Eye-Fi Pro Card, available now.

Comments

• gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just announced:

http://www.eye.fi/blog/new-eye-fi-pro-x2

Faster, bigger and better networking, what's not to like?

Also check out the new "Eye-Fi Center" software.

:-) And all for the same cost a the current Pro :-)

Thanks for the shout-out...
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Looks great. I couldn't find an expected shipping date - any one seen one?
    edited January 5, 2010
    SteveF wrote:
    Looks great. I couldn't find an expected shipping date - any one seen one?

I'll give you our "official" answer -- soon :-)

Amazon and Eye-Fi are taking pre-orders. We wouldn't be taking pre-orders, if it wasn't soon.

Thanks --

Ziv.
    edited January 5, 2010
    OK, according to the following reliable source:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10047-10443

Rob says that we'll have our cards out by the end of Jan. So if he shared this info, I'll back him up :-)
    edited January 5, 2010
    That sounds good.

I've been using an older model with the Leica M9 and getting pretty good results. I'm hoping that the 802.11n and ad hoc will work as well (or hopefully even better) on the new one. Amazon pre-order placed.
    edited January 5, 2010
    SteveF wrote:
    That sounds good.

I've been using an older model with the Leica M9 and getting pretty good results. I'm hoping that the 802.11n and ad hoc will work as well (or hopefully even better) on the new one. Amazon pre-order placed.

WOW, doesn't the M9 have that massive metal plate at he bottom of the camera? We heard that the range isn't that great and that you need to be very close to the router... N should help. It's also a true class 6 card so RAW writes will be much faster, ad-hoc will work well, and overall -- it'll be a great experience.

I'm not sure if ad-hoc will give you more range than a solid N router. It really depends. I know that my MacBookPro's airport is phenomenal, but other laptops my not have a better built-in Wi-Fi card, than a router.

But play. You'll have fun :-)
    edited January 5, 2010
    gillat wrote:
    WOW, doesn't the M9 have that massive metal plate at he bottom of the camera? We heard that the range isn't that great and that you need to be very close to the router... N should help. It's also a true class 6 card so RAW writes will be much faster, ad-hoc will work well, and overall -- it'll be a great experience.

I'm not sure if ad-hoc will give you more range than a solid N router. It really depends. I know that my MacBookPro's airport is phenomenal, but other laptops my not have a better built-in Wi-Fi card, than a router.

But play. You'll have fun :-)

The website lists the M8 as not being compatible. I haven't tried an M8, but I regularly use the M9 with the original 2gb card with no problems. My application is in a single large room - often 30-40 feet from the router.

It would be much easier just to bring my notebook instead of the router, cords, etc.

It would also be easy to fashion a strong plastic piece to replace the bottom plate on the m9. If range is an issue I might do that.
    edited January 6, 2010
    30-40 feet with the M9 is very impressive. May I ask which router are you using, and what settings?

The only reason that we list the M8 and M9 as unsupported is range. But we'll do more checking. We don't have the M8 nor the M9 in the office :-)
    edited January 6, 2010
    gillat wrote:
    30-40 feet with the M9 is very impressive. May I ask which router are you using, and what settings?

The only reason that we list the M8 and M9 as unsupported is range. But we'll do more checking. We don't have the M8 nor the M9 in the office :-)

Hello,

Router is an Apple Time Capsule 802.11n, pretty much on default settings.

Sounds like you need a Leica field tester... mwink.gifmwink.gif
    edited January 7, 2010
    Makes sense. Apple makes great hardware.

Thx :-)

I agree that we need more help testing the M8/M9. We're taking donations :-)

I'll keep you posted :-)
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Sony
    I see that Sony is finally making some SD compatible cameras. Any word on them for eye-fi?ne_nau.gif
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited February 15, 2010
    davemj98 wrote:
    I see that Sony is finally making some SD compatible cameras. Any word on them for eye-fi?ne_nau.gif
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

Sorry, but we can't pre-announce anything... Stay tuned, via our mailing list:

http://www.eye.fi/about/mailing-list

It's cool to see how everyone is moving to SD/SDHC.

Thx --

Ziv.
    edited February 27, 2010
    End of Feb - it seems the 8gb isn't shipping yet.....

Soon, maybe?
    edited February 27, 2010
    SteveF wrote:
    End of Feb - it seems the 8gb isn't shipping yet.....

Soon, maybe?

Yup. Promise. We're building enough for all the channels. Watch Amazon and others change from "pre-order" to "in-stock" in a few days.
    edited March 11, 2010
    Sony
    The newly announced Sony pocket cam with GPS and HD video arrived and has been used successfully at my house to wirelessly upload pic's to my Smugmug account with my Eye-Fi card for photos. If I could afford that new video card, I would report more.
    clap.gif HX5V
    Dave
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited March 11, 2010
    Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I'll add them to our list of supported cameras :-) Go SONY :-)
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Can you post a link to the owner's manual? I'd like to read up on how it is set up. ty ty
    edited March 11, 2010
    For Eye-Fi or for the Sony camera?
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    gillat wrote:
    For Eye-Fi or for the Sony camera?

