Setting password using 1.3 API (new SmugMug) broken

nzsnappernzsnapper Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
There appears to be an issue creating a password protected gallery on the new SmugMug with the 1.3 API. The gallery is created successfully but the password does not work and has to be set manually on the website. The request works correctly on a site in the old SmugMug mode - the password is set correctly and works as expected. The same code and request sequence does not set the password correctly on the new SmugMug.

This is some debug output showing the URL used to create the gallery and the JSON response returned indicating success.

Request:
<OAMutableURLRequest: 0x608000898600> { URL: http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/json/1.3.0/?method=smugmug.albums.create&Password=pass123&ThemeID=0&Public=false&Title=Test4&CategoryID=174186665&SquareThumbs=true }

Response:
{
Album = {
Key = gMNPFr;
id = 44310593;
};
method = "smugmug.albums.create";
stat = ok;
}

A fix would be nice or a workaround if there is one.

An example (non-working) gallery is at:

http://rclportfolio.smugmug.com/Testing-1/Test5/n-GJmzj

The password should be pass123.

Thanks
Richard Laing

Comments

• gabbiegabbie Registered Users Posts: 66 Many Grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    Hi Richard! Thanks for letting us know about the potential issue. I'll look into it on our end and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Just to clarify something in your case, did you go in and manually set a password for that example gallery that you linked to? When I try to access it I see that it does have a password, but pass123 isn't working for me.
    gabbie
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • nzsnappernzsnapper Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2014
    gabbie wrote: »
    Hi Richard! Thanks for letting us know about the potential issue. I'll look into it on our end and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Just to clarify something in your case, did you go in and manually set a password for that example gallery that you linked to? When I try to access it I see that it does have a password, but pass123 isn't working for me.

I have not edited the gallery password, this is an example of the password being broken when the gallery was created.

Thanks
    Richard
    edited October 9, 2014
    We're aware of the issue and the root problem is that API 1.3 does not fully support new SmugMug. API 2.0 will address many of those problems when it is released. You can keep an eye on this thread for updates about 2.0's progress.
    gabbie
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • nzsnappernzsnapper Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2014
    Hi Gabbie,

I would certainly be interested in giving the new API a go, I am currently trying to work out where to go with my iPhoto and Aperture plugins both applications are being discontinued unfortunately. I am considering doing something for Photos when it released and that would be an opportunity to update my SmugMug integration at the same time.

Thanks
    Richard
  • wiredprairiewiredprairie Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2015
    So, I'm bringing this back .. the 2.0 APIs are beta and there are lots of users of SmugMug friendly applications, like mine, SnugUp, that want to set a password for an album/gallery.

The users of these applications are paying Smugmug customers, so it seems reasonable to fix this API. Your newer API, whenever it's fully supported, is a complete change from the old API, so it will be a long time (if ever) before applications are updated.
    edited June 19, 2015
    We appreciate all of the value that applications like yours provide for our customers and we realize that switching to API 2.0.0 is a major change. Unfortunately, the old API versions aren’t set up to support many of the features of the new SmugMug, which includes the way gallery passwords are handled. API 2.0.0 will be out of beta soon and we are no longer adding functionality to the older API versions. Now is a great time to start exploring API 2.0.0 and converting your applications over to use it. We have some great documentation to help you get started and our team is happy to help you work through the transition. You can reach us here in the API forum or by emailing api@smugmug.com
    gabbie
    SmugMug Product Manager