Which small camera for indoor family shots?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited May 24, 2015 in Cameras
Hi All,

My wife and I are expecting and I figured I need a new camera so that wife can take pictures of the baby and as she grows.

My wife is not into cameras....she is happy with cell phone pics and is not technically inclined. She just likes to point ...and shoot. :scratch

Anyways...I came across the review of Fuji x100s from Ken Rockwell and how he loves it cause on Auto it can handle a lot of different scenarios that we typically encounter in everyday living.

My question is...is this that good? Should I be looking at a different setup?

I want a camera (fixed lens is fine) that is small / portable / built-in-flash that does an awesome job as fill / can handle a diverse situations on auto and Jpegs looks amazing SOOC / high ISO since most of the shots will be indoors with low light.

I see the X20 but am not sure how that compares to x100s. X30 is coming out and that looks interesting and budget friendly...but is not as small and is smaller sensor.

Appreciate your thoughts
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    Hi WildViper,

I'm loving my X100S for family photos, and I mostly agree with what KR says about it. (No, it cannot compete with my 5D3 at 100% view, but that rarely matters.) If you and/or your wife are used to taking photos with an iPhone, the 35mm effective focal length will feel right at home. The image quality is great, but more to the point the JPEGs are great straight out of the camera with no editing, even if you use the flash. The only things it doesn't do well is tight portraits, sports, or anything AF intensive. If you demand instant AF, or tracking AF, you simply need a DSLR. The X100S isn't a very small camera, but it fits into a jacket pocket, loose pants pocket, or a purse pretty easily. I carried mine all over Disney in my shorts and never wished for more, other than maybe the 28mm adapter a few times. I was chuckling to myself at the poor saps carrying camera bags or DSLRs around their necks. If you want something even smaller and more portable, which can also do portraits better, take a hard look at the Sony RX100 Mark III. If you think you might want the AF and lens options of a DSLR, you should get one, and then the RX100-III would make a more economical portable backup for a DSLR.

Here's some of my X100S shots:

DSCF3602-X2.jpg

DSCF3654-X2.jpg

DSCF3597-X2.jpg

DSCF3631-X2.jpg

pretty extreme fill flash:
    DSCF3731-X2.jpg

DSCF3870-X2.jpg

DSCF2190-X2.jpg

DSCF1874-X2.jpg

DSCF1932-X2.jpg

DSCF0061-X2.jpg

better fill flash:
    DSCF0237-X2.jpg

ISO 3200 (pretty crummy light):
    DSCF0164-X2.jpg

ISO 6400 (even crummier light, in line at Space Mountain)
    DSCF0135-X2.jpg

DSCF0183-X2.jpg

ISO 1600:
    DSCF0196-X2.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Thank you so much for such a detailed answer with examples. Love all the shots. I think this will be my next camera. I will check out the sony you mentioned too.

Question about your photos...are u usually adjusting the camera or pretty much nails it on auto everything?

Anand

Hi WildViper,

I'm loving my X100S for family photos, and I mostly agree with what KR says about it. (No, it cannot compete with my 5D3 at 100% view, but that rarely matters.) If you and/or your wife are used to taking photos with an iPhone, the 35mm effective focal length will feel right at home. The image quality is great, but more to the point the JPEGs are great straight out of the camera with no editing, even if you use the flash. The only things it doesn't do well is tight portraits, sports, or anything AF intensive. If you demand instant AF, or tracking AF, you simply need a DSLR. The X100S isn't a very small camera, but it fits into a jacket pocket, loose pants pocket, or a purse pretty easily. I carried mine all over Disney in my shorts and never wished for more, other than maybe the 28mm adapter a few times. I was chuckling to myself at the poor saps carrying camera bags or DSLRs around their necks. If you want something even smaller and more portable, which can also do portraits better, take a hard look at the Sony RX100 Mark III. If you think you might want the AF and lens options of a DSLR, you should get one, and then the RX100-III would make a more economical portable backup for a DSLR.

Here's some of my X100S shots:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
    edited September 9, 2014
    You're welcome. Personally I normally don't use any camera on full auto, other than my iPhone. Usually I will choose ISO and aperture and let the camera figure out the shutter speed. I'll adjust ISO and aperture in order for the camera to choose a suitable shutter speed. I'll use Exposure Compensation if the light is challenging for the camera or to get the look I want. This is still semi-automatic, and occasionally I'll shoot full auto if I'm feeling lazy, and yeah the X100S usually nails it.

However with a newborn/infant/toddler, I think you're going to want some portraits. You can stick the X100S right in someone's face to get a tight portrait, but that's not a good way for several reasons, like distortion, and the invasion of space. So you should really also consider the RX100-III. Another similar idea is the Canon G1X-II, but it's a bit bigger. Also there is a rumored Panasonic LX100 that sounds exciting.

