Options

New Grinner

SpenceSpence Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited February 28, 2016 in Mind Your Own Business
Good Afternoon All
I am new to the DG page and wanted to say Hello. I have a question on selling photos on SM - that is for a beginner what is a good mark up percentage. The 400% seems a bit high
Thanks
Spence

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited February 21, 2016
    Hey Spence and welcome to the Digital Grin, aka DGrin.

I moved your post because you are asking a business type question. The appropriate forum for that question is "Mind Your Own Business".

I'm rather poor at the business aspect of photography, so I'll ask others to answer your question.

Also, feel free to search the forum. This question (of pricing) comes up fairly frequently.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Hey Spence and welcome to the Digital Grin, aka DGrin.

I moved your post because you are asking a business type question. The appropriate forum for that question is "Mind Your Own Business".

I'm rather poor at the business aspect of photography, so I'll ask others to answer your question.

Also, feel free to search the forum. This question (of pricing) comes up fairly frequently.

Thanks John - glad to be part of the Grinners...Spence
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2016
    Depends on perspective. 400% markup on a 4x6 isn't much, one on a canvas is. I don't like percentage of markups and here is why. I spend as much time editing a 4x6 as a 8x10. I don't think in terms of selling a piece of paper but an image. I price to be in line with my local market but also make it worth my time.

If someone asks why is my price $30 for an 8x10 when they can get it for $1 at Walmart I explain they can get a 8x10 at Walmart but not with the pic of their family on it. If they want a 1$ print at Walmart then they can buy the digital version and make all the prints they want.

Look at your local market and price accordingly. If you undercut the market then you need to find ways to be profitable. When I started out I was cheap and didn't actually make money after taking into consideration my time, equipment and experience. I try to be competive with price but I can't compete on price. If I did I would have to work a second job to be able to afford to take other people's portraits. Those that compete with price are racing to the bottom and can't actually keep their business going.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2016
    Spence wrote: »
    Good Afternoon All
    I am new to the DG page and wanted to say Hello. I have a question on selling photos on SM - that is for a beginner what is a good mark up percentage. The 400% seems a bit high
    Thanks
    Spence

Pricing art, photography can be a very complex process. Actually harder than sorting out a can of worms by length and width. :D

I would consider a standard percentage mark up as not a viable pricing strategy.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2016
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Depends on perspective. 400% markup on a 4x6 isn't much, one on a canvas is. I don't like percentage of markups and here is why. I spend as much time editing a 4x6 as a 8x10. I don't think in terms of selling a piece of paper but an image. I price to be in line with my local market but also make it worth my time.

If someone asks why is my price $30 for an 8x10 when they can get it for $1 at Walmart I explain they can get a 8x10 at Walmart but not with the pic of their family on it. If they want a 1$ print at Walmart then they can buy the digital version and make all the prints they want.

Look at your local market and price accordingly. If you undercut the market then you need to find ways to be profitable. When I started out I was cheap and didn't actually make money after taking into consideration my time, equipment and experience. I try to be competive with price but I can't compete on price. If I did I would have to work a second job to be able to afford to take other people's portraits. Those that compete with price are racing to the bottom and can't actually keep their business going.

Thanks John - This is a hobby for me only that I have been in and out of over the years and I am currently back working on it. I recently discovered SM and that has rekindled my interest. If you have a moment I would appreciate any comments pro/con on my pictures/site. SpencerRice.smugmug.com
    Best Regards
    Spence
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited February 27, 2016
    If you have a moment I would appreciate any comments pro/con on my pictures/site. SpencerRice.smugmug.com
    I was a bit surprised to find that you have limited the viewing size to Medium. Do you not want viewers to enjoy your photos?

Currently you are only showing 2 galleries; the gallery titled Kalitta only contains a single photo with a big "proof" watermark across it. I have no problem with reasonable watermarks but if a watermark obstructs my view of the photos (and this one does) I usually simply close the site. If you want to use a watermark then you should design one that works for both you and your potential viewers.

Your original question was about pricing. Please be aware that pricing your photos and making them available via a web site does not drive sales. In order to sell photos online you must drive buyers to your site, and once the potential buyers are on your site you must have photos that entice them to buy.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    I was a bit surprised to find that you have limited the viewing size to Medium. Do you not want viewers to enjoy your photos?

Currently you are only showing 2 galleries; the gallery titled Kalitta only contains a single photo with a big "proof" watermark across it. I have no problem with reasonable watermarks but if a watermark obstructs my view of the photos (and this one does) I usually simply close the site. If you want to use a watermark then you should design one that works for both you and your potential viewers.

Your original question was about pricing. Please be aware that pricing your photos and making them available via a web site does not drive sales. In order to sell photos online you must drive buyers to your site, and once the potential buyers are on your site you must have photos that entice them to buy.

--- Denise
    Thank you Denise - I am still learning the SM ins and outs and will go back to the watermark area. Obviously I did it wrong. Thought the medium setting was the correct one - do you recommend large?
    Best Regards
    Spence
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited February 28, 2016
    Thank you Denise - I am still learning the SM ins and outs and will go back to the watermark area. Obviously I did it wrong. Thought the medium setting was the correct one - do you recommend large?
    I recommend as large as you are comfortable with. Do not allow access to your Originals; any size smaller than that is fine. I have my display size set to X3Large.

Keep in mind that your viewers will be using all sizes of devices, from phones to large screen monitors.

--- Denise