User Error and first post

VivianGVivianG Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited February 20, 2005 in Technique
Hi everyone,
I trying to understand my camera. I set my camera on the tripod an attempted to take this shot. What I noticed in every 100% crop is that the handle is out of focus.
I'm a little over two feet from the basket, the basket is about 16". I'm using single point focusing almost on the middle of the basket. The handle on the bottom is OOF.

Where am I failing in understanding my camera.
http://WiseGirl.smugmug.com/photos/16171988-L.jpg

Thanks for your help,
Vivian
Shooting Mode
Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
+1/3
ISO Speed
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
38.0 mm
Image Size
3504x2336
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance Mode
Cloudy
AF Mode
One-Shot AF
Parameters Settings
Contrast Standard
Sharpness Standard
Color saturation Standard
Color tone 0
Color Space
sRGB

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    You could try shooting from further back. That will increase your DOF (depth of field).

Also the focus point has the front 1/3 and the back 2/3 in focus. So you may want to move the focus point closer to the camera to get the handle in focus while still allowing the rest to be reasonably in focus too.

Failing all that. Take two shots from the tripod. Each shot has a different focus point. Combine the sharpest parts of each image into one perfectly sharp image. The technique is similar to exposure blending, except instead of blending exposures, you would be blending focus. You can read about exposure blending here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Great reading, thanks for the link! deal.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • VivianGVivianG Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Thank you, moving back did help. I think that I need to read more on depth of field. Thank you for posting the link for the photshop help.