i need some help with iMac brightness & Neatimage

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
my workflow is twisted up inside out. i was very happy how i used to do things but things have changed for me. i am now using a iMac 24 - its very bright! when i see this image on my iMac its bright enough:

150510693-L.jpg

when i go to work and see it on their emacs it looks too dark. so im confused as what to do - if you tell me to calibrate my iMac 24 monitor im gonna say - I JUST GOT IT! Do I have to do that already? I do have a Huey ( from my PC days ) , can that be used with the iMac 24".

Also, when i had a PC i used to use NeatImage - i loved it! On the Mac its different!!!! my question will the same setting on the Mac as when i used it with a PC have the same results?

im very confused now........

troy

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 8, 2007
    Nice shot Troy!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    windoze wrote:
    i am now using a iMac 24 - its very bright!
    when i go to work and see it on their emacs it looks too dark. so im confused as what to do - if you tell me to calibrate my iMac 24 monitor im gonna say - I JUST GOT IT! Do I have to do that already? I do have a Huey ( from my PC days ) , can that be used with the iMac 24".

The Huey might help. The upper end of the brightness scale on a new LCD (whether Apple, Dell, or other) is usually far above the value that a hardware calibrator will ask you to set for proper black level, contrast range, and consistency with print brightness. I use an Eye-One, and on my Apple Display I have to turn brightness down to a few bars, well below halfway in fact, to match the recommended brightness level for reliable calibration.
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Not only will the Huey work on the iMac, but you SHOULD use it frequently.

Saying that your monitor is new so it shouldn't need calibrating, as akin to saying this guitar is new so I don't have to tune it!

A monitor calibration is something that needs to be done on every monitor you use to edit photos. You should also calibrate daily, or at least before every editing session. Monitors tend to creep one way or the other depending on temperature and a dozen other things. Make sure your monitor has been on and in use for about 30 minutes before calibrating as well. This gives it time to warm up to operating temperature.

Good luck, and nice bird!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Did you change the gamma on your iMac to 2.2?

I don't see any detail in the black on the bird's throat. The rest of the image looks great.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Did you change the gamma on your iMac to 2.2?

I don't see any detail in the black on the bird's throat. The rest of the image looks great.

Sid does indeed have superpowers. I would be dollars to doughnuts (and we've seen what's come of that before!!!) that the problem is with your gamma settings. You need to change it to 2.2 from 1.8.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 9, 2007
    BTW, Huey calibration will change your Gamma auto-magically!

:D
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid does indeed have superpowers. I would be dollars to doughnuts (and we've seen what's come of that before!!!) that the problem is with your gamma settings. You need to change it to 2.2 from 1.8.

gamma? another new topic??? headscratch.gif

im using photoshop elements 4 with neat image ( plugin ). Where and how do i change the Gamma? when i went to the Apple Store tonight they said the same thing but they didnt know where to change it either. they wanted me to go to system preferences -> displays -> color (tab) ->and in the display profile change from iMac to adobe 1998.
    is this what I want to do?
    do i keep it then on they profile or just when im editing photos?

troy
    edited May 9, 2007
    Troy.

Do this.

1) Open System Preferences/Displays/Color

2) Click the Calibrate button.

3) Choose Expert mode

4) You will be presented with a series of boxes with Apples in them. Your job is to make the apple disappear. This will only happen with your eyes squinted. I'm serious. Move the slider on the left up and down to get it as invisible as possible. Then fine-tune with the one on the right, which moves in all directions, not just up and down. Take your time. Rest if your eyes get tired. Be precise.

5) After all of the apples are gone, set the Gamma to 2.2.

6) Leave the white point, or adjust it, your call. Err on the side of leaving it or moving it conservatively.

7) Allow others to use the calibration

8) Name it something cute and cuddly, like "My Pretty Calibration," or "Pink and Fluffy."

9) Report back to us and let us know how you get on.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 9, 2007
    BTW, if anyone has any other Calibration name suggestions for Troy, feel free to chime in.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    windoze wrote:
    when i went to the Apple Store...they wanted me to go to system preferences -> displays -> color (tab) ->and in the display profile change from iMac to adobe 1998.
    is this what I want to do?

No no no no...Adobe RGB 1998 is an RGB editing space. I could understand if they wanted you to change the working space of Photoshop to Adobe RGB 1998 or sRGB, but those are not correct profiles to apply to monitors.

The only correct profile for a monitor is a profile that represents the monitor; that is its purpose. The profile that best represents a monitor is a custom profile generated specifically for that monitor, which is why everyone has to make a profile for the specific monitor on their desk (factory variations prevent manufacturer-provided profiles from being sufficiently precise).

The monitor profile and the working space profile can each have their own gammas. Monitor gamma affects viewing, while working space gamma affects file encoding. One of the most common and tragic mistakes is assuming the profile or gamma is the same for the monitor, working space, and print space, when in reality they can all be different and yet the system can work because the color management system translates among the input profile, working space profile, and output profile. The mistake manifests itself as someone hearing about "sRGB" or "gamma 1.8" in one context, such as the editing space, and mistakenly assuming it to be correct in another, inappropriate context, such as the monitor or the printer. It sounds like that's what happened at the Apple store (hope that wasn't a "Genius").

Sorry, this is probably confusing further. I've read the book "Real World Color Management," and articles on the Web, and it took a long time for all of it to sink into my head.
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    windoze wrote:
    my workflow is twisted up inside out. i was very happy how i used to do things but things have changed for me. i am now using a iMac 24 - its very bright! when i see this image on my iMac its bright enough:

Here is a link that will guide you through
    www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync_1.htm

Good luck
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
    edited May 9, 2007
    Gamma-Bear 1.0 ne_nau.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 9, 2007