This Is Not Your Old Man's Buick

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
But it was called a Buick. In fact, it was called a Buick LeSabre. It was a GM concept car developed in the early '50s. Many of the design features were incorporated into production models of many GM cars as the years rolled along.

848427210_xnSk6-XL.jpg

848427393_usPoN-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    This is a nice car. I had to show it to the hubby because I couldn't find the headlights. He thought it was COOOOOL :D
  • blind.spiderblind.spider Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2010
    That is one of the coolest early concepts I've seen in a long time.
    Makes me want to go out and cruise with my oldie. :D
    Nice shots!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Hi Mary,

I doubt this car had headlights. Most of these concept cars were design exercises only....very few were intended to be driven on the street, if driven at all. It sure is one sharp car, though.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 27, 2010
    Hey Nick,

Thanks for looking in. The " cove " trim behind the front wheel on this concept car was the inspiration for the body cove presented on the Corvettes from 1956 - 1962.

Tom
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    What a unique auto. It looks like a missile on wheels with the intake and exhaust out the rear. It looks like it was designed by someone who designs aircraft.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Wow Tom ..... that is one cool Buick....In the early 50s the family car was a 48 Mercury..... My dad would have liked that Buick......:D gary:D
    edited April 28, 2010
    Hey wendell,

Thanks for looking in. A good many of the concept cars out of Detroit in the early '50s did, in fact, exhibit a huge influence from the aviation world. That was a period when the jet aircraft were beginning their domination and some of their design characteristics began to show up in all sorts of products....particularly cars.

Take care,

Tom
    edited April 28, 2010
    Hi Gary,

I remember my dad taking me to a GM Motorama car show in the early '50s where a few cars like this one were on display....in fact, this very Buick was probably one of those cars shown. That show must have been in 1953 because I distinctly remember seeing the first Corvette I ever saw there. Soon after that show, our neighbor, who was a local Chevy dealer, brought a Corvette home. He gave all of us neighborhood kids a ride in the thing....I don't think I touched ground for a week after that.

Tom
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    In today's mail a friend of mine sent me an attachment with some photographs of a couple of
    1948 Buick Streamliners. Beautiful car, but the photos are not as sharp as yours.

Email me and I'll forward it to you. tony_cooper213@earthlink.net
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Cool car and nice shots, Tom. What lens do you use to shoot car shows like this? There are some around here once in a while and I would like to give them a try. Your shots have such clarity in them.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 30, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

It's great to hear form you.

Long-range optics are almost useless at shows like this. I use, almost exclusively, short-range zooms. As a dyed-in-the-wool Nikon man, I used their AF-S 17 - 35 MM F/2.8 for a long time. For quite some time, though, I've been using, and GREATLY prefer, my Tokina AT-X Pro 20 - 35 MM F/2.8. I don't know if all Tokina lenses are this good, but this one is one of the sharpest and truest-color rendering lens I've ever run across in over 40 years of shooting. If I anticipate doing any really close-up abstract work, I'll drag along My Nikor 105 MM Macro F/2.8 lens. If you try this type of shooting, be sure and use a circular polarizer to help deal with the glare issues.

Take care my friend and good luck,

Tom
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    interesting design. you can see the influence of the jet age in the styling... the designers were obviously enamored of then-still-new jet aircraft, and gave this concept car some jet fighter styling cues... the long, round "exhaust" at the back, and the "intake" in front of the hood...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Quite the beauty. Very refined. :D:D:D Beautifully dressed.

Nice color... Nice rear. Luxuriously smooth contours.
    Clean. Beautiful chrome works everywhere. :whew
    A treat to see these Tom.
    Michael
    edited May 3, 2010
    Hi Tom-

Thanks for the info! I have a Tamron 17-50 2.8, which sounds like a good choice, eh? There's a classic car show in mid-May up in Blanco--I might take a ride up their and check out the rides! :D

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited May 3, 2010
    Hi Rocky,

I appreciate you looking in and thanks also for your comments.

Tom
    edited May 3, 2010
    Yo Michael,

I started looking all over the picture for the girl you were describing....then it dawned on me you were talking about the car.:D:D She is a beaut, isn't she?

Take care, Tom
    edited May 3, 2010
    Hey Lauren,

Your Tamron should do you well. Don't forget the polarizer.

When you're shooting shows like this, you are, of course, stuck with the positioning of the cars as they are displayed.....nothing you can do about that. Explore, though, changing position of yourself. Pay attention to what elements may be reflecting off of the car....perhaps an adjoining car, people, etc, etc. Changing your position can often mitigate, or minimize, the presence of those reflections. You'll soon learn, too, that patience is a real virtue at shooting shows.

Take care,

Tom
    edited May 3, 2010
    thanks for the tips! :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com