WILDLIFE Photography

aphoto4youaphoto4you Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited July 7, 2007 in Wildlife
I been on Smugmug two years and i never realy posted or visited this forum....To busy shooting wildlife lol......Now that is not true...lol...I was landscape photographer all my life ...but just recently i developed lust for wildlife...I have seen lots of great WILDLIFE photography...and would like to hear from PRO's what kind a lenses are realy practical for great wildlife photography.....I use nikon D2x,D200 and D70 and have various lenses...my largest wildlfe lens is 300 mm...I am in the market to buy better lens sometime in near future....What would you suggest?????????????that will last for a while and wouldnt need to spend money again next year...lol ...:ivar Thank you
:rofl Ask Questions and dont question Answers

Comments

• Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Welcome!

I think you're on the correct forum. On the very top on this forum is a "Sticky" posted that likely answer you questions in great detail.

Have fun!

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • aphoto4youaphoto4you Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    I hope so...
    I hope so....thank u so much.....:)i just dont know this system very well...as i dont visit here often...Okay now i hope i get my answer...:)lol
    Welcome!

I think you're on the correct forum. On the very top on this forum is a "Sticky" posted that likely answer you questions in great detail.

Have fun!

Dick.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    aphoto4you wrote:
    I been on Smugmug two years and i never realy posted or visited this forum....To busy shooting wildlife lol......Now that is not true...lol...I was landscape photographer all my life ...but just recently i developed lust for wildlife...I have seen lots of great WILDLIFE photography...and would like to hear from PRO's what kind a lenses are realy practical for great wildlife photography.....I use nikon D2x,D200 and D70 and have various lenses...my largest wildlfe lens is 300 mm...I am in the market to buy better lens sometime in near future....What would you suggest?????????????that will last for a while and wouldnt need to spend money again next year...lol ...:ivar Thank you

How much were you intending to spend for glass?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited July 6, 2007
    Dollars for loupe
    Hi Harryne_nau.gif
    Anywhere from $5000 to $7000
    ..............what can i get for that money and to last me for a while...that is steep price to pay...I ike to go as high as i ca as far as mm lens go...it will e used strictly for wildlife and i dont wanna us TC with it....Should i buy larger lens ad USED for that oney or should i buy lower lens NEW????????????It would e appreciated tre feelings on this ..deal.gif
    Harryb wrote:
    How much were you intending to spend for glass?
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    I don't want to draw attention from that excellent sticky but with that much dough, you can set yourself up very nicely.

I'm not a Nikonian so I really can't suggest lenses, but I would try to get a very nice zoom telephoto as I find these good for BIFs and then a nice prime. Depending on what you shoot, you could definitely get a nice 400mm-500mm prime and still have money for the zoom telephoto and then you would have quite a range of lengths covered. Don't forget to invest in a good tripod and gimbal head which could run another $1,000.00 USD.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    aphoto4you wrote:
    Hi Harryne_nau.gif
    Anywhere from $5000 to $7000
    ..............what can i get for that money and to last me for a while...that is steep price to pay...I ike to go as high as i ca as far as mm lens go...it will e used strictly for wildlife and i dont wanna us TC with it....Should i buy larger lens ad USED for that oney or should i buy lower lens NEW????????????It would e appreciated tre feelings on this ..deal.gif

With that budget you won't have a problem getting a super lens. Used lenses can be a great buy but for a high priced item like this I would want to know the seller. I bought my 500mm used but it was from someone I lnew and had shot with previously.

I wouldn't rule out using TCs with the lens. I ue the 1.4 and 1.7 TCs on my primes with excellent results.

In your price range you have some fine choices. The big 3 in your price range (I'm excluding the 600mm which goes for $9K) are the 200-400 F/4 VR $5100, the 400 F2.8 $7,000 and the 500 f/4 $7200.

The absolute best lens, IMHO, is the 400 2.8. It has the best IQ and the fastest AF of the 3. You can slap on a 1.4 TC with almost no loss of IQ or focusing speed. Its biggest drawback is its weight of 9.7 lbs. This is one lens that has to be married to a sturdy tripod.

My preference is the 500mm F/4, while it weighs 7.6 lbs that's 2 lbs lighter than the 400 2.8 which makes a big, big difference when you are lugging it around all day. It was terrific IQ and does very well wide open. I have had great success using the 1.4 TC with it and the 1.7 TC does a fine job on stationary subjects.

I have never used the 200-400 but I know lots of folks who love it. I also know a number of shooters who had it and who sold it to get the 300 2.8, the 400 2.8 or the 500 F4. Its biggest advantage is the flexability of being a zoom and the VR.

Any one of the three will do a fine job the choice comes down to your personal preferences and shooting style.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited July 7, 2007
    zoom lenses vs telephoto
    Hi Stephen....
    Thank u for trying to help me...I have heard that zoom lenses vs telephoto fixed lenses are not that sharp?????????? someone told me i am better off buying straight 500 mm..i dont know if that is true.....i will shoot wildlife... with it....what i realy wish to know should i go for larger then 500 mm .........

Thanks again
    Maestro wrote:
    I don't want to draw attention from that excellent sticky but with that much dough, you can set yourself up very nicely.

I'm not a Nikonian so I really can't suggest lenses, but I would try to get a very nice zoom telephoto as I find these good for BIFs and then a nice prime. Depending on what you shoot, you could definitely get a nice 400mm-500mm prime and still have money for the zoom telephoto and then you would have quite a range of lengths covered. Don't forget to invest in a good tripod and gimbal head which could run another $1,000.00 USD.
    edited July 7, 2007
    Tc
    Thanks Harry...
    Some of the photos i have seen in your thread.....did u use TC? they seem extra sharp....and yes i was suggested to get TC 1.7.....on my 300 mm...so i am very confused now.....My lens 300 mm i love it...i just love it...and use it a lots.....I truly love some photos i have seen here .....sharp and awsome...
    Harryb wrote:
    With that budget you won't have a problem getting a super lens. Used lenses can be a great buy but for a high priced item like this I would want to know the seller. I bought my 500mm used but it was from someone I lnew and had shot with previously.

I wouldn't rule out using TCs with the lens. I ue the 1.4 and 1.7 TCs on my primes with excellent results.

In your price range you have some fine choices. The big 3 in your price range (I'm excluding the 600mm which goes for $9K) are the 200-400 F/4 VR $5100, the 400 F2.8 $7,000 and the 500 f/4 $7200.

The absolute best lens, IMHO, is the 400 2.8. It has the best IQ and the fastest AF of the 3. You can slap on a 1.4 TC with almost no loss of IQ or focusing speed. Its biggest drawback is its weight of 9.7 lbs. This is one lens that has to be married to a sturdy tripod.

My preference is the 500mm F/4, while it weighs 7.6 lbs that's 2 lbs lighter than the 400 2.8 which makes a big, big difference when you are lugging it around all day. It was terrific IQ and does very well wide open. I have had great success using the 1.4 TC with it and the 1.7 TC does a fine job on stationary subjects.

I have never used the 200-400 but I know lots of folks who love it. I also know a number of shooters who had it and who sold it to get the 300 2.8, the 400 2.8 or the 500 F4. Its biggest advantage is the flexability of being a zoom and the VR.

Any one of the three will do a fine job the choice comes down to your personal preferences and shooting style.