Whatever you do, you should hold these cameras in your hands and try them side by side, and have your wife do the same, before buying. If you can't find the X100S locally, order from B&H or somewhere with a 30 day return policy, and then conduct an in-person comparison.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    wildviper wrote: »
    Hi All,

My wife and I are expecting and I figured I need a new camera so that wife can take pictures of the baby and as she grows.

My wife is not into cameras....she is happy with cell phone pics and is not technically inclined. She just likes to point ...and shoot. headscratch.gif

Anyways...I came across the review of Fuji x100s from Ken Rockwell and how he loves it cause on Auto it can handle a lot of different scenarios that we typically encounter in everyday living.

I want a camera (fixed lens is fine) that is small / portable / built-in-flash that does an awesome job as fill / can handle a diverse situations on auto and Jpegs looks amazing SOOC / high ISO since most of the shots will be indoors with low light.

I see the X20 but am not sure how that compares to x100s. X30 is coming out and that looks interesting and budget friendly...but is not as small and is smaller sensor.

Appreciate your thoughts

Congrats on the bun in the oven!

I think the x100s is overkill for your wife.

I use the Nikon 1 AW1. It probably doesn't fit the "small" camera lineup but I think its versatility outweighs its size. Your wife should be able to use it with ease as there is auto mode. The camera is as tough as a camera can get and it's water/underwater proof...huge bonuses there for everyday living. The flash is serviceable. Jpegs sooc are decent (also shoots RAW).
    edited September 11, 2014
    Robert, thanx for your input. I checked out Nikon 1 AW1. Seems like a great camera. Not sure if it will be right fit for my wife though. I need a camera for her that just takes awesome pictures in any lighting condition with no to very minimal fuss. The Fuji seems to nail exposure and handle low-light as well as white balance very well.

There is something to be said for such cameras. While a majority of cameras these days are great in picture quality, only select few can give you this without much input from the end user. That is what I am in search off and by looking at the photos above of Jack and numerous others, it seems that Fuji comes close to that holy grail! (at least for me).

I looked a Sony one too..someone else had suggested this...but again, the ease of use and nailing of the exposure is a tough cookie to crack. I really do like the AW1 for its rugged and underwater features...so it is not totally out...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • DeborahLDeborahL Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2014
    Hi All,

My wife is not into cameras....she is happy with cell phone pics and is not technically inclined. She just likes to point ...and shoot. headscratch.gif

Appreciate your thoughts

Hi, wildviper,
    I have a question: does your wife want a camera? You say she is happy with her cell phone and is not interested in cameras or technically inclined, yet you say in your first sentence that you want a new camera so that SHE can take pictures of the baby. Trust me on this (I am the MOM in my family picture): you will get a LOT more pictures of the baby if your wife does what she is comfortable doing: snapping a picture with her phone and posting it immediately to FB or to the grandparents, or to you, for that matter, if you are not there when those great milestone moments occur. If you want a camera for YOU to use, get whatever makes you happy, but don't expect your wife to use it.
    edited September 15, 2014
    DeborahL wrote: »
    Hi, wildviper,
    I have a question: does your wife want a camera? You say she is happy with her cell phone and is not interested in cameras or technically inclined, yet you say in your first sentence that you want a new camera so that SHE can take pictures of the baby. Trust me on this (I am the MOM in my family picture): you will get a LOT more pictures of the baby if your wife does what she is comfortable doing: snapping a picture with her phone and posting it immediately to FB or to the grandparents, or to you, for that matter, if you are not there when those great milestone moments occur. If you want a camera for YOU to use, get whatever makes you happy, but don't expect your wife to use it.

Its strange I know. But the main reason is that I want her to take photos that are pro quality (not composition and such but resolution, color, noise and bokeh). The phones these days are great..but for outdoors. Once you go in a low-light environment, they all struggle. I tested the Galaxy S5 and iphone 5s. Not good according to my tastes.

From my research, it appears that Fuji is pretty good at handling different light levels and has a great dynamic range. And the flash appears to be amazing..blending in seamlessly. (At least that is what i Have read so far).

If it is a small package, I know she will use it.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • DeborahLDeborahL Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2014
    Its strange I know. But the main reason is that I want her to take photos that are pro quality (not composition and such but resolution, color, noise and bokeh). The phones these days are great..but for outdoors. Once you go in a low-light environment, they all struggle. I tested the Galaxy S5 and iphone 5s. Not good according to my tastes.

From my research, it appears that Fuji is pretty good at handling different light levels and has a great dynamic range. And the flash appears to be amazing..blending in seamlessly. (At least that is what i Have read so far).

If it is a small package, I know she will use it.

