Short hike yesterday on mountain above the village of Beddgelert

Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited May 11, 2016 in Landscapes
DSC_1753-HDR-X2.jpg

DSC_1756-Pano-X2.jpg

DSC_1766-Pano-X2.jpg

DSC_1772-X2.jpg

Another one for the dawn patrol!:huh

Very hazy, windy, and grey yesterday, so I didn't spend long on these. Good reccie though.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 11, 2016
    I love the 2nd shot, beautiful.

It seems that you live in a wonderful place to wander, with and without a camera. Wales is definitely on my list of places to visit - thanks for sharing photos from there.

--- Denise
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Like the last one Carl!
  • Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Like the last one Carl!

Thanks Taz, looks like a miniature village doesn't it?
    Micro machines! mwink.gif
    edited May 11, 2016
    I love the 2nd shot, beautiful.

It seems that you live in a wonderful place to wander, with and without a camera. Wales is definitely on my list of places to visit - thanks for sharing photos from there.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise

only recently moved to North Wales from South Wales, so still exploring - the National Park is beautiful, and relatively compact, so not far to travel from one end to the other, but full of surprises!

iloveyou.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Very nice work. I'm curious to know what economy drives the neat little village you show. Tourism must play some sort of role but certainly other factors must be at play.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 11, 2016
    Very nice work. I'm curious to know what economy drives the neat little village you show. Tourism must play some sort of role but certainly other factors must be at play.

Tom

Hi Tom,
    There are some larger towns not too far away which probably employs some of the population, but your quite right, tourism employs many in the village. Bedd Gelert translates as Gelerts Grave.
    And of course there's a story behind the name...

Back in the Middle Ages, Gelert was the dog of Prince Llewelyn. One day, the prince went out hunting, and left his baby boy in his cradle under the care of his trusted dog Gelert.
    Upon his return, the Prince was greeted by his dog, covered in blood. He ran to the room where he left his baby, and sure enough the baby was gone. The prince deduced that his dog had attacked and eaten his son, and so in a mad rage, he struck down his dog with his sword. Shortly afterwards, he heard crying in the next room, and he ran in to the room to see his baby alive and well, and lying next to him, a dead wolf, which Gelert the dog had killed in defense of the baby. Prince Llewelyn felt awful that he had killed his brave and trusted dog, and so buried him in the village with a head stone in his honor ( you can visit the alleged grave stone!)

Needless to say, the tourists flock to the area, and the locals have souvenir shops, pub, cafe's, Ice Cream Palour, Tourist Information etc etc.

Google Beddgelert and you'll no doubt find the story, better told than I told it! Lol