Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Nik, I'm having trouble uploading. Keep getting an invalid album ID error. I do all of my album set ups through SE but thought maybe I needed to resynch. So I did a resynch synch tree for My Smugmug. Still get the same error.

Nik, I had this happen again. It seems to happen whenever I leave SE running all night. Then the next day, when I go to upload some stuff, I get the error. If I close and re-open SE everything is fine. I'll test this out again to see if that's it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Nik, I had this happen again. It seems to happen whenever I leave SE running all night. Then the next day, when I go to upload some stuff, I get the error. If I close and re-open SE everything is fine. I'll test this out again to see if that's it.
    I saw that, too. I think session zombies out on a server (as it should). I wouldn't worry about it too much, long periods on inactivity on the web almost always end up this way...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 5, 2007
    Max File Size Increase
    According to SM R&D, new file size limts should be effective now.
    Please check your subscription file size limit and update S*E settings accordingly by going to Tools|Options, Upload, Max file Size. Pros have 24, non-pros have 12.
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    stall-city here. Same issue as before where it insists that no galleries were created, but if I go to my site I see 2 of every gallery. New twist though, before I would go through and delete the extra gallery and then have it do a update "Get Albums" and then I could upload. Now I cannot get S*E to Get Albums anymore, it stalls for about 5 minutes, tries again, stalls for another 5 minutes and then brings me back to the main screen. Re-attempting to login over and over again even though I am connected.

Using Comcast, for the past 30 minutes I have turned my firewall settings off and still get the same issue while plugged directly into the home router.
    edited September 10, 2007
    I sat and watched this tonight, what "Tug" was talking about a page back is exactly what is going on here too.
    edited September 11, 2007
    BBones,
    Well, what can I say... I experience this myself. Just tested...

Finished Creating album: test (0:04:34)

Servers are very slow this weekend...
    Several users complained about it today, but hey, what can a client app do? ne_nau.gif

I repeat my suggestions:
    set repeat attempts to zero and increase the timeout like there is no tomorrow, otherwise you will have false positives.
    You still may have them, but at a very minor rate.
    And yes, I do beleive the weekend and Monday nights are very bad for upload.

HTH
    can you tell me exactly which boxes to change/check/uncheck please? I want to make sure we are on the same level as to what I am changing and such.

Under "Connection" in the "Error Handling" section I changed Request Timeout from "0" to "3" and instead of getting 2 galleries that S*E and Smugmug couldn't agree on, I ended up with 6 of them. Though oddly enough it happened very quickly. "Attempts to Repost in Case of Failure" is and has been set for "0"
    BBones wrote:
    can you tell me exactly which boxes to change/check/uncheck please? I want to make sure we are on the same level as to what I am changing and such.

Under "Connection" in the "Error Handling" section I changed Request Timeout from "0" to "3" and instead of getting 2 galleries that S*E and Smugmug couldn't agree on, I ended up with 6 of them. Though oddly enough it happened very quickly. "Attempts to Repost in Case of Failure" is and has been set for "0"
    Man, you've changed it from "default" to 3 *seconds* eek7.gif
    Mine is set to 300 (=5 min), and since most of the album creation times seem to fall withing 5 min range it's working OK for me. if you want to be cautions set it to 500..600.
    The rest of Error handling numbers are set to 0.
    HTH
    Have it up to 800, 0 and 0 now and still the same issue

Lovin it, it's Comcastic!
    edited September 12, 2007
    BBones wrote:
    Have it up to 800, 0 and 0 now and still the same issue
    Lovin it, it's Comcastic!
    Dude, I honestly don't know. Try to play with SSL (on/off). Try basic upload to some test album, just to see if the times are way off.
    As I said, I tried a few things, things are a bit slow, but still workable. I'm on Time Warner Cable (fmr Adelphia). Try http://speedtest.net, San Jose, CA server (it's actually sponsored by Smugmug:-). I'm getting 1.5M down, 0.9M up with it. My "instant" upload speed on 1-2Mb files is about 90Kbs, which drops to 30Kbs average (including the overhead and waiting for response).
    edited September 13, 2007
    I'm out of town
    I'm going to Sandy Eggo for a few days (WPBC! :ivar )

If your trial has expired, you can get an extension from the website (Purchase page).

HTH
    edited September 19, 2007
    I'm back
    Business as usual! :-)
    edited September 24, 2007
    I'm out of town until Oct 1st
    I'm going to smugmug shootout. clap.gif
    If your license expires until that time and you need an extension - please check the site. deal.gif
    I apologize for the inconvenience, see you next Monday! thumb.gif
    edited October 1, 2007
    I'm back from Montana
    Business as usual:-) :ivar

FWIW: Image replace functionality is coming soon! mwink.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Business as usual:-) :ivar

FWIW: Image replace functionality is coming soon! mwink.gif

I'd love to have the image replace functionality, since the one at a time old-fashioned replace functionality today feels like 1990's UI.

I'm curious how you will make it work in the SE interface? My dream is that it can be as easy as dragging a file with the same file name as it had the first time I uploaded it into the gallery and then being asked if I want to replace the existing copy or upload a new image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited October 1, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I'd love to have the image replace functionality, since the one at a time old-fashioned replace functionality today feels like 1990's UI.

I'm curious how you will make it work in the SE interface? My dream is that it can be as easy as dragging a file with the same fkile name as it had the first time I uploaded it into the gallery and then being asked if I want to replace the existing copy or upload a new image.

