First Vid with 7D, Audio & Vid don't sync

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited September 8, 2010 in Video
I'm just practicing video for the first time on my 7D. During playback on my computer with QuickTime, the talking isn't in sync with the video. Is that a camera setting or a QuickTime issue? Thanks

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    I've done a numbe of videos with my 7D and audio sync was not an issue. There are no special settings you have to choose to sync up the audio.

If you record the audio separately, i.e. with an audio recorder instead of the camera, then of course you have to sync things up. I haven't recorded audio separatly but I know quite a few others have and the have been able to, with the appropriate editing tools, get the separate audio track in sync with the video. There is a lot of discussion about doing this in Cinema5D.com... but this technique is not for the faint of heart:D

Maybe it's a playback issue on your machine. Can you post a link to it so some of us can try it and see if we the audio sync issue too?

GoofBckt wrote: »
    I'm just practicing video for the first time on my 7D. During playback on my computer with QuickTime, the talking isn't in sync with the video. Is that a camera setting or a QuickTime issue? Thanks
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    I can't get it to upload. :(

Dan7312 wrote: »
    I've done a numbe of videos with my 7D and audio sync was not an issue. There are no special settings you have to choose to sync up the audio.

If you record the audio separately, i.e. with an audio recorder instead of the camera, then of course you have to sync things up. I haven't recorded audio separatly but I know quite a few others have and the have been able to, with the appropriate editing tools, get the separate audio track in sync with the video. There is a lot of discussion about doing this in Cinema5D.com... but this technique is not for the faint of heart:D

Maybe it's a playback issue on your machine. Can you post a link to it so some of us can try it and see if we the audio sync issue too?
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    The 7D includes and AV cable, it has a red, white and yellow connectors on it. You can use this to playback the vid on your TV, it if has the right connections. Look on page 176 in the 7D manual for the details, but basically you just match up the colors on the connections.

There is also an HDMI cable you can get if your TV has an HDMI input, but it's optional and doesn't come with the camera so you have to order it separately.

If the audio is sync'd up properly on you TV that means at least the vid is ok.
    GoofBckt wrote: »
    I can't get it to upload. :(
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Hey thanks!! I didn't even think of trying it that way. :)
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The 7D includes and AV cable, it has a red, white and yellow connectors on it. You can use this to playback the vid on your TV, it if has the right connections. Look on page 176 in the 7D manual for the details, but basically you just match up the colors on the connections.

There is also an HDMI cable you can get if your TV has an HDMI input, but it's optional and doesn't come with the camera so you have to order it separately.

If the audio is sync'd up properly on you TV that means at least the vid is ok.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Another consideration ... what type of computer?

If it's a Windows machine, well, until I upgraded to a significantly more powerful workhorse of a computer (Win7, Core i7 with 9gb memory, and a "gamer's" video card), I experienced the same loss of synch. Now, no problems. You need a fast machine with appropriate and fast video card and memory to move all those bytes fast enough when using the rather inefficient Windows OS.

An iMac should handle it with no problems ... at least I experienced none doing video editing with 5dMkII video files on a couple different fairly basic 2-to-3-year-old ones.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.