Mono Craters Milky Way

EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited July 7, 2016 in Landscapes
Had a great time this past weekend up the 395. In between Sierra adventures, spent the night at Mono Craters and took this photo.

Ancient Upheaval

"The Milky Way arches high above the Mono Volcanic Craters along the Highway 395. Although these craters erupted a long time ago, it's still very recent in geologic terms at less than 10,000 years ago. The location is so peaceful and tranquil now, it's hard to believe it was once an area of volcanic upheaval. This panorama of 10 separate vertical frames involved a bit of timing. As the moon was setting behind me, readying itself to disappear beneath the Sierra Nevada, I had waited for the receding moonlight to move away from me off the valley floor, yet take the 10 photos while the craters themselves were still illuminated. I was hoping this would make them stand out more. It also gave the sky a brighter and slightly bluish look. Although the craters don't look very tall in the photo, they do rise about 2000 feet off the valley floor to just below ~9,200 feet above sea level"

Ancient%20Upheaval-X2.jpg

Comments