Options

Sedona Views

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited September 5, 2014 in Landscapes
I spent the weekend playing around Sedona. I was hoping to get some shots of Cathedral Rock from the creek but the area had just been pounded with 5 inches of rain a few days before. That left the creek a swollen muddy brown mess. Not very pretty and too swift to get to the right locations.

The road North of Slide Rock was also closed due to the flooding and rock slide danger.

Oh well, I just moved higher to see what I could find. At least I had clouds.

Sedona%202014-8-L.jpg

I found a great campsite up above Vista Point to enjoy the views.

Sedona%202014-33-L.jpg

Sedona%202014-42-L.jpg

Sedona%202014-45-L.jpg

4. This one was from a side walk earlier in the afternoon.
Sedona%202014-37-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Nice images and you got clouds!!

Sam
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    First four are damn good!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2014
    Thanks

Gotta love clouds.

Yes, for the last one, I wanted to dig out that bush on the left. I figured that wouldn't be a good idea so I just shot it. :-)
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Nice ones!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2014
    A great set of images. Really like the sunburst in 3. 4 is the location from a scene in the made for TV version of the movie Vanishing Point.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2014
    Here is another comp without the irritating bush on the left in the first image.

Sedona%202014-38-L.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 28, 2014
    Terrific series, Brad. Hard to have a favorite here. Skies and lighting are just awesome in all of them. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Terrific series, Brad. Hard to have a favorite here. Skies and lighting are just awesome in all of them. thumb.gif

Thanks.

The skies saved this trip. With the creek being so swollen and muddy and the road up the canyon closed, many of the areas I want to shoot were not an option.

The good thing is, Sedona is now right in backyard so I can go back there as frequently as I want when the conditions merit a visit. :D
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2014
    Did you realize your numbers are off? There are 5 photos but only numbered 1-4.

The very first one is the strongest in my opinion. Other than Castle Rock being dead center in the frame you have great color and tones. The ones you have marked as 2 and 3 are much too HDR'ish for my taste.
    The last two with the tree are pretty good. I would have probably backed up and gone a little wider to use the tree roots as leading lines into the image. You have that a little bit in the first version but wider could have made it that much more dynamic.

The one you have marked as 1 but is actually 2 works good as a B/W. Dropped into PS. Black and White/Green Filter.
    Red = 53
    Yellow = 103
    Green = 265
    Cyan = -9
    Blue = -18
    Magenta = 97

On another note- I need to come meet you in Sedona and Prescott for some shooting. Especially once the snow hits.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Did you realize your numbers are off? There are 5 photos but only numbered 1-4.

The very first one is the strongest in my opinion. Other than Castle Rock being dead center in the frame you have great color and tones. The ones you have marked as 2 and 3 are much too HDR'ish for my taste.
    The last two with the tree are pretty good. I would have probably backed up and gone a little wider to use the tree roots as leading lines into the image. You have that a little bit in the first version but wider could have made it that much more dynamic.

The one you have marked as 1 but is actually 2 works good as a B/W. Dropped into PS. Black and White/Green Filter.
    Red = 53
    Yellow = 103
    Green = 265
    Cyan = -9
    Blue = -18
    Magenta = 97

On another note- I need to come meet you in Sedona and Prescott for some shooting. Especially once the snow hits.

Thank Aaron, I always appreciate your input.

And hell yes! Let's go shoot together. I agree, Sedona's red rocks with snow will be awesome.wings.gif
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2014
    Nice photos, especially the first/top one. Makes me want to get back to Sedona one day!