I think I'll integrate it into the duplicate settings. Currently there are only two:
    • create a duplicate
    • reject a duplicate
    So I'm gonna add a third one:
    • replace with a new version
    I probably need to move this setting from the Options dialog close up to primary UI. Anyway, I'll make a first run at it asap and then we'll polish out the fine details. mwink.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    I'd like to add star*explorer to my laptop running vista. Do I download the full install? Do I need a new license?

I've already purchased (and love) the pro version for my XP desktop at home.

EDIT: well, it prompted me to download the full version, so that's what I did. Next dumb question-- how do I register it? The laptop says it's the trial version. I know there's a folder with the registration info that I saved-- thought I transfered it over to the laptop too but no dice. I'll keep trying.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited October 5, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    I'd like to add star*explorer to my laptop running vista. Do I download the full install? Do I need a new license?

I've already purchased (and love) the pro version for my XP desktop at home.

EDIT: well, it prompted me to download the full version, so that's what I did. Next dumb question-- how do I register it? The laptop says it's the trial version. I know there's a folder with the registration info that I saved-- thought I transfered it over to the laptop too but no dice. I'll keep trying.

Pete,
    do you have a .SEL file? If you do, simply copy it to the same folder where .EXE resides.
    If you don't, please drop me an email and I'll send you a new one tonight. As always, you can use the same license over as many PCs as you want.

HTH
    edited October 9, 2007
    Note to users/customers
    I suppose most of you got excited with the latest release of Smugmug API 1.2.1, and I'm sure you all want S*E to win the October API contest. :-)

Well, I can honestly tell you: this is not gonna happen.

While I'm going to improve and enhance Star*Explorer, I feel it is my first responsibility to provide you with the most stable and easy to use application, not something I would mash up in one or two sleepless nights and then let you all deal with the consequences.

Having said that, I'm sure the new API features will eventually find their way into Star*Explorer, image replace being in the works already. I just don't want to rush it.

Thank you for your patience and for helping me to make Star*Explorer what it already is, contest or not: the best 3d party smugmug app on the market! :D
  • TaraTara Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    SE Downloads
    hi,

I am having problems when I download galleries. I am coming up with some blanks (size 0) images. Please help. If I have a gallery with 550 images it shows all 550 have downloaded and I have to click on each one to see if it downloaded the original image.

Thanksheadscratch.gif
    edited October 18, 2007
    Tara wrote:
    hi,

I am having problems when I download galleries. I am coming up with some blanks (size 0) images. Please help. If I have a gallery with 550 images it shows all 550 have downloaded and I have to click on each one to see if it downloaded the original image.

Thanksheadscratch.gif

Email sent.
    edited October 21, 2007
    S*E v.175: Image Replace, etc.
    Well, finally it's here: S*E supports Image Replace. wings.gif

What it means is that you can quickly upload some SOOC jpegs, then process those you like/have been ordered, save them under the same name and simply upload them again. Provided you have specified the magic setting (Options, Sync Upload, Online Duplicates, Quick Check, Replace if detected), S*E will gladly replace the previous copies with the new ones. :ivar
    Can be pretty handy feature for you sports/wedding shooters! mwink.gif

Few other things:
    • support for all the new Extra Large downloads added
    • funky issue with obscure 0-sized downloads resolved (thanks Tara for reporting it!)
    • for Auto Album Creation, you can now tell S*E to ignore some silly names (e.g. JPEG, the folder Bridge likes to create a lot), so you don't have to hit F2 each time to rename the target album name
    • minor grammar thingies fixed.
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer! thumb.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    This sounds pretty cool, but I of course have a questions. What are: "SOOC jpegs"?

It might just be time to put Windows on through Boot Camp...
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 21, 2007
    This sounds pretty cool, but I of course have a questions. What are: "SOOC jpegs"?
    "Straight Out Of Camera" :-)
    In general, something you have spent next to no time on initially...
    It might just be time to put Windows on through Boot Camp...
    Or Parallels :-)thumb.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    "Straight Out Of Camera" :-)
    In general, something you have spent next to no time on initially...

Or Parallels :-)thumb.gif

Got it. Thanks

But I think I am going to go VMware Fusion.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, finally it's here: S*E supports Image Replace. wings.gif

awesome nik thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 21, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    awesome nik thumb.gif
    David, thank YOU! bowdown.gif
    You've made it almost too easy :-) thumb.gif
    edited October 25, 2007
    How to change email address on an account
    Nikolai, I changed the email address on one of my Smugmug accounts. How do I get StarExplorer to update it's email address for that account login? I can't find anyplace in the UI where it lets me update the email address for an existing account that is already licensed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited October 25, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Nikolai, I changed the email address on one of my Smugmug accounts. How do I get StarExplorer to update it's email address for that account login? I can't find anyplace in the UI where it lets me update the email address for an existing account that is already licensed.
    John,
    as always, please email to [EMAIL="support@starexplorer"]support@starexplorer[/EMAIL] with your correct current info (for all accounts) and I will send you an updated license.
    edited October 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    John,
    as always, please email to support@starexplorer with your correct current info (for all accounts) and I will send you an updated license.

OK, I decided it was less work to change the email address back to what it was. I had forgotten StarExplorer was pre-wired that way.
    --John
    HomepagePopular