Dreamscapes - 13 Shades of Gray

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited September 12, 2014 in Landscapes
Well, it is possible that I am trying to pass off something completely bag of suck as good. However, when I went to scout Wilder Ranch, near Santa Cruz, it was morning and completely gray. No matter what I tried, the regular exposures were blah. So I busted out my 10-stop ND filter, and it gave me stuff that I felt was not blah. Later on in the day around sunset time, I went to Davenport-Landing and on my way home stopped by Natural Bridges (last shot)

Search for good epic sunrise or sunset light continues. Below are my attempts. Feel free to shred them.

1)

1W7A6629-X3.jpg

2)

1W7A6646-X3.jpg

3)

1W7A6651-X3.jpg

4)

1W7A6660-X3.jpg

5)

1W7A6669-X3.jpg

6)

1W7A6663-X3.jpg

7)

1W7A6676-X3.jpg

8)

1W7A6685-X3.jpg

9)

1W7A6691-X3.jpg

10)

1W7A6710-X3.jpg

11)

1W7A6718-X3.jpg

12)

1W7A6737-X3.jpg

13)

1W7A6747-X3.jpg

Comments

• bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    heel mooie reeks van een prachtige locatie.
    grt,boco.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    Some great stuff in here. Hard to pick a fave. Love the shots with the birds. Also the sea lions. That last shot is pretty badass too.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    Some great stuff in here. Hard to pick a fave. Love the shots with the birds. Also the sea lions. That last shot is pretty badass too.

clap.gif15524779-Ti.gif Alex said it just right...

btw... your Guano beats my Guano!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    It's impossible to pick one over the other!!! But -- 5 and 13 are killer comps. the fifth looks like a couple of subs that surfaced.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    boco wrote: »
    heel mooie reeks van een prachtige locatie.
    grt,boco.

Dank U!

Thanks Alex! Means a lot because then I know I am not completely lost!!
    Earache wrote: »
    clap.gif15524779-Ti.gif Alex said it just right...

btw... your Guano beats my Guano!

Thanks Eric! In no way is this Guano even close! I was just making lemonade with gray lemons that mother nature provided. So hoping they would move somewhat, creating artistic affect!
    Eia wrote: »
    It's impossible to pick one over the other!!! But -- 5 and 13 are killer comps. the fifth looks like a couple of subs that surfaced.

Thanks Anna! Long time no post! I too thought of them as sub-marines! Really cool! Thanks much!
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    Like #4 and #13. Four - the opposing lines is excellent. Thirteen I like as is but I have a feeling that if the horizon was either in top or bottom 1/3rd of the image it might show better.

All in all - very nice!.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    That last one, with 30% of the bottom cropped out would be blown up and hung in my house over something wide! Awesome images!

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    Outstanding series, Taz. Some might call it making silk out of a sow's ears. uncooperative weather can't beat a determined and resourceful shooter.

I'll trade you some of Florida's endless white sand beaches for some of that fantastic shoreline you've captured.

Keep the great stuff coming,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 12, 2014
    Another great set, Taz. bowdown.gif

Funny how the pelicans line up on the rocks with exactly the same spacing between them. lol3.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Another great set, Taz. bowdown.gif

Funny how the pelicans line up on the rocks with exactly the same spacing between them. lol3.gif

They use their wings as their space bubble.... can't get any closer than that!
    edited August 12, 2014
    Like #4 and #13. Four - the opposing lines is excellent. Thirteen I like as is but I have a feeling that if the horizon was either in top or bottom 1/3rd of the image it might show better.

All in all - very nice!.

Phil
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    That last one, with 30% of the bottom cropped out would be blown up and hung in my house over something wide! Awesome images!

Hi Phil and Wally, thanks for great feedback! Last one does seem bottom heavy. I should have gotten lower so horizon may line up with bottom of the bridge. Hope to return to this spot in different light! Thanks much!
    edited August 12, 2014
    Outstanding series, Taz. Some might call it making silk out of a sow's ears. uncooperative weather can't beat a determined and resourceful shooter.

I'll trade you some of Florida's endless white sand beaches for some of that fantastic shoreline you've captured.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I have to remember that one - Silk out of sow's ear! Gonna surprise you with a Barn shot one of these day! Cheers!
    edited August 12, 2014

Tom
    Eia wrote: »
    They use their wings as their space bubble.... can't get any closer than that!

Thank Ana and K-dog! Didn't notice the spacing before!
    It is surprising how still they can manage to be. That is what gave me the idea to do a long exposure with the critters in it. Little bit of movement kind of adds to it....I thought! Cheers!
  • bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2014
    These are all nice. I like the use of the nd filter. It gives an unreal, take a second look, to the images. Still prefer #10 over #11. I like them all, and that you were trying to achive something different. And it worked.
    edited August 13, 2014
    These are all nice. I like the use of the nd filter. It gives an unreal, take a second look, to the images. Still prefer #10 over #11. I like them all, and that you were trying to achive something different. And it worked.

Thanks Len!
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    I like #13 the best
    Lee Wiren
    edited August 13, 2014
    Wiren wrote: »
    I like #13 the best

Thanks Lee! Feel kind of guilty about #13 because I know it is appealing........ but it is so easy to get....just walk for two minutes on the beach and there is nothing to plan or plot...that's how it looks......no filter....after sunset it became a natural long exposure....had to relieve my conscience.....:D

Others required work...to get to them...then visualizing the comp....etc.

Can't wait to shoot in Oregon! Few times I have been there, loved it! I always say, if I was not living in Bay Area, then that is where I would want to live.
    Cheers!
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    Nicely done!
    edited August 14, 2014
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Nicely done!

Thanks Don! Hope you post more! Cheers!
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    Great Captures
    You have some great captures thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    I think you can call your self a landscape photographer with out any qualifications. great technique, great comps, and great processing..what more is there to say?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 15, 2014
    eyeguy wrote: »
    You have some great captures thumb.gif

Thanks eyeguy! Much appreciated!
    Qarik wrote: »
    I think you can call your self a landscape photographer with out any qualifications. great technique, great comps, and great processing..what more is there to say?

Best compliment a STUDENT can get from his TEACHER!wings.gif
    Thanks Daniel!bowdown.gif

Now on to blending and merging........when are you free?rolleyes1.gif
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2014
    Nice shots, especially #2.
    edited September 2, 2014
    joe-bob wrote: »
    Nice shots, especially #2.

Thanks Joe-Bob! Much appreciated!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2014
    Interesting set, 2, 9, and 13 stand out for me. In 1, the rocks on the right seem a bit hot.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited September 3, 2014
    Interesting set, 2, 9, and 13 stand out for me. In 1, the rocks on the right seem a bit hot.

Thanks Jack! Much appreciated! I agree on #1. Should have mellowed it out more. Long exposure for bright area does lead to that issue. Cheers!
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2014
    Like 'em all, but 2,11 & 13 are my favs. Love the long shutter shots (not #10). How did you get all those birds and sea lions to stay still so long? Vey nice Shots!!!
  • LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    Great Set! #4 is my favorite
    Like 'em all, but 2,11 & 13 are my favs. Love the long shutter shots (not #10). How did you get all those birds and sea lions to stay still so long? Vey nice Shots!!!

Thanks! Always appreciate your feedback! I have noticed in my time of chasing wildlife they remain mellow when the light is low. If it was bright the Pelicans would have take off in a jiffy. However, since it was grey, they hung out. I noticed how still they were, and that kind of gave me the idea that they can be incorporated in a long exposure! Cheers!
    LightMagic wrote: »
    Great Set! #4 is my favorite

Thanks! Much appreciated!