Camera Firmware Update Discussion Links

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
edited October 1, 2016 in Cameras
This sticky will have links to other threads relating to camera firmware updates. Those separate threads should be maintained for future update information.

Understand that these may not be the most recent updates so you are encouraged to check the manufacturer's sites for the latest versions and other important information relating to your camera.

General Manufacturer Update Links (Thanks to Nick "bandgeekndb")

Nikon
Canon
Olympus
Pentax
Sony

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Question, when I subscribe to this thread, will I be notified when your post gets edited/updated?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 7, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Question, when I subscribe to this thread, will I be notified when your post gets edited/updated?

I don't think notifications are issued until posts are "added". I would only do that myself for updates that I consider "critical" for some reason.

I would not be opposed if someone else wants to post here for non-critical updates as they are added.

I do want to encourage the "discussion" of updated firmware in other threads however. If anyone wants to start a new thread regarding a new firmware update and then post a single entry also in this thread that would be perfect.
    ziggy53
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thanks for the 7D link - I updated my firmware today.
  • tonyacopelandtonyacopeland Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2009
    Re:
    Thank you for providing these links! It is greatly appreciated.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Ok, I have a really retarded question . . . what exactly is "firmware" and how do you go about updating it and why is this important. I'm assuming it's like updating software on your computer? Just not sure what purpose it serves in relation to cameras. Please bear with me . . I've only been on the digital side of things for a year. headscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    GoofBckt wrote: »
    Ok, I have a really retarded question . . . what exactly is "firmware" and how do you go about updating it and why is this important. I'm assuming it's like updating software on your computer? Just not sure what purpose it serves in relation to cameras. Please bear with me . . I've only been on the digital side of things for a year. headscratch.gif

Your exact camera is?
    edited May 23, 2010
    Sorry . . . I have a Rebel XS and a 40D.
    Andy wrote: »
    Your exact camera is?
    edited May 23, 2010
    "Firmware" is a type of non-volatile and persistent software for the camera. Updated firmware can correct problems and/or add utility to a camera.

The first thing you should do is learn how to determine your existing firmware version. This differs from manufacturer to manufacturer and even model to model. For links to the manufacturer sites please look at the first post in this thread and the links provided by Nick "bandgeekndb".

Once you know your current firmware version you should look up the available update downloads and see what improvements or corrections are available. If the improvements don't matter to you, (a language correction for a language that you do not use, for instance), then you may consider the firmware upgrade optional and unnecessary.

If a firmware upgrade is available to you and it has enhancements or corrections you feel would be beneficial, then follow the manufacturer's instructions for download and loading the new firmware. This generally involves loading the firmware file onto a memory card but follow the manufacturer instructions carefully for the exact process needed for your camera.

A major point is to use a fully charged battery in the camera for the update because if the battery should fail in the middle of the firmware update the camera may become unusable (and may require expensive service to repair.)
    ziggy53
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Go here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

Choose 1. EOS (SLR) Camera Systems, 2. Digital EOS Cameras, and 3. your model. Whether you need a firmware update depends on whether you have the latest or not.

On your 40D, hit Menu, then, starting at the first Icon, scroll over to the 7th (3rd yellow wrench). Your firmware version is listed.

Something similar for your other camera I suspect.

edit: important note about Canon website: when you get to the Camera downloads site...do NOT select an OS (Mac, Windows, etc). If you select an OS, you will not see the camera firmware. [Canon can be such idiots]
    edited May 24, 2010
    Thanks so much for all this great information. It never ceases to amaze me how knowledge and helpful you all are here. I never received any reply notifications on this thread so I'm sorry if it seemed like I disappeared. Thanks again. :D
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    "Firmware" is a type of non-volatile and persistent software for the camera. Updated firmware can correct problems and/or add utility to a camera.

The first thing you should do is learn how to determine your existing firmware version. This differs from manufacturer to manufacturer and even model to model. For links to the manufacturer sites please look at the first post in this thread and the links provided by Nick "bandgeekndb".

Once you know your current firmware version you should look up the available update downloads and see what improvements or corrections are available. If the improvements don't matter to you, (a language correction for a language that you do not use, for instance), then you may consider the firmware upgrade optional and unnecessary.

If a firmware upgrade is available to you and it has enhancements or corrections you feel would be beneficial, then follow the manufacturer's instructions for download and loading the new firmware. This generally involves loading the firmware file onto a memory card but follow the manufacturer instructions carefully for the exact process needed for your camera.

A major point is to use a fully charged battery in the camera for the update because if the battery should fail in the middle of the firmware update the camera may become unusable (and may require expensive service to repair.)
  • furahfurah Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2011
    I like the link, it has helped me a lot. Appreciated
  • jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Curious why this topic is no longer a "sticky"?
    edited April 30, 2012
    jm94085 wrote: »
    Curious why this topic is no longer a "sticky"?

We have a policy to try to keep active discussion threads visible as long as possible, as this is a discussion site. This sticky thread just wasn't getting any traffic, so I made the decision, after discussing with the other mods and admins, to remove this as a sticky.
    ziggy53
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    In which case it should go in a "references" section somewhere. This is valuable information which people will need from time to time, and it's not going to see much traffic unless a manuf releases new firmware.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
    edited May 22, 2013
    I re-stickied this thread. Please remember that this is just a handy reference to link to firmware discussions, as well as links to the manufacturers' and their respective firmware pages.

Firmware discussions should go in their own threads, as before.
    ziggy53
    edited May 22, 2013
    For those with a subscription to this thread, I'll be adding a fresh page to the thread each time I modify the links (i.e. when I add a new link to a firmware discussion.) You should get a notification with each additional post.
    ziggy53
    edited May 22, 2013
    [thread=234313]Canon 5D3 firmware update ver 1.2.1[/thread]
    ziggy53
    edited May 22, 2013
    [thread=234909]Nikon D300s firmware update ver A/B 1.02[/thread]
    ziggy53