Canon cameras ;)
    edited March 14, 2010
    edited March 19, 2010
    Got the new 8gb wi-fi card in the mail yesterday. Ordered through Amazon.

Works fine on the M9 using a router.

For some reason I haven't been able to get it to work ad hoc yet, but the Eye-Fi support staff are looking into it.

Fun card - lots of control in the Eye-Fi center.
  • WayoneWayone Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    No CF
    I know you said to not hassle you, but I would definitely get one if it was a cf card... ne_nau.gif unfortunately my D300 doesn't support SD cards... So I guess I'm putting in my vote to hurry along the CF card research and development!

I know I'm not supposed to hassle anyone, but NO CF really rules out a lot of the real pros.
    Chris

www.kissablephotos.com
    5D Mark II
    All Canon L glass from 16mm on up
    Radio Poppers
    580 EX II's
    27" iMac i5
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    It seems marketing has paid offf.....I see them in all of the Best Buys now.........

So I asked about CF back at the begining of the thread......

What is the word on CF?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Come on now.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• gtuckergtucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Does this card use more battery power when transferring over wifi?
    edited October 8, 2010
    Hi,

I recently had some trouble setting up the Eye-Fi 8gb Wi-fi Pro X2 card on a new camera.

Have to hand it to the Eye-fi folks - their customer support in getting the issue resolved was as good as one could hope for.

We did trouble shooting at each step of the problem, they were frank about the challenges of the process and in the end all is working well.

Thanks Larry, Nicki and the other folks who have made this such a good product. Can't wait to see what new tricks are coming down the pipe.
    edited October 8, 2010
    SteveF wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently had some trouble setting up the Eye-Fi 8gb Wi-fi Pro X2 card on a new camera.

Have to hand it to the Eye-fi folks - their customer support in getting the issue resolved was as good as one could hope for.

We did trouble shooting at each step of the problem, they were frank about the challenges of the process and in the end all is working well.

Thanks Larry, Nicki and the other folks who have made this such a good product. Can't wait to see what new tricks are coming down the pipe.

AWESOME. THANK YOU. I'll let Larry and team know. Feel free to contact us any time.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    A cf eye fi card would sure make syncing to my new iPad very nice... Nudge nudge...

Seriously, there are hundreds of thousands of pro and semi pro photographers that have cameras... That don't accept sd cards. You're company is totally missing a majority of the market! I've been wanting one of these for a very long time now.

You know what you should do? Develop an sd to cf converter that is guaranteed to work with your products. I know there are some off brand ones on the market, but why not take advantage and bring in the people that are on the fence about purchasing one. You'll not only get the pro photogs off your back, but you'll gain them as clients. Aka more money.
    Jer
    edited November 6, 2010
    Hi Jeremy,
    A cf eye fi card would sure make syncing to my new iPad very nice... Nudge nudge...

check out Rob Galbraith's latest write-up. It's VERY detailed -- http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10055-10851
    Seriously, there are hundreds of thousands of pro and semi pro photographers that have cameras... That don't accept sd cards. You're company is totally missing a majority of the market! I've been wanting one of these for a very long time now.

For the record, I've been a huge fan of CF since day 1 of Eye-Fi. I'm a pro, so I totally get it. But I'm sorry to say -- it's far from a majority. It's a 5% marketshare, and shrinking, vs. 90%+ and growing (SD/SDHC). This is based on retail sales and actual photos shared through popular sharing sites, where we've scraped the data, and dug through it.

That 5% is passionate and vocal though. I fully realize that. But look at where CF is going. Canon's latest 60D is SD. Nikon's D300s is CF+SD. Nikon's latest D7000 is dual-SD. The newest $10K Pentax medium format camera is dual-slot SD. etc... By Canon going to SD on the 60D, you can see that they're even going to SD in their mid-range cameras. All of Canon's pro bodies are dual-slot CF + SD.

I wish we could address the 5DmkII market. We can't, right now.
    You know what you should do? Develop an sd to cf converter that is guaranteed to work with your products. I know there are some off brand ones on the market, but why not take advantage and bring in the people that are on the fence about purchasing one. You'll not only get the pro photogs off your back, but you'll gain them as clients. Aka more money.

Tried it. It's more complicated than you think. I haven't given up yet. There may be solutions out there, one day. Or, there may not. Time will tell. The window for CF is shrinking, so hopefully something will exist, at one point. If not, next time that you guys purchase a body to replace your 5DmkII, it'll probably have an SD slot in it :-)
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I understand your points about CF, and agree that it'll probably start disappearing relatively soon. So I can see why you guys wouldn't want to spend the money to develop it.

But, even though CF may be only 5% of the market and shrinking, I bet your product would be more popular with the CF crowd in general. I bet there are more people using wireless flashes with CF cameras than SD cameras. Not that wireless flash and wifi memory cards are similar, but I'd bet that the same types of pros/semi-pros that use wireless flash triggers would use your product too.

I'm just guessing that you guys could have done very very well with a CF version, even if the CF market is much smaller.

Dave
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I hope CF stays around a long time. I can't STAND SD cards. Too damn small....