70D poor focus

jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited July 19, 2015 in Cameras
Hi folks , my 70D doesn't seem to be consistently focusing (auto focus ) using a 70-200mm L non iS and a 24-105mm L .The subject looks dead on in view finder ,the focus indicators light up good where I want and image looks off way more often than not. My t2i blows it away for consistently focusing !

any suggestions ?

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2015
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    Hi folks , my 70D doesn't seem to be consistently focusing (auto focus ) using a 70-200mm L non iS and a 24-105mm L .The subject looks dead on in view finder ,the focus indicators light up good where I want and image looks off way more often than not. My t2i blows it away for consistently focusing !

any suggestions ?

post a pic (with EXIF data)

are you selecting one AF focus point?
  • jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2015
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    post a pic (with EXIF data)

are you selecting one AF focus point?
    pix later no- zone focus funny thing tonight is I used auto focus and then manually to the best of my ability and still got very soft results (with the focus indicator locked on ) headscratch.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2015
    Try a shot with live view and see if it turns out ok.
    You say the lens works well on your other camera, live view should bring out the best also.
    At that point you may need to look into adjusting the focusing of that lens for the 70D through MFA.
    If you're not sure what MFA is, do a search on You Tube and it will become clear.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited July 5, 2015
    will try
    thx
  • BegatherBegather Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2015
    Hi folks, my 70D doesn't seem to be consistently focusing (auto focus ) using a 70-200mm L non-iS and a 24-105mm L.The subject looks dead on in view finder, the focus indicators light up good where I want and the image looks off way more often than not. My t2i blows it away for consistently focusing!

any suggestions?
    best baby strollers
    Top 100 Songs
    best gas grill

The simple solution is to quit using the camera rolleyes1.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 6, 2015
    ^ Um, not a very helpful first-ever post. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AlamethAlameth Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2015

any suggestions ?

As others have suggested, some examples with EXIF data will be helpful.

I've been using my Canon 70D with a 70-200mm L IS, and with the Canon 28-135mm, 17-55mm, and 10-22mm, and consistently found the focus with the 70-200mm to be razor sharp, closely followed by the 28-135mm. I'm tempted to call it idiot proof, because even when I've handed the camera off to other people, the images were excellent. Only when I gone wide angle (10mm to 17mm) have I run into trouble, but then I found the 70D to be very noticeably better than my 40D. Note that I never use live view with the 70-200 lens, although I've found it to be very helpful with the wide angle lenses.

How old is the lens? When is the last time you had it serviced? Have you checked the electrical contacts on both the 70D and the lens? It's been my experience that the 70-200mm does need to be serviced every few years, depending on how rough you are with it; but since it works nicely with your t2i, the lens probably isn't the problem?
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2015
    If it's the older version of the 70-200 f/2.8, check to see of the front ring has any wiggle to it. This is a known problem with these lenses and will selectively give soft images. I know that my old 70-200 had this repaired multiple times, and the soft images appeared more often when using a 1D4 body than on an X, but it still happened on the X bodies as well, so I sold it for the new version. (In general, I thought the older 70-200 f/2.8 was a very mediocre lens. The new version is much better.)

The other thing I have found with this lens is that it doesn't work so well using zone focus. Not sure why--and I rarely use zone focusing--but even with the newer version on an X I still get way too many soft images if shooting with zone focusing. I only use single AF point focus now.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2015
    70D has very similar if not the same AF as the old 7D, which was problematic. Many had to send their 7D's in to Canon for calibration, including me. Mine came back with improved AF, but it still didn't quite live up to the hype. The 7D2 on the other hand AFs like a pro. Maybe you just need to MFA your lenses, but failing that, send it in. They had mine back in my hands in 7 days.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2015
    More then likely the problem is with the lens not the camera. I had the same problem with an older Canon lens. It was examined and serviced by an authorized Canon Dealer and came back like a brand new lens. Take it to someone who has the experience and knowledge to repair the lens.
    edited July 19, 2015
    Thanks for the reply's of course I have had no time to try anything other than trying shooting individuals with a ball team with live view .it was spot on every shot ,but I really do not like using the screen ,especially on a sunny day . I will get to the above suggestions and I appreciate your input