Suggest some packages for Little League

PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, I decided today to approach my youngest son's little league for a fundraising proposal. Action Shots (not the posed stuff, they already have a contract for that and I would NEVER touch that!).

Obviously I would just go to games, try my best to get photos of each kid in the field and batting, etc. and hand out cards for them to go to our Smugmug to view and possibly purchase photos and other stuff.

We'd cut the league in on a percentage (probably 30%).

We are well-paid wedding photogs, but we're at the fields 3x a week anyway so any little bit of extra money we make instead of waiting around at the fields, is bonus!

So what do you think for packages? What combo of sizes and how much to charge?

I was kinda thinking $25+ shipping for 1 8x10, 2 5x7 and 4 wallets, mix-and-match package. My cost is about $6, and let's say $6 to the league, and I make about $13/order for clicking photos and uploading to Smugmug (let SM handle the prints of course).

Is that close to the "going rate" for sports photogs? Is that a good package print-wise, or do parents want less "big" prints and more small ones? Help!
Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
2 Canon 40d
70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
And a bunch of other stuff ;)

Comments

• ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Let me know what you decide, looking to do the same thing (shot the first game of the season last night, so improvising with that one).

As for the posing pictures, I took that on this year too, and looking forward to it.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Will do... and good luck to you on the posing ones, our LL has over 1000 kids in it, and the company that does it, brings 6 photogs and at least 6 assistants. It's a complete madhouse, no desire at all! :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    edited April 17, 2010
    I just created a package for $28.99

4 - 4 x 6 Print (Lustre)
    2 - 5 x 7 Print (Lustre)
    1 - 8 x 10 Print (Lustre)
    8 Wallets, die-cut (Lustre)

Profit is $17.18.

I wanted there to be some savings (in this case $5) off ordering individual items. For sports action, I have the following prices:

4x6 - $2.50
    5x7 - $5
    8x10 - $7.50
    8 Wallets - $6.50

This is my first action shoot, so we'll see how it goes. I didn't really market it much at the event (I was more interested in testing my new camera), but I know the coach and passed him the link to share with parents.

4528223341_6cdddfe819_b.jpg

4528880568_b6e97093f8_b.jpg
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    that's a heck of a package for under $30! And looks like you maximized profit on it... did you use EZPrints or Bay?

As for the photos, #1 is a great shot but not really sale-able, as nobody wants a photo of their kid missing! :)

#2, perfect action shot - bummer on the focus but still probably saleable. :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    edited April 18, 2010
    that's a heck of a package for under $30! And looks like you maximized profit on it... did you use EZPrints or Bay?

As for the photos, #1 is a great shot but not really sale-able, as nobody wants a photo of their kid missing! :)

#2, perfect action shot - bummer on the focus but still probably saleable. :)

I used Bay Photo.

#1 not saleable at all, but thought the parents of the catcher might like the expression. :)
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter