Options

Smugmug has some shoes to fill

ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited March 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
http://www.exposuremanager.com/scripts/website.pl?rm=compare

Link above does a campare between a few companies to include smugmug.

Feature list
This page is meant to give you a quick overview of our functionality. The following list is merely a compilation of our most important features and is by no means comprehensive. For more information on certain features, please see the sidebar.
  • Unlimited storage space / Unlimited uploads / 20 GB per month download limit
  • Unlimited galleries and nesting of sub galleries
  • Web-based and FTP based uploading
  • Upload smaller 'pre-order' photos (full version to be uploaded after order)
  • Watermarking (even with your own logo!)
  • Password protection on galleries
  • Searchable galleries / keywording tool
  • Specify images sizes and image quality
  • Customizable header & footer and templates (see samples)
  • Your own subdomain (e.g. yourname.exposuremanager.com)
  • Domain mapping option (e.g. gallery.yourdomain.com)
  • Different pricing per galleries
  • Order from multiple galleries
  • Package pricing (for one or multiple photos)
  • Discount coupons
  • 'Reprint' & Volume discounts
  • Pro Lab fulfillment, digital and self-fulfillment
Gary Harfield
Owner/Photographer
Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 13, 2006
    I'm just a happy smugmug customer... with that in mind, that feature list above in your post, is that yours or Exposure-Manager's? If it's theirs, could you please cite it and quote it better, because the way your post reads makes it sound like you own the company (or at least well-affiliated, I don't think you are, just sayin') and are touting your features. In other words, when I read your above post in my moderator hat, I want to delete it for sounding very, very spammish.

Now, to play devil's advocate: I usually have a hard time with comparo's that are written by one of the competitors in the comparo.

I found more than one feature that EM has not given Smugmug credit for having. Several in the "workflow" section are simply worded such that SM doesn't get a checkmark. for example, you can in fact manipulate images in SM after uploading them.

Anyway, any competition is good competition.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Wow! Really sounds too good to be true. Has anyone here tried it?

Malte
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Wow! Really sounds too good to be true. Has anyone here tried it?

Malte

Im going to sign up as they offer a 40 off for coming from another service.

and they are offering

Package pricing (for one or multiple photos)
    Discount coupons
    'Reprint' & Volume discounts
    Pro Lab fulfillment, digital and self-fulfillment
    all that we have asked smugmug to offer and don't so far
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Gary, they sure have some interesting features, and a search here on Dgrin will show that it's been brought up before - nothing new here. I have two questions for you:

1) if you have something specific to say, say it please, this is a laundry list of another company's service, meaning - are there some features that EM has that you want for your photography business on SmugMug? If so, we're all ears and you should please voice them in our FR thread, here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23482

2) I wonder, how much personalized web-help EM gives their customers.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27780

Good luck, in whatever your decision is!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gary, they sure have some interesting features, and a search here on Dgrin will show that it's been brought up before - nothing new here. I have two questions for you:

1) if you have something specific to say, say it please, this is a laundry list of another company's service, meaning - are there some features that EM has that you want for your photography business on SmugMug? If so, we're all ears and you should please voice them in our FR thread, here:

Good luck, in whatever your decision is!

I did say what specific thing

the services here
    Discount coupons

we have asked smugmug to offer, and so don't so far. With no time line in the future to add them, and there is no reason to add it to that thread you posted cause its been posted time and time again.

Gary

PS thanks for your concern.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Cool, keep us posted. I love Smugmug dearly so I'm not jumping ship but competition is healthy. About the switcharoo, are you not on Smugmug? They have a disclaimer on the sign-up discount: "* Qualifying services are: collages.net, eventpix, pictage, photoreflect, printroom and shutterfly."

What are these things: 'Reprint' Pro Lab fulfillment, digital and self-fulfillment?

Malte
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Good luck, in whatever you do, Gary...

BTW Andy,

I do love Smugmug and thw wonderful help I receive, but lets make sure we are on the same page, its not what the page looks like and cs, its will I sell more. Having the extra features as this one below

After the order has been placed, it remains a branded experience. All e-mail communications are addressed as coming from you. We offer the ability to have your logo printed on the index print going to customers, as well as have your company name on from address on the packaging. You can even have an insert automatically included that highlights your company.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    BTW Andy,

I do love Smugmug and thw wonderful help I receive, but lets make sure we are on the same page, its not what the page looks like and cs, its will I sell more. Having the extra features as this one below

After the order has been placed, it remains a branded experience. All e-mail communications are addressed as coming from you. We offer the ability to have your logo printed on the index print going to customers, as well as have your company name on from address on the packaging. You can even have an insert automatically included that highlights your company.

thumb.gif that's great feedback, Gary. Thanks. These, amongst other features (custom watermarks, back printing, digital downloads) are some things that we're in active discussions about.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:

This is a good point but I guess he'll never know until he gives it a go.

Smugmugs featurelist is impressive and apparently so are other services featureslists. What I am convinced I won't find anywhere else is the "feel" of this place. (The fact that I spontaneously called it a place says it all) It feels like home doesn't it? My site is my house and dgrin is my family, they help me build it. How's that for deep? artist.gif Alright I'm back now. :thwak

Malte
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006

Looks like you won't be able to get that discount
    Competitive Upgrade
    We are currently offering a competitive upgrade from several photo services. This promotion gives you a $40.00 discount on the first subscription payment of a one year event account. To qualify all you have to do is, on the next page, select your service*, and enter your current gallery URL**. This offer is valid till March 21st, 2006. Not valid in combination with other promotional offers, except referrals.

* Qualifying services are: collages.net, eventpix, pictage, photoreflect, printroom and shutterfly.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006

and they are offering

Discount coupons
    all that we have asked smugmug to offer and don't so far
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Gary,
    Thanks for the tip. Are you an owner of this company? You speak like you have had a good experience with them, but you also comment that you are going to sign up with them. Know anyone who is using them and is happy with their service?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    have fun styling the tables!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    I've given Exposure Manager a try for about two weeks now. I looked into them for a few reasons:

Custom watermarking, proof uploading, ditigal downloads and photographer branding versus Smugmug branding were the biggies. Coupons and photo packages were icing on the cake.

A few of those have been asked for on Smugmug for quite sometime, in particular toning down the obtrusive watermark we have here and digital downloads. And the photographer branding I've seen mentioned a lot as well.

My take so far is that Smugmug is much easier to get a classier look on than Exposure Manager, mostly due to Themes. It appears I'd have to learn CSS to get my Exposure Manager site to look nice (mercphoto.exposuremanager.com). I'm sure I could get my EM site to look much nicer if I only knew how to do it, or paid someone to code it for me.

EM and SM keyword differently, and its a tough call to say whose is better. SM has the very cool feature that you can actually code a search result as a URL (for example, mercphoto.smgumug.com/keyword/2006mar05-Group3). EM, however, allows you group keywords into related groups (for example, a group describing numbers on a kart, another group of keywords for race group, etc.). EM requires the user to actually type in a keyword value to do a search, however. Pros and cons to both approaches. One thing I wish was EM would supply the user with a list of defined keywords for each group that can be searched.

I haven't switched from SM to EM yet, nor have I decided whether I will or not either. Both sites have their strengths.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Smugmugs featurelist is impressive and apparently so are other services featureslists.

It is. Maybe Exposure Manager has big shoes to fill, maybe the two companies provide different services that each fill a niche. Smugmug is fantastic in customer support and the service they provide.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Gary, I took a look at your site, and found it a tad confusing...not sure that adding flash really helps, I don't see why I would need the option.

But really, take this in the best and most constructive manner: change your bio pic. You look like the saddest of sad-sacks. When you put up a photo of yourself that doesn't make YOU look good, I wonder if you could make my wedding look good.

Just my two cents.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    If only Smugmug had these (in order of preference):
    1. Package pricing/volume discounts (for one or multiple photos)
    2. digital downloads
    3. Customized Watermarking
    4. Discount coupons
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Hey Gary, you have a typo on your HTML wedding packages page, at the bottom, copie instead of copy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    If only Smugmug had these (in order of preference):
    2. digital downloads
    4. Discount coupons

PLEASE ADD THESE FEATURES!! I WANT to stay with Smugmug, but it seems like these issues have been around for years with no solution , "we are talking about it" and "Thanks for letting us know" can only go so far!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    2. digital downloads
    4. Discount coupons

Ok...after looking through some demo sites over at ExposureManager...Smugmug as a SITE is definitely better. But in terms of raw sales...the features mentioned above will = more sales. Smugmug, please, we are begging you here. Just give it to us!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Last thing...I'm really surprised that Smugmug is even letting this thread grow on their OWN support site. It seems more like an advertisement for ExposureManager than anything else...

That being said, ExposureManager support contacted me and confirmed that you can get the discount if you are coming over from Smugmug. Despite knowing this, however, it is doubtful that I will budge.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Last thing...I'm really surprised that Smugmug is even letting this thread grow on their OWN support site. It seems more like an advertisement for ExposureManager than anything else...

And that's to their credit. They're not afraid of competition or putting their service up against anyone else's.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:

That being said, ExposureManager support contacted me and confirmed that you can get the discount if you are coming over from Smugmug. Despite knowing this, however, it is doubtful that I will budge.

Hi Dodge, this is a free site, and as long as folks comply with the rules, they can post anything they like. Including what they like about our competitors.

We actually make it quite easy to leave SmugMug - because we believe that we should be delivering value, service - and if we're not, why we don't want you to be a victim of "lock in."

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2005/07/06/vendor-lock-in-sucks-making-it-easy-to-leave-smugmug/
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Gary,
    Thanks for the tip. Are you an owner of this company? You speak like you have had a good experience with them, but you also comment that you are going to sign up with them. Know anyone who is using them and is happy with their service?

How come nobody answered my question?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    I did Mitch. Look, page 2, post 14.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    I did Mitch. Look, page 2, post 14.

Thanks, Bill.

I was curious about Gary's relationship with EM.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:

Mitchell, he's a SmugMug customer, not the owner of EM.
    I hope this helps.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    This all looks fantastic when viewing the comparison chart at:
    http://www.exposuremanager.com/scripts/website.pl?rm=compare

What I find lacking still yet is the ability to upload 1 photo that is print ready and have the customer order several sizes/prints/products from that one photo... allowing the customer to choose their crop area and freeing my time considerably.

Also their 4x6s are priced at 39 cents verses smugmugs 29 cents for luster 4x6s. With 4x6s being my most popular size ordered that 10 cent difference would add up fast.

I didn't compare other print/product sizes yet.

When time allows I might check into their services further but... who has time these days? I don't! I'm holding out hopfully confident smugmug will do their best to match their features & services. hmmmm... maybe will finally see some features we've been pleading for spring up soon :D
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    What I find lacking still yet is the ability to upload 1 photo that is print ready and have the customer order several sizes/prints/products from that one photo... allowing the customer to choose their crop area and freeing my time considerably
    I don't think they have customer cropping, only automatic cropping or photographer cropping.
    Also their 4x6s are priced at 39 cents verses smugmugs 29 cents for luster 4x6s. With 4x6s being my most popular size ordered that 10 cent difference would add up fast.
    All other print sizes are cheaper at EM. Also note their commission is 10%, not 15%. Consider a 4x6 sold for $6 at both services. Total photographer profit at Smugmug is $4.89. Exposure Manager is $5.05. Big deal that the print itself is more pricey, in the end you get more $$$ in your pocket.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    I don't think they have customer cropping, only automatic cropping or photographer cropping..

It appears their is no automatic cropping at all... I think you have to upload each size sold or for sale. If I'm wrong please show me thumb.gif

mercphoto wrote:
    All other print sizes are cheaper at EM. Also note their commission is 10%, not 15%. Consider a 4x6 sold for $6 at both services. Total photographer profit at Smugmug is $4.89. Exposure Manager is $5.05. Big deal that the print itself is more pricey, in the end you get more $$$ in your pocket.

WOW... okay big difference. Hmmmmmmmm.....

What about their s/h fees? How do they compare?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    It appears their is no automatic cropping at all... I think you have to upload each size sold or for sale. If I'm wrong please show me thumb.gif
    I've asked their tech support that question.
    WOW... okay big difference. Hmmmmmmmm.....
    Yes, you have to consider everything. Print cost, commission, even annual dues. I do not know how their s/h compares, I have not looked at that.
    A former sports shooter