Options

Working Waterfront

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 4, 2016 in Landscapes
i-8tpMp8X.jpg

i-Z8xJJmK-X3.jpg

i-8RbtWSR.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2016
    I like these, I love the water and boats and docks... always good scenery.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 16, 2016
    These are really neat. You can almost smell the salt, bait and diesel in the air and hear the sounds of the seagulls screeching and quiet motor of the fishing boat.

Were these really taken midday as the EXIF reports? It seems like these should be early morning, although I know how gloomy the coast can be even midday.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2016
    Thanks. Yes, the exif times are accurate, it was a gloomy day. Check out the full size versions of the Sigma images. I can't get over the crisp detail the Foveon can capture.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited May 16, 2016
    very nice, love the second image!

--- Denise
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2016
    I think these have excellent composition and wonderful color. The dreary atmosphere worked imho. They really do tell a story! I could see each one hung on a wall -- like a storybook!
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2016
    Thanks Denise and Anna Maria!
    -Jack

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited May 16, 2016
    I can't imagine how tiring it is to be prepping the boats, working the traps and nets and then offloading the catch on the pier for even many more hours in the afternoon. I can easily imagine 12+ hour days. Yikes. Despite the blah light, these don't seem to need perfect light to tell the story well. And wow, the crispness of the Foveon just blows me away. Good series. Been there on those docks and I can still remember the sounds and smell of the water.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2016
    Thanks David. Indeed lobstering is an honest day's work! Indeed I am interested to see results from the forthcoming Sigma SD Quattro H.
    -Jack

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2016
    Excellent series. thumb.gif It made me think of the Gulf sponge trade run out of Tarpon Springs, FL....both cases where men and their machines try and make a living from the sea. I'll be up in Portland next month and I hope to soak up some of the scenery you have so ably captured.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2016
    Thanks Tom. The section of waterfront I shot is pretty easily accessible, it's between Harbor Fish Market and J's Oyster. Portland is great, I moved here after college from the Boston area.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 20, 2016
    Another one from last night...

5D3_5781-X3.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    Very nice. I'll call this one the " blue light special ". :D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2016
    one more...
    i-FrPGsCR-X3.jpg
    -Jack