Options

Moonlight in the eastern Sierra

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited August 28, 2014 in Landscapes
Hi all, I haven't posted a picture in ages. I just got home from a quick trip to the eastern Sierra and thought I'd post a couple of quick shots. The first one is from Mono Lake.

i-6dXf3RN-X2.jpg

This next shot is from the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. It's still a work in progress and full of artifacts that I may or may not to get around to fixing.

i-F2HbGjP-X2.jpg

Again, I know about the halos and such on the second one. But otherwise, comments are welcome!

Cheers,
-joel

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2014
    Really like the first one. Magical.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2014
    I like the first one and think it can be improved by getting rid of the mustard yellow color.

Sam
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2014
    Comps are fantastic!! For first one, it is ambitious shot because moonlit and galaxy are tough to achieve at same time. Also I think 30 seconds may have been too long because starts moved and thus causing blurry sensation. Foreground is bit fuzzy. Maybe 20 seconds would have nailed it perfectly, but I am only guessing as a I have never executed a galaxy shot. The second one feel like a beautiful abstract. Is that also done with moonlight? The foreground is so brightly lit and has multiple colors.....how did you achieve that?

Hope you have many more fro the trip! Any great location found?
    Cheers Bro!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2014
    Really like the first one. Magical.
    Thanks, Phil!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    I like the first one and think it can be improved by getting rid of the mustard yellow color.
    Thanks, Sam! I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Comps are fantastic!! For first one, it is ambitious shot because moonlit and galaxy are tough to achieve at same time. Also I think 30 seconds may have been too long because starts moved and thus causing blurry sensation. Foreground is bit fuzzy. Maybe 20 seconds would have nailed it perfectly, but I am only guessing as a I have never executed a galaxy shot. The second one feel like a beautiful abstract. Is that also done with moonlight? The foreground is so brightly lit and has multiple colors.....how did you achieve that?

Hope you have many more fro the trip! Any great location found?
    Cheers Bro!
    Thanks, Taz! 30 seconds is generally correct for 16mm on the full frame to avoid trailing. I think what you're seeing here is coma distortion, which the 16mm is famous for. I could be wrong though and will try 20 seconds next time to compare. Yeah, there's a bit of a DOF problem being at f/2.8 and all.

The second shot is all moonlight except for the red on that one branch. I think it may have been from the red LED on a second camera I had trolling for meteors near by. I kind of liked it so I left it in. :D
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks, Taz! 30 seconds is generally correct for 16mm on the full frame to avoid trailing. I think what you're seeing here is coma distortion, which the 16mm is famous for. I could be wrong though and will try 20 seconds next time to compare. Yeah, there's a bit of a DOF problem being at f/2.8 and all.

The second shot is all moonlight except for the red on that one branch. I think it may have been from the red LED on a second camera I had trolling for meteors near by. I kind of liked it so I left it in. :D

I see! It does look like a cosmic club! Lets see more stuff!!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    I like both but the second one is the image that I could see hanging in a museum. kdog van Gogh. And you were right to leave in the red. Terrific!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2014
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I like both but the second one is the image that I could see hanging in a museum. kdog van Gogh. And you were right to leave in the red. Terrific!
    Thanks, Don! That's pretty high praise.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    Joel- pretty cool shots. The first one is just too soft for me. The comp is good and the star movement doesn't bother me near as much as the tuffas not being sharp. As for the 2nd it is quite surreal. The yellow and red add to the feel of the shot. One thing that stands out to me is the cyan ghosting around the branches.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2014
    Hi Aaron, true on both nits. I'm going to be reshooting both of those actually now that I've had time to analyze them. It's nice to have these locations so close to home. mwink.gif
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Hi Aaron, true on both nits. I'm going to be reshooting both of those actually now that I've had time to analyze them. It's nice to have these locations so close to home. mwink.gif

Alas, I often reach the same decision. But hold onto the second one. Technical glitches don't matter.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    bowdown.gif both shots are surreal! Technical nit picking and all, I think they're wonderful.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2014
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Alas, I often reach the same decision. But hold onto the second one. Technical glitches don't matter.
    Juano wrote: »
    bowdown.gif both shots are surreal! Technical nit picking and all, I think they're wonderful.
    Thanks guys!!