mm f2

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited October 12, 2016 in Holy Macro
The images from this lens which I posted previously were shot within an hour of receiving it and were mainly just to see if the lens was OK.

Today I went out into my garden to take advantage of the sun and to photograph possibly the last insects of the season. I covered from moderate closeups to the 1:2 maximum magnification of the lens. I wanted hand-held daylight exposures.

As a user of stopped-down manual lenses for such images, I have some observations. They are subjective but based on many thousands of shots over several years. Firstly, close to its closest working distance the lens would hunt a lot and sometimes locked focus way back for the subjects and fired the shutter. Alternatively, its searching and delayed exposure allowed the insect to depart before the shutter was released. These are features of the camera but I would have got the job done quicker without AF.

A feature of the lens is that I am sure that the motor noise startled some hoverflies, although bees were more tolerant. The beep confirming focus lock also put some flies to flight.

Here are some flowers shot with AF and aperture priority. The first was at f8, the others at f11. I have given some parts of the flower centres additional local sharpening.

The stereo is crosseye. It has shallower DOF than I would normally use and could be improved.

EM-1, Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3, hand-held. Lacking a hood, contrary to my normal macro practice, I fitted a Hoya HMC UV(C) filter.

Harold

1364697.jpg

1364698.jpg

1364699.jpg

Crop:

1364700.jpg

1364701.jpg