Options

Headshot C&C

AlexHopesPhotographyAlexHopesPhotography Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 18, 2014 in People
Hey all,

New to the forum and struggling to find proper advice on this new avenue I've entered. I'm working on getting into more studio photography, portraits/headshots and eventually commercial work.

I've attached several images from shoots this month and I'd like a trained eye's perspective on things. I want to withhold one piece of information until after you look at the images so that you have a unbaised opinion of the images!

I'll include that info below!

Thanks in advance, Alex.

agatta%20pose-L.jpg

Erin%20Headshots-L.jpg

Erin%20Headshots-5-L.jpg

Erin%20Headshots-2-L.jpg

agatta_3-L.jpg

portraits-L.jpg

portraits-2-L.jpg

portraits-4-L.jpg

Sooooooo..... the last piece of information, is that I am clorblind. It makes working with tones incredibly difficult. I am hoping to get feed back on color tones, retouching, and lighting. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2014
    I can't help you on the colorblind dept because I am too. I do like your style and technique, especially the use of a second back light.
  • Options
    AlexHopesPhotographyAlexHopesPhotography Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I can't help you on the colorblind dept because I am too. I do like your style and technique, especially the use of a second back light.

Thanks man! The struggle is real.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2014
    Can't comment on headshots really without knowing the PURPOSE of them. Actor? Model? Businessman? LinkedIn? Since a headshot is, effectilvely, a personal promotion tool, knowing the intended use really important to commenting :)

And welcome!! wave.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 15, 2014
    Welcome to Dgrin, Alex. I'll play.

1 Love the lighting and skin tones in this! Great mood. The knee cap at the chin is a deal breaker for me though.
    2 Technically good, the pose and bland expression do nothing for me.
    3 Great example of short-lighting. Too much rotation on the eyes, though. You want to leave at least a bit of white around the iris.
    4 Perfect
    5 Same nit as #3, eyes in contact with eye socket is not a good look.
    6 Way too hot with blown skin tones. That's a very feminine pose with that head tilt and raised arm. Also, by shooting down at him, you've elongated his nose.
    7 Pretty solid, but looks a bit hot as well
    8 Looks good. Color balance seems different than 7 which is the same guy at the same location, right? It's always helpful to synchronize WB on similar shots like this so you get good consistency.

Overall, your skin tones are looking good. Seems like you're off to a good start.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Welcome to Dgrin, Alex. I'll play.

1 Love the lighting and skin tones in this! Great mood. The knee cap at the chin is a deal breaker for me though.
    2 Technically good, the pose and bland expression do nothing for me.
    3 Great example of short-lighting. Too much rotation on the eyes, though. You want to leave at least a bit of white around the iris.
    4 Perfect
    5 Same nit as #3, eyes in contact with eye socket is not a good look.
    6 Way too hot with blown skin tones. That's a very feminine pose with that head tilt and raised arm. Also, by shooting down at him, you've elongated his nose.
    7 Pretty solid, but looks a bit hot as well
    8 Looks good. Color balance seems different than 7 which is the same guy at the same location, right? It's always helpful to synchronize WB on similar shots like this so you get good consistency.

Overall, your skin tones are looking good. Seems like you're off to a good start.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks you!!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    Professional results that will please any client. You're in business. The knee doesn't bother me in 1, I find the shot quite iconic. Reminds me of Grace Jones.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    I missed the last piece of info and your specific requests (reading on phone)!!! As far as technicals, they all look great - perhaps a little heavy on the clarity slider for my taste, but that is a taste thing. The knee does bother me - it took me a few seconds to figure out what the heck it was! But otherwise, a strong shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    Put me in the camp the knee doesn't bother me. It's a natural pose to some people and it looks natural here.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    I love these... and just want to know the set up for #1 and 4
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    Foques wrote: »
    I love these... and just want to know the set up for #1 and 4

1. Lighting is ice light at 6 oclock and TD6 with 12 x 36 softbox at 12 oclock

4. Ice light at 6 oclock, two TD6's at 2 and 10 with a single light back about halfway between model and wall.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    I missed the last piece of info and your specific requests (reading on phone)!!! As far as technicals, they all look great - perhaps a little heavy on the clarity slider for my taste, but that is a taste thing. The knee does bother me - it took me a few seconds to figure out what the heck it was! But otherwise, a strong shot thumb.gif

Hmmm... There was no clarity adjustment. I added a slight high pass filter on the hair in #4. Maybe it's the contrast you're referring to?
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    Icelight, eh? thank you.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    Could be contrast. Do you use any kind of hdr filter or the like? It looks ok as is just a little "stylized".
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    You know what bugs me way more than the knee? The nose stud. Looks like a frigging zit. Pretty girls like her don't need that stuff.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2014
    Good stuff...loving #4 a ton! Right arm tattoo on #8 is bugging me though.