Small is good. Definitely good. My husband snaps happily away with his point and shoot while I lug around my DSLR and obsess about lenses and settings...or forget a critical component of the DSLR - like the battery or a memory card. About a year ago, I was forced to use my ancient iPhone 3GS to take pictures on the last night of an outdoor after-dark Chihuly exhibit. I actually got some pretty decent shots of it. I had my DSLR with me, but had forgotten to take the battery out of the charger!.

That said, the shots that my husband took with his point and shoot were much better. Bottom line is, the best camera that you own is the one that you have with you and can/will use. With a new baby, my personal opinion is that the critical camera elements are easy to carry, easy to use, and perhaps WiFi enabled.

Congratulations by the way! Don't forget to tag and catalogue from the get-go! No matter what camera you use, you are going to have a zillion photos :-)
    edited September 16, 2014
    Definitely have her handle these cameras in person. She very well may not consider the X100S to be small enough. To get any smaller, you're going to have to accept a compromise in sensor size, which means deeper DOF and less blurred backgrounds. Still, the Sony RX100-III and now the Canon G7X are better than typical point-n-shoots, as they have the larger 1" sensor.
    -Jack

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    I was blown away by my Sony RX100II. I just lost it to a salt-water splash and am awaiting delivery on a Canon G7x.

I can't abide the 24 - 70 equivalent range of the newer cameras (Panasonic, Sony). The RX100II has a 28 - 100 and the G7x has a 24 - 100. The Sony has a remarkable feature in that the flash bounces. It sounds as though your wife may not take advantage of that, though.

The G7x, as yet untested, seems to offer the greatest complement of features in a tiny package with a 1 inch sensor. Max aperture is also really impressive throughout the zoom range.

I've never handled one of the Fujis—not interested in the fixed lens—but they seem to be very impressive imaging devices.

Good luck with your decision.

DSC00017-X2.jpg

Photo above at 88mm equivalent, f/4.5, ISO 1600, flash bounced into a 12-foot white ceiling.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
    That shot is a nice testimony for the 1" sensor. 1600, wow. I'm really loving the looks of the G7x. Clearly the best spec'd compact ever. I wish I could justify buying one, but I'd feel like I was cheating on my X100S.
    -Jack

• trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    With the new camera on iPhone 6 and particularly the iPhone 6 plus, I would give the iPhones a serious consideration.

Engadget sample 6 plus photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/phonewisdom/sets/72157647661358346/

Engaget sample 6 photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/phonewisdom/sets/72157647302140369/
  • ABS34ABS34 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2014
    Have you looked @ a LUMIX FZ1000 which shoots a 4K video from which you can take stills during or after the video......:) (one of the best ways to shoot movement for that
    SPECIAL shot) Sport shooters have to anticipate a certain movement and many times are disappointed at the results @ wedding & sporting events.
    It has both an electronic and mechanical shutter and f/2.8-4 24-420mm zoom.

It has a similar sized sensor as the Canon, check reviews and Utube also........ you MAY be surprised @ this Leica offspring
  • HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2015
    Fz1000
    ABS34 wrote: »
    Have you looked @ a LUMIX FZ1000 which shoots a 4K video from which you can take stills during or after the video......:) (one of the best ways to shoot movement for that
    SPECIAL shot) Sport shooters have to anticipate a certain movement and many times are disappointed at the results @ wedding & sporting events.
    It has both an electronic and mechanical shutter and f/2.8-4 24-420mm zoom.

It has a similar sized sensor as the Canon, check reviews and Utube also........ you MAY be surprised @ this Leica offspring

I know this is waaaaay late, but I recently purchased an FZ1000 and it is fantastic. So good, in fact, I have put my 60D and all my lens on Craigs list. (search DC area, "Canon Equipment"). I'm a pixel peeper and at 100% the images from this camera rival those of the 60D. I've not given the 4K video a workout yet but did do one frame-grab of my motorcycle at 1600mm (35mm equiv) and for that range, it was acceptable. Tag almost filled the frame and was very legible. You can see other shots (by enthusiasts, not Panasonic) on Flickr at "https://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-fz1000/pool/" Another nice thing is the fact that the video works like a video camera, meaning no follow-focus problems. Just point and shoot.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2015
    Hi All,

Appreciate your thoughts

I like my Canon S95.
    If you're looking for a small camera that has quality photos, quick start up and easy to use then that is the best option.
  • catnipcatnip New member Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2015
    Lovely post and guilty party here re: wanting to point and shoot and post on Facebook!

Question: Do I need separate cameras for indoor and outdoor (family) photography? Appreciate your suggestions. Do the recommendations above still stand? Thanks, guys.
  • chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    I don't think it's necessary. But for outdoor photography better use more powerful camera.