Options

Hockey Portrait

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited December 18, 2014 in People
Trying to deal with a lousy background, what do you think?

sk-X2.jpg

ty3-X2.jpg

ty2a-X2.jpg

i-ckfzNws.jpg

i-2WXfKNX.jpg

Please vote or make suggestions. I can't get much more elaborate than this, I have about 90 to do. Thanks.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 2, 2014
    They look good. Nice job on the extractions. Can I ask how you did them?

As for favorites, isn't that for the customer to decide? For me it would be 2, 4 or maybe 5.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    I've asked the customer, just want some more feedback, thanks. Extractions were done in PS with the Topaz ReMask 4 plug-in per Hackbone's suggestion. It works well and it's easy, I think I'll buy it.

I think I might like 5 best, but the customer was specifically worried that the rubber would look bad, and that she wanted them to look like they were on ice, so I tried 1 and 3.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2014
    I understand wanting him to look like he is on the ice, but I prefer #5, if only because it looks like he is actually standing on the ground - the others make it look like he is floating above the ice. I haven't tried the software, so I'm not knocking your work, but I think the little bit of shadow on the ground makes #5 work for me.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2014
    Thanks. I added a little shadow under him in 1,2,3 as well, do you think it would be better if it was darker? Like this?

i-m4R7fSW.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 3, 2014
    Why not drop them into some cool background, like an empty hockey rink? Shouldn't be any more work since they're already cut out, no?
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Why not drop them into some cool background, like an empty hockey rink? Shouldn't be any more work since they're already cut out, no?

With my ps skills I think that would just look fake. At least these are honest composites.
    -Jack

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2014
    I think I like your reworked #1 best. Enough of a shadow to give some definition, and with the darker backdrop, it looks more like he is at the rink.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2014
    Thanks moose. Here's one more take on that:

i-BCwNWvP.jpg

And now the headshot:

i-J6t2Ssg.jpg

i-86FLBG4.jpg

i-Fm3fR8M.jpg

i-TVdXWvx.jpg

Comments/votes on both the headshot and full-body are welcome and appreciated!!
    -Jack

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2014
    The reworked #1 is better than the others IMHO. They all look a little "floaty", but then masking without a shadow to work with or something to anchor the subject is tough. As for the Headshot - #3 is my favorite. Good sets!
    I love Topaz Remask. It's the easiest masking s/w that I have found. Being on the Beta team for Topaz, I had the most fun with Remask during the Beta process.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2014
    I like #1, to me it's more realistic.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2014
    Thanks all.
    Cavalier wrote: »
    I love Topaz Remask. It's the easiest masking s/w that I have found. Being on the Beta team for Topaz, I had the most fun with Remask during the Beta process.

Please pass along my appreciation! I only wish there was a quick way to activate the hand tool to move the picture around when zoomed in, like ctrl+click or something. Or is there?
    -Jack

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2014
    When zoomed in, you can use the H on the keyboard to switch to the Hand (pan) and then Q or W to switch back to Keep and Cut brushes respectively. I find that one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse works for me.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2014
    Thanks!
    -Jack

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2014
    This doesn't help for the hockey but Mark Bryant has some great sports backgrounds for other sports. I could not find a hockey rink however. As you do a lot of sports you might find these useful. Go to the Streetscapes section.

http://photoarttextures.com/index.php?splash=1
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2014
    To be honest I think the cutouts are ok not great. You need to have them on a masked layer and with a selection on the subject apply a Gaussian blur of about 3 pixels and then bring up the layers menu and grab the white marker and drag to the right to remove that white line around your cutout. If you are wanting a hockey background look at these.

http://easydigitals.com/epic-glory-dreams-layered-photoshop-backdrops/
  • Options
    JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2014
    This type of thing is hard to do, takes some practice. Cutting out hair is tough almost have to shoot against the same color as the background you drop them in for that to turn out right. I like #5 best. Youtube Glyn Dewis. He is crazy good at composites. He has a few tutorials on hair cutouts as well as other interesting composite type stuff.
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    Hi,
    I can not see 1 and 2... from the 3-5.. 3 and 4 looks fake and weird (like floating in "something") 5 looks intresting though
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2014
    Sorry if the links aren't working anymore, I had to move things around. Suffice to say, a focus group of 2 board members and 2 parents favor the blue fade. Here's another example:

sk-X2.jpg

Here's the original:

5D3_3775-X2.jpg

Topaz Remask is giving results that are pleasing to me and good enough for this level of business, and it's fast and easy. Although next time I get a job like this I'll probably invest in a backdrop.
    -Jack

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    i'm spying a potential back drop hanging right behind the kid.

I know i'm in minority here, but If I dealt with this situation, i'd be asking for a reshoot rather doing edits.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2014
    Foques wrote: »
    i'm spying a potential back drop hanging right behind the kid.

No, it wasn't big enough:
    5D3_3809-XL.jpg
    I know i'm in minority here, but If I dealt with this situation, i'd be asking for a reshoot rather doing edits.

That wouldn't be possible in this situation, there were about 90 kids there in all their gear just for this shoot. Anyway, so far I've only had to do extractions for the high school varsity players, as they are the only ones with head shots in the program book. (the parents of the two boys above are friends of mine, so I used them as examples) I've put proofs of the JV and middle-schoolers in my gallery as-is, with instructions to select their preferred background from a few samples at the beginning of the gallery when ordering. Then I'll only have to do extractions for people who actually order something, at the time of the order.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited December 17, 2014
    Just thought I'd let you know that the blue fade is the favorite among the hockey parents...

5d3_3874-X2.jpg

5d3_3799-X2.jpg

5d3_3913-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2014
    For the half body shots, have you thought of doing a wide angle shot of the rink they play at, or even one they don't, and then doing a composite? I've had a fair amount of success sales wise with this process.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2014
    For the half body shots, have you thought of doing a wide angle shot of the rink they play at, or even one they don't, and then doing a composite? I've had a fair amount of success sales wise with this process.

I thought about doing that, but I would want to offer it for both the half body and full body to be consistent, and I'm not confident I'd be able to pull it off for the full body.
    